[Spoiler] War Within Debreifing

Imaru

This is your last warning: THERE ARE SPOILERS AFOOT! LEAVE NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE WAR WITHIN YET.

So I finished The War Within, and I must say that it was more than worth the wait for it. 

I have some criticisms for it, but I'll get to those in time. First what I liked:

The score: the music written for it was amazing, from the rework of This Is What You Are to the original music written for it was flawless from start to finish.

The Tilesets: I loved the look of the Kuva Asteroid Base from top to bottom. The Orokin Mountain was also glorious, and kinda made me feel small after going for 3+ years being practically a god among men. 

The Story: Couldn't be much better in my book, but I would have liked if they dove back into the Sentients. I get that they weren't the main enemy of the quest but with The War Within being the followup to the Second Dream I would have expected it to follow up on the loose ends left by it. The reveal of Teshin as Dax seemed like it was glossed over. It explained why he was working with the Queens, and gave him an excuse to fight us, allowing us to become more than a child in his eyes, but it actually raised more questions, namely how he survived the Tenno Purge at the end of the Old War. Also, when the Queen commands him to kill us, he doesn't obey instantly, as he implies would happen through other dialogue, but rather he resists momentarily, and even explains that we should have no mercy for him so that we can beat him. His will seems to remain his own, his actions don't which strikes me as strange. 

Further, I would have liked an intermediate quest that explained how the Operator regained their physical strength. It seems rather strange to me that after the weakness shown in The Second Dream you were able to just climb out of the Somatic Link as soon as it was severed. And then you were able to just walk around on the planet, even after being stabbed through the leg by a bone. I get that it was a "just a dream" sequence, but it seems kinda odd to me. In fact, the "just a dream" felt like a bit of a cop out to me. I understand how it happened lore wise, but it seemed kinda like an easy way out if you will. It also kinda bothers me that Teshin's Orvius seemed to function as a universal plot device. It can immobilize a Warframe or a Tenno in the flesh, or interact with doors and panels, and possibly more than I'm forgetting. It seemed to get redundant. 

The dialogue: I loved it. I would have liked to understand what my actions would result in (what the "alignment" of my responses to the prompts were) but it all felt rather organic. My biggest complaint is the 180 that the Operator pulled on the Lotus. At the beginning of the quest we were kinda just following her instructions (as normal) then we return to our ship after defeating the Queens and we almost turn on her, complaining that she makes excuses for not telling us our nature and what happened, etc. 

The bugs: I played about 12 hours after the update came out and I didn't encounter a single bug. My Prisma Shade shot at me in the "Purge Sequence" even though I didn't have a shooting precept on it and no weapon equipped on it, but other than that I didn't see any.

The rewards: I was a bit torn on this. I like the rewards, the weapon, blueprint, and the mod seem good, but I haven't activated/unveiled my mod yet. The Glyph seems like a departure from the serious atmosphere of the quest. As for the other rewards, I would have liked to be told where I could get Kuva reliably and I still don't know where to get Orvius Parts. 

The mechanics: there are times in it that are poorly explained. For example, the first encounter with the Golden Maws was really confusing. It said to press Left Control to dodge, and I did, but it didn't seem to respond to my input. Also, I'm still not sure how useful transcending the Transference will be in main gameplay, but it is an interesting mechanic nonetheless. So far it only seems useful to defeat the Kuva Guardians (and Teshin in the quest)

Over all, I would rank it 9/10. The holes I indicated did confuse me and make it a bit less enjoyable, but not enough to ruin it for me. 

That's all I can think of for now, but I will add as I think of more stuff. 

I loved quest, for what it was - lots of really impressive work in there.

Apart from that, no part of this update has given me anything new to do that feels "worth doing."

Overall, that leaves me feeling a bit disappointed. We have new widgets and systems, sure. To reiterate, I thought the quest was great! It just feels like everything else that came with it is... not very interesting or rewarding.

Just now, notlamprey said:

I loved quest, for what it was - lots of really impressive work in there.

Apart from that, no part of this update has given me anything new to do that feels "worth doing."

Overall, that leaves me feeling a bit disappointed. We have new widgets and systems, sure. To reiterate, I thought the quest was great! It just feels like everything else that came with it is... not very interesting or rewarding.

I would agree. Other than the quest (and arguably the associated weapons that require Kuva) the update seems a bit hollow. Like there isn't that much in it for as much as long as it took, though I think the quest makes it worthwhile. 

Thought of another gripe I had with it. 

Limited mission access. I fully understand why they did this: you're technically not able to access your Warframe during majority of the quest. But with that said, I don't think that it was a good choice to make that they case. Imagine for a moment you haven't gotten every Warframe in the game (looking at you Vauban) and an alert for the part of him that you need comes up. You have 2 choices: rush through the rest of the quest, forcing you to be unable to savor it, or savor it and hope that the alert lasts long enough that you can get into one of the last groups doing it before it vanishes for an unknown amount of time.

I don't know how I would improve this issue (perhaps a "Pause Quest" button somewhere in the UI) but I don't feel that it is an ideal way to do things, especially with so much of the game and content availability limited by RNG. 

Seriously it was awesome. I literally paused for a moment when I noticed the music. The maxed out the volume. So awesome.

And I seriously love the new tileset.

Also, did anyone notice the queens actually change the dialog during the final fight depending on your choices?

Edited by -skimmer-

7 minutes ago, kasalaba said:

I agree with what you say. Also you get kuva and disc parts from the siphon encounters. Disc items drop the mobs, kuva guards and jesters, and kuva from preventing the machine to get any.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Kuva_Siphon

Yes, I've figured that out, but thanks. Nonetheless, it feels like adding a mechanic for the sole purpose of getting a resource is a bit odd to me. 

And a belated revelation: we should have known we could use Tranference without the Somatic Link. After all: contact with the Warframe at the end of The Second Dream reestablished the link.