(TWW) Can we talk about the lack of an "abort mission" button?

CaptainCalvin

'cause i feel like we need to talk about it.

Yeah, pressing alt-F4 to quit your game isn't difficult, but it's inconvenient and unwise.  If the game is saving data when you do it, it can cause hardware issues and corrupt files.  Not to mention there's the chance you close something else important on accident.  This is game design 101, you ALWAYS give players the option to conveniently stop playing.  You don't get rid of it just because it's "cinematic".  To top it all off, when I found a glitch preventing me from completing the final mission and had to alt-F4 to reset the game, the game acted as if I completed the mission when I rebooted, and as a result I missed the entire ending of the questline.

if you don't know what I'm talking about, if you pause/press ESC during The War Within's cinematic quests, you will notice that the 'abort mission' option was removed from the menu.

If it turns out I'm just an angry dumbass and I missed the button because it's shape/location in the pause menu was changed please tell me.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an abort button but, what I want to do is point out there is such a thing as ctrl+alt+delete so you can  open task manager if you some how screw up Alt+F4 because this is the first I've ever heard of closing something important by accident when warframe is the target program/application that you are running. Not to mention some how you get these hardware issues and corrupt files you speak of.

Anyway, regardless of all that I just said, I will tell you right now that you're not an angry dumbass who missed it, because there wasn't a quit button, abort or anything of the kind. It was a do or die type quest. You either do it now or you don't.

Edited by Alcatraz

14 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an abort button, but what I want to do is point out there is such a thing as ctrl+alt+delete and open task manager if you some how screw up Alt+F4 because this is the first I've ever heard of closing something important by accident when warframe is the target program/application that you are running. Not to mention some how you get these hardware issues and corrupt files you speak of.

Anyway, regardless of all that I just said, I will tell you right now that you're not an angry dumbass who missed it, because there wasn't a quit button, abort or anything of the kind. It was a do or die type quest. You either do it now or you don't.

Yes, i know about ctrl-alt-delete.  In fact I also know that pressing ctrl-shift-ESC also bring up the task manager without leaving the desktop screen.  I often run other programs like web browsers or music players, on rare occasions I have accidentally closed one of those programs due to clumsiness rather than the game.  My point was really just that someone else could have something else important (like a school paper, or something).  Perhaps I made it sound like a more major problem?  Just trying to point out that mistakes happen and having to force-close a program with alt-F4 can cause mistakes.

16 minutes ago, Sitchrea said:

Did you miss the message that said TWW is a no-turning-back mission?

No I obviously did not miss it.  And I believe that warning was intended to let you know that you could not visit other planets or wander the orbiter between missions like with other questlines.  That i am perfectly ok with.  What i'm not ok is the implication that you are not allowed to quit the game at all, and having to leave a game running on my electricity-devouring computer while I take a break to make dinner for my family is something that is quite annoying and inconvenient.

Edited by CaptainCalvin

Just now, CaptainCalvin said:

I often run other programs like web browsers or music players, on rare occassions I have accidentally closed one of those programs due to clumsiness rather than the game.  My point was really just that someone else could have something else important (like a school paper, or something).  Perhaps I made it sound like a more major problem?  Just trying to point out that mistakes happen and having to force-close a program with alt-F4 can cause mistakes.

Blaming the developers for a key mistroke is not valid criticism.

17 minutes ago, Sitchrea said:

Did you miss the message that said TWW is a no-turning-back mission?

There's nothing wrong with no turning back missions, but not letting players logout during it is a bad decision. I have no problem with forcing players to finish the quest before they get access to the rest of the game again, but not letting them logout means players can't stop if RL calls and resume at a time convenient for them, and that's the wrong track to take.

Well, players can if they kill the warframe process in the task manager, but they shouldn't have to go that far.