General Bug Report Guidelines - Please Read ×

Using Controller on PC Doesn't Work for TWW

Max7238

Toggle-crouch is the accepted "crouch" by the Operator, but in normal missions that makes things incredibly difficult. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure, that removes the ability to dodge-roll with a controller. Hold-to-crouch still works as normal in a Warframe, and should work as an Operator as well.
Further, currently it is impossible for me to use Transference without using my keyboard. It should be changed so that if the Focus ability of the user is down, then Transference is used instead. Another option would be to have the Focus ability be a tap, while Transference is a hold of the button.

1 minute ago, Asparizan said:

Why exactly are you using a controller on PC?

i also use a controller, but also a mouse. sometimes ppl just prefer a controller over mouse and keyboard, thats how my friend is.

to op i also noticed that using the 5 ability while using next previous power wont activate tenno and is forced to use 5 on keyboard, changed mine to a extra button on my mouse for some convience

2 minutes ago, Fostinator said:

Because he is allowed to use whatever controller method he wants. DE just needs to fix these issues very soon.

I know, but this is PC, meaning that most people here use keyboard and mouse. Controller support on PC games has always been second class. (Subtract bad ports, Games like Rocket League or Dark Souls)

But you're still right about it being an issue that needs to be fixed, just know that it will never be high priority on PC.

Edited by Asparizan
Weird formatting

1 minute ago, Asparizan said:

I know, but this is PC, meaning that most people here use keyboard and mouse. Controller support on PC games has always been second class. (Subtract S#&$ty ports, Games like Rocket League or Dark Souls)

But you're still right about it being an issue that needs to be fixed, just know that it will never be high priority on PC.

DE however does OFFICIALLY support the Steam Controller. Im not sure what they broke, but for right now, their official controller support has broken in multiple areas and its a shame.

58 minutes ago, Kio-reki said:

I hope they fix this issue soon. 1100+ hours playing with a controller and I'm being pretty much forced to play with KB+M. This game is so much more comfortable for me on a controller.

Agreed 100%. About the same playtime here too, with a controller. I CAN use a KB+M, but it's just not natural to me at all.

I usually have:

Power selector on : left d-pad

poweractivate: d-pad up

I bound the Power E (5) to the select button and got it to work

that lost my set marker binding but it works.

Also there is a lag when switching on doing anything so it may seem like it is not working but perhaps you just keep getting hit or hitting the button too many times.

using crouch and jump for everything is strange with so many open buttons so I assume it was overlooked since at no time does the game attempt to detect your input device and give instructions in that context.   i hope that changes in the future and that form gets a binding section.

I beg you DE, test this game on PC with a controller and attempt to use every menu. It won't work in most. With touchscreens, a wacom tablet, a 3d navigator and a controller, the only reason I buy mice is this game, that would be plat.

about to buy my 4th mouse solely for this game because a wacom tablet goes nuts in it. Decent mice aren't cheap, that's #plat

Warframe has supported a controller for ages but now that they have ported the game to console it would seem like an intelligent step to begin integrating both control systems into their designs (instead of ignoring it in favor of a bolted on systems like focus, Archwing, SPOILER, etc...).

It's not just a smart move because it caters to a certain player base either.  Many game franchises have moved to simplified control schemes over the years because it provides a tighter and more focused game. Mechwarrior ran into this issue ages ago and Blizzard recently changed Diablo to a more simple control system; to name a few examples.

This makes the game more accessible to new players and forces devs to use clever system overhauls to improve their experience. Warframe isn't going to grow by adding more keyboard load with each new bolted on addition.

23 hours ago, Asparizan said:

I know, but this is PC, meaning that most people here use keyboard and mouse. Controller support on PC games has always been second class. (Subtract bad ports, Games like Rocket League or Dark Souls)

I am a convert from console to PC, so I am more comfortable with a controller in my hand than with a M/K. Add to that, the game is also played on XB1 and PS4, both using controllers. If this isn't just a PC issue (but a controller map issue), then it would likely be something they would want to address before releasing on console. 

I was able to tolerate it thru TWW. But when I get invaded in alerts by big red bullies, I am stuck not being able to defend myself, unless I want to stop and remap for just that fight. May not be a huge deal to normal PC M/K players, but for those that use the controller (and there are many) its down right annoying.

Have you considered remapping Toggle to Crouch to one of your D-Pad buttons?  Not ideal but you can at least keep most things mapped without having to rebind anything assuming you're using the default control scheme.  In my case, I set it to left on the D-Pad and while it's clunky, at least it's functional.

26 minutes ago, Retequizzle said:

Have you considered remapping Toggle to Crouch to one of your D-Pad buttons?  Not ideal but you can at least keep most things mapped without having to rebind anything assuming you're using the default control scheme.  In my case, I set it to left on the D-Pad and while it's clunky, at least it's functional.

No matter what you do you are going to lose out on some kind of functionality.  At best you lose map toggle and have a harder time aiming powers. At worst you lose the ability to quickly use items, perform effective parcour combat or even lose the ability to use alt fire.

Everyone might have preferences but we're all giving up something M&K players don't even have to consider. It's a two tier system right now and the obvious shortfalls of controller play in TWW shows that DE do not feel controller play is a priority when releasing or designing content.

Not even sure what we can expect in the future if DE chooses not never engage in conversation about controller support.

20 minutes ago, Wandrecanada said:

No matter what you do you are going to lose out on some kind of functionality.  At best you lose map toggle and have a harder time aiming powers. At worst you lose the ability to quickly use items, perform effective parcour combat or even lose the ability to use alt fire.

Everyone might have preferences but we're all giving up something M&K players don't even have to consider. It's a two tier system right now and the obvious shortfalls of controller play in TWW shows that DE do not feel controller play is a priority when releasing or designing content.

Not even sure what we can expect in the future if DE chooses not never engage in conversation about controller support.

I agree completely, and as a controller player myself I'm just as frustrated by it.  The only reason I'm getting by without effectively losing anything aside from Transference being seamless is because I was already using the default binds,which for the most part leaves the D-Pad untouched.  Like I said, it's definitely not ideal in the meantime, I'm just attempting to offer solutions that DE didn't have the foresight to consider beforehand.

Thanks to the idea to use the D-pad, I think I got it working ok.
Here's what I use, and maybe it'll help someone:
LB is my hold-crouch, which is also roll and slide based on context
RB is my power menu, so I can hold it down to use one of the face buttons to activate a power (and I HAVE to on, say, Inaros to channel is Devour). I used to also tap it and use the left and right D-pad to select powers, so I'll just have to get used to this now.
LT is aim. RT is shoot.
Y is change weapons
X is reload and context action
A is jump
B is quick melee and melee
Holding LS is sprint
Pressing RS is alt-fire
D-pad down is items, D-pad up is waypoint, left is toggle crouch now, right is Transference
Select is area map

It's true that now I'll have a tougher time aiming some abilities here and there, but if I'm quick, I don't think it'll end up being much of an issue. Until this is fixed as I proposed in the OP, this will do.