Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Throwing weapons need a change.

Acherontic_

DE,

Throwing weapons need an adjustment.

Now this perspective is from someone who adores throwing weapons, has used them extensively, and wants to use them as their go-to melee.

Especially with the recent weapons added to Warframe, the viability of throwing weapons can be a hit and miss, some, like the Cerata, can be quite good when used like a normal melee weapon, others... not so much.

But the issue is, they aren't a normal melee weapon, their whole purpose is to be thrown. And before melee 2.0 that was nearly the only thing they could do.

One thing is, mods that could normally be utilized for damage, must be sacrificed for mods like Power throw, Whirlwind, and Quick return. to ensure that throwing the weapon is powerful and responsive. This seems like a worthy sacrifice, as you sacrifice up-close damage for a powerful throw.

...well

The ability to use Glaive-style weapons up close and from a distance is very nice, but there's one huge issue when throwing them.

You need to swing first, wait for a charge up, then throw it. This entire process takes way too long, and they can no longer be thrown while sliding, jumping, or gliding. The only way to throw them is to stand near-still for a few seconds as the animations all play out.

Spoiler

This is ESPECIALLY awful with the slow swing speed of the "newest throwing weapon" added. As you have to sit and wait for the first swing to finish, then the slow, lengthy charge up. Then you need to wait for the weapon to slowly return to you if you do not have whirlwind. Leaving you, not only vulnerable to enemies, but sitting there, waiting.

Throwing weapons need... perhaps a mode selection, or a stance, or something, to where throwing it didn't take twice as long as it used to. They need the ability to be thrown when the melee button is held. Not swung first.

For those that are curious:

Spoiler

The beginning of this video displays... how easily it should be thrown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTvFhpB4VFs

I really think one of the coolest and classic weapon types in warframe need to be more useable.

Edited by Aion-Atlas

26 minutes ago, D20 said:

All throwing weapon desperately need a drastic stat increase. They're the most obsolete kind of melee in the game along with Machetes as it is. Furthermore, Gunblade made them even less relevant. :/

A stat buff would be welcome, but fixing their handling would be enough to make me use them again.

19 minutes ago, Aion-Atlas said:

Throwing weapons need... perhaps a mode selection, or a stance, or something, to where throwing it didn't take twice as long as it used to. They need the ability to be thrown when the melee button is held. Not swung first

This is stopping me from using them too. But DE has already come out and said that it's a systemic issue caused by the implementation of combos, and that there is no way of fixing it short of rebuilding the whole system from first-key-press onward.

Which is pretty darn crap, considering that the thrown-melees were really damn cool (before the reintroduction of charge attacks).

I love thrown melees but yes they need a revisit.

1. yes, the toss then throw is not needed (but I've gotten used to it tbh)
  2. Stat increase might be nice, but there is a bigger issue. They will never be able to compete with gunblades in terms of damage, so we need to focus on giving the thrown melees special utilities. The Kestrel's "throw back" is great, as is the Halikars disarm (if the Halikar actually worked properly). The Orvious's lifting is nice as well, except you need to fully equip and channel it for it to work. 
  3. We need a mod that increases the charge speed like the old Reflex Coil. However, this might make Gunblades that much more powerful.
  4. The arsenal stats need to show things like bounces and other important stats for thrown melees.

Just return to before uptade 18... :awkward: Since U18, throwing weapons no longer exists. It HAS been a year ...
It's a bug? Not a bug? We have to charge? Not to charge? 
Not nice, not nice, we loved our throwing weapons. 

(Désolé je parle Français :satisfied:)

Edited by (PS4)InBloodWeTrust

1 hour ago, (PS4)InBloodWeTrust said:

Just return to before uptade 18... :awkward: Since U18, throwing weapons no longer exists. It's been a year ...
It's a bug? Not a bug? We have to charge? Not to charge? 
Not nice, not nice, we loved our throwing weapons. 

Goodness, it has been over a year since throwing weapons were quick-throw.

Another thing is I feel that all throwing weapons should have homing built in, because without it theres almost no point in using mods that increase bounce, most of what I've seen is that people run Quick return after throwing it at one enemy to quickly re-throw it again.

5 hours ago, Zleidr said:

Another thing is I feel that all throwing weapons should have homing built in, because without it theres almost no point in using mods that increase bounce, most of what I've seen is that people run Quick return after throwing it at one enemy to quickly re-throw it again.

Absolutely not. Have you used that Halikar? You see how well its homing works? I don't want a computer deciding which target it thinks I'm aiming at and often I don't want it to target the enemy, rather the ground beneath them or wall behind them in order to get that explosion. Put that on a mod instead.

2 hours ago, Insizer said:

Absolutely not. Have you used that Halikar? You see how well its homing works? I don't want a computer deciding which target it thinks I'm aiming at and often I don't want it to target the enemy, rather the ground beneath them or wall behind them in order to get that explosion. Put that on a mod instead.

Orvius has been pretty decent at the homing when channeled, it hasn't really flew where I didnt want it to.

1 hour ago, Zleidr said:

Orvius has been pretty decent at the homing when channeled, it hasn't really flew where I didnt want it to.

Yes, the Orvius' homing is nice, but I have had issues with it when it comes to crowds. There are also are times when you want some aim assist and times you don't, when I don't want homing because I don't want to hit an enemy, but rather nearby terrain to get a crowd of enemies. Passive homing can make or break weapons and it is something that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I'd rather have something reliable and something that I have total control over. 

I'm afraid of seeing the entire thrown melee class being like the Halikar. Because then I really will have to toss all my thrown melees (including my favorite melee) out like I did the Halikar.

I won't argue that the Orvius' homing is good. That is why I'd be in favor of a thrown melee mod that gives that homing to quick throws and/or channeled throws.