Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The war within spoilers: the last scene and why its called the war within

(NSW)Estalior

I just realized a BIG question looming in my head. Why is the quest called the war within???

There is literally no war going within. All there is it's you getting back some memories and powers and getting free of the queen.

So why do I get the feeling that the main part/theme of the quest was never in it? That's right, I am talking about the choice symbol. And the last scene, the one after you decide what to do with the vial of kuva. If you consume it the voice welcomes you. If you throw it the voice basically makes clear that you are codependent somehow and that you seem defiant to it. It could be YOUR MOM, Margulis, hell it could be the void itself.

The point is: I feel like the main part of what the quest was hinted to be is not in the actual quest.

Besides, how did the Lotus know to tell you "We fight on two fronts now,bla bla bla, the war within" if this was something she did not know?

Also I hate the "It was all a dream" mechanic of the quest, it sux.

Someone would say that the war is between you and the queen. But its not, you do not actually defeat her inside your head. You do nothing. And it is supposed to be that then how did Lotus know what to hint in the end of TSD?

This felt like a prequel to the war within. Because it hyped the questions it asked and answered none, and revealed nothing.

Thoughts?

One of the queens got into your head, that's something you missed. How you were told lies to protect you from your powers that placed a burden upon you and had to fight past the influence to find the truth. The whole Kuva thing is pretty much self explaining why it's called the war within, your mind was being invaded and you had to fight back to avoid being destroyed and taken over.
A lot of the quest has to do with struggling with choices, deciding who you would be, let hate and power take over or fight to protect and forgive. 

Just now, JSharpie said:

Did you play the quest? It's a war within yourself. The queen was trying to take your body and you fought against her, in your own psyche.

Of course I finished it. But I saw no war within myself. In the end I just got out because I got enough powers and killed her in real life.

There are multiple reasons why this quest could classify as War Within,

1, The queen gets into your head and your basically fighting her off "The War within Your head"

2, The queen reveals the truth about Margulis and and the truth about what happened to all the parents on the Zariman Ten Zero "The war with yourself over what you did on that ship.

I thought it was pretty obvious .....

1 minute ago, Midrib said:

There are multiple reasons why this quest could classify as War Within,

1, The queen gets into your head and your basically fighting her off "The War within Your head"

2, The queen reveals the truth about Margulis and and the truth about what happened to all the parents on the Zariman Ten Zero "The war with yourself over what you did on that ship.

I thought it was pretty obvious .....

I know but it hints most of it, and in the end we do not know what our choices meant. And the war is won outside our mind. And if in the end it is the queen in our head and we cannot change that, it is a pointless war as well.

The whole "it's all in your head" thing is cheesy and cliche by now.
Why didn't we just actually sever the link to our warframe, and then go do the whole "regain transference" thing? 

The "overcome yourself and your weakness" story is old and tired. Especially when it takes place on a (god damn) mountain.
I get that the Grineer is ancient and mystical in relation to where the are in the story, but they were also space conquering overlords and masterminds. Why the (f*ck) would they build anything inside a mountain
We could just as well (even better actually) have done all this malarkey in some abandoned orokin training facility, or and old warehouse used to store Sandskates.
The mountain was pretty, and the snow effect wasn't bad as such, but 

Apart from all that the coices you made didn't seem to do diddly, which means that now we might get stuck with consequences that doesn't match our choices, if DE ever makes them mean something.

19 minutes ago, kasalaba said:

And it is supposed to be that then how did Lotus know what to hint in the end of TSD?

It's a foreshadowing technique for the player/audience's benefit. Lotus probably meant that the Operator is likely going to have a lot of inner conflicts now that they have awakened. But somewhere on the back of her motherly mind, she probably knew her 'children' would soon start to question if they could 'grow out' of their confinement to the somatic link.

Edited by RunningTree3

1 minute ago, BenzinNinJa said:

Hide contents

The whole "it's all in your head" thing is cheesy and cliche by now.
Why didn't we just actually sever the link to our warframe, and then go do the whole "regain transference" thing? 

The "overcome yourself and your weakness" story is old and tired. Especially when it takes place on a (god damn) mountain.
I get that the Grineer is ancient and mystical in relation to where the are in the story, but they were also space conquering overlords and masterminds. Why the (f*ck) would they build anything inside a mountain
We could just as well (even better actually) have done all this malarkey in some abandoned orokin training facility, or and old warehouse used to store Sandskates.
The mountain was pretty, and the snow effect wasn't bad as such, but 

Apart from all that the coices you made didn't seem to do diddly, which means that now we might get stuck with consequences that doesn't match our choices, if DE ever makes them mean something.

I don't know if you noticed, but the qieen was orokin.  AKA she knows everything about you, your frame, transference.
The grineer were slaves who did all the dirty work for the orokin, did you not see the orokin figures when you went in or pay attention to what Tenshin was saying?
I feel like nobody actually payed attention and took in TWW. A lot of things have been overlooked. 

20 minutes ago, xFrostKnightx said:

I don't know if you noticed, but the qieen was orokin.  AKA she knows everything about you, your frame, transference.
The grineer were slaves who did all the dirty work for the orokin, did you not see the orokin figures when you went in or pay attention to what Tenshin was saying?
I feel like nobody actually payed attention and took in TWW. A lot of things have been overlooked. 

I got that the queens are Orokin, and get how they relate to the Grineer. I didn't notice the figurines though.

I did pay attention though, but I didn't like going through the same old "it's all in your head" story combined with the over used "mountain pass trials" ordeal.
I get that most story plots that I'll encounter in my life has already been written in some way or another, if you look at the basics of it, but the devil (quality of your story) seem to lie in how you tell it and how it relates to your universe, and how those methods relate to your audience.

Although I will never claim to represent the entire audience for whatever DE comes up with, I do maintain that it's important to not go cliché (unless you're doing satire, comedy, or other "funny stuff"), and equally important to bring up new interpretations of the story you're telling. DE modified aspects of the story to make it fit the universe, but they didn't make it new or fresh.

The bad guy is someone who knows more about us than we ourselves do, a friend turns betrayer turns friend and is also a mentor of sorts. The friend/mentor (frientor?) is also wise and old, and relates to us a being young (kids) and unexperiences (compared to him, because he knows more than he lets on). The monster inside the mountain cave is not a cyclops or a dragon, but some sort of Orokin tunnel horror.
We're faced with three choices which really boils down to good, neutral, or bad, which aids in making the story feel rushed, as it could (should) have been done with greater ambiguity and elaboration.

8 minutes ago, Akavakaku said:

I doubt it, her word choice is very different. She would say "child," not "kiddo."

That's what I think too. I thought at the begining that it is the void itself, but if you consume it the voice welcomes you. Basically the answer lies in what Kuva really is.

3 minutes ago, kasalaba said:

That's what I think too. I thought at the begining that it is the void itself, but if you consume it the voice welcomes you. Basically the answer lies in what Kuva really is.

Maybe it's the same kind of stuff they fed Ordis before he became the ships cephalon? Ballas gave Ordis a red vial which gave him eternal "life", even if being a cephalon is stretching the term "life" a bit.

1 hour ago, Venom-Snake said:

Maybe because the name of the quest a metaphor not a literall thing?

I'm still thinking about this, but I think it was meant to be both.

What we went through with the queens very much was a war within for your own self--an external struggle that took place within your psyche. You fought the queens for control of yourself, your warframe(s), and your future.

However, we're also in a conflict with the demands of being a creature of the void itself. The creation of the tenno was a traumatic experience and it echoes within the operator down through time. The nature of the void is still something we know very little of, but I'm beginning to suspect it's another dimension that might very well be occupied.

There's another shoe yet to drop.

1 hour ago, Aimop95 said:

There's a theory bouncing around that the voice at the end of the quest is actually the Void itself talking to us.

Not really a theory if you pay attention to the story.

It's practically all about the Void and the Tenno.

The Void is what gives the Tenno their power. 

7 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

Now the thing about the voice everyone is missing is that the word 'kiddo' is only said to be used by the Player character's father. 

So what I'm saying to that is"

????

We've seen characters like Vor get possessed by the Void.

I don't think its the queen. There was part of the dialogue during the mind sequence that talked about the catastrophe that struck the ship that might be important. It was about how the adults aboard the ship lost their minds and went crazy. I'm thinking what either led them to go crazy either infected you too or cause their minds to jump similarly to the continuity that the Orokin undergo. So either the person who speaks is your dad or the very thing that decided to attack the ship in the void and caused the events to occur. 

Despite what I think, it could be the queen but it might also be Ballas or some other Orokin like one of the emperors. I'm pretty sure we managed to drive the queen out of our head though. It was why she recoiled in the cut-scene following us returning to reality and made her sister flee to start doing the Kuva siphon stuff. 

Edited by OmniLight