New mods are a missed opportunity

WereFowl

The new Riven mods are a missed opportunity in my opinion. As they are now they just feel like a lottery ticket as to if you'll even get them on a good weapon or not. Never mind the actual bonuses. With nearly every other aspect of the game the player has agency: If something only drops rarely from a rare enemy you specifically hunt said rare enemy in maps you know it appears often. If you need a rare prime part mod, you and 3 other friends can significantly increase your chances with maxed upgrade relics.

Meanwhile with Riven mods It's entirely down to RNG, you have no control over what the weapon will be or the effect with each reroll. This is especially bad when you consider we are extremely limited in our ability to get more.

They could have implemented something where we can craft our own riven mods.

For example: It could cost a maxed rank base weapon (so a normal braton rather than a praton prime or mk-1 braton) and up to 4 maxed rank mods with the fourth being a corrupted mod. Those mods would determine the type of effects, with a max number of effects being 4 (including the corrupted mods negative effect) These effect would be additive, so vile acceleration with serration shred and metal auger would add punch through fire rate and damage. 

As for how much, that could be something like 75% of the average effect from all mods (so if putting both heavy calibre and serration wouldn't be that good) then +50% if the base weapon has a catalyst and +10% per forma.

Then for crafting it the cost (in kuva) is determined by how powerful it will be and we get a challenge of a suitable difficulty (and difficulty shouldn't mean more increasingly arbitrary and unfair challenges, that just feel like a petty annoyance rather than a test of skill)

That way it actually makes us feel like we deserved a really powerful mod, rather than now where teshin basically gives us a lottery ticket. Not only that but it would make these mods feel like actual end game content, as it would be end game players who could get the most fun out of them and lets them use up all the endo they will be accumulating waiting for new mods to max. In addition, you'd be more likely to want these mods for bad but fun weapons, if you actually had control over what you'd get. Rather than now, where you're going to be hunting for Riven mods for good weapons and saving your kuva for rerolling the effects only for the good weapon mods.

that i dont fly high and hit hard the ground "after" some whatever wakeup-gimmick ingame - any idea what the laser rifle fevaton mod is ?

if its sentinel only im not shure if i level it with kuva, if its for all laserrifles in the game im happy to have it

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, aoguro said:

that i dont fly high and hit hard the ground "after" some whatever wakeup-gimmick ingame - any idea what the laser rifle fevaton mod is ?

if its sentinel only im not shure if i level it with kuva, if its for all laserrifles in the game im happy to have it

Er... What?

Also the fact people are getting sentinel weapon mods shows how ridiculous the RNG here is. (Those poor Kubrows)

I like them, they seem like many other RPGs that have random stats, like Diablo 3. With this system, there is a sense of competitiveness in a cooperative game. It's easy to get the same gear as every one else, but now your gear can be better. I like that idea, honestly.

2 minutes ago, aoguro said:

if its sentinel only im not shure if i level it with kuva, if its for all laserrifles in the game im happy to get it

You level Rivens the same way you level any other mod... you can spend Kuva to reroll the bonuses/penalties.

I have a Hind-only mod, boosts crit chance (kinda useless), refire and toxin damage. Gonna have to reroll it, I think.

Just now, CadenFall said:

I like them, they seem like many other RPGs that have random stats, like Diablo 3. With this system, there is a sense of competitiveness in a cooperative game. It's easy to get the same gear as every one else, but now your gear can be better. I like that idea, honestly.

The thing is: In diablo all the weapons are randomised, and you're very limited in your options for customisation. Usually it's just gem slots with very fixed effects from a small pool.

Warframe, on the other, hand uses weapons with fixed stats and we can customise them with mods that offer fixed bonuses. Throwing RNG in there just doesn't make sense, especially like this, where it means that only already very powerful weapons are going to benefit, sure you might keep a Riven mod for a bad but fun weapon you already own, but unless the effect is awful, you're probably not going to bother rerolling it for a really good effect.

1 minute ago, WereFowl said:

Warframe, on the other, hand uses weapons with fixed stats and we can customise them with mods that offer fixed bonuses. Throwing RNG in there just doesn't make sense, especially like this, where it means that only already very powerful weapons are going to benefit, sure you might keep a Riven mod for a bad but fun weapon you already own, but unless the effect is awful, you're probably not going to bother rerolling it for a really good effect.

Well, Diablo was built from the ground up with random stats. Warframe wasn't, in fact Warframe wasn't a lot of stuff it is today. They have to start some where. They introduce new mechanics to see how they work, and they can better perfect them. I personally like Riven mods a lot, are they good? Honestly I don't know yet it's too soon. But I do hope they make it better if it needs it.

14 minutes ago, aoguro said:

(Prime) Laser Rifle is Wyrm (Prime)'s default weapon, so your Laser Rifle mod is for that weapon only.

i cant find any laserweapon to use it, its MR12 locked and im MR22 and i have only the primed laser rifle for my sentinel left ... the laser rifle for my sentinel is deleted because i dont need it

it doesnt appear in the mods menue for the prime laser rifle

ok, as usual, looks like a few days have to pass by for being clear about new things

and as usual 2, some of the new mods appear as useful, some for shure not )))

the last update before this one is a long time back, i have forgotten the most of the "usual" developmentstyle )))

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

They're not a missed opportunity. They're a mistake. They need to be disabled until they're turned into something that isn't toxic for the game. They could have at least been untradeable for a certain time so they could get feedback on them.

getting real @(*()$ tired of up voting you, making all kinds of sense all over the damn place

4 minutes ago, FoxyKabam said:

getting real @(*()$ tired of up voting you, making all kinds of sense all over the damn place

Salty sense though. I could have worded it better, but to be blunt, rivens are bad. They are not good design, they are horrendously unhealthy for the game, and they need a lot of work and a lot of testing and a system like this is far too bloody volatile to be shoved into the game without warning and without testing, freely open to all for trading and farming.

Even if it is a beta, doing stuff like that is just not good. The concept is great but the execution is anything but.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Just now, AdunSaveMe said:

Salty sense though. I could have worded it better, but to be blunt, rivens are bad. They are not good design, they are horrendously unhealthy for the game, and they need a lot of work and a lot of testing and a system like this is far too bloody volatile to be shoved into the game without warning and without testing, freely open to all for trading and farming.

Even if it is a beta, doing stuff like that is just not good.

take your damn upvote

AGAIN

7 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Even if it is a beta, doing stuff like that is just not good. The concept is great but the execution is anything but.

I can't say I disagree with you. Right now they're just absurd. Also are they 1 per weapon or not? I doubt there are that many people currently in a position to find out, but that could be ridiculous.