Jump to content

Riven Mod bias


Mastikator2
 Share

Recommended Posts

AFAIK there isn't a bias, but I think there should be. The riven mod should be biased to become based on whatever equipment you use when you unlock it. It shouldn't be a guarantee but it should be more likely.

For example, you get a veiled rifle mod, you unlock it using your trusted Soma Prime, the veiled mod is more likely to be Soma Prime.

You also happen to carry a Sonicor, so if it turns out to be a secondary weapon it should be more biased to Sonicor.

Spoiler

Also, it should under no circumstances become a SENTINEL WEAPON. I got a Riven mod for friggin Laser Rifle, yeah, the WYRM weapon. Oh sure I totally get so many kills with my Wyrm that I haven't used literally in YEARS. I haven't equipped my Wyrm since 2014 and now I get a Riven mod for that crappy sentinel piece of dung? Who thought this was a good idea?

"hey, lets make a random mod that can potentially be very powerful, lulz lets make it a SENTIEL WEAPON just to screw with the players" Who even uses sentinels to kill stuff?

Nobody that's who! Even if you use sentinels to kill stuff you still don't use sentinel to kill stuff

And for the melee weapon and warframe too.

I don't know what the bias strength should be, it would be cool if perhaps it checked which weapons you owned and have used a lot in the past. And maybe have a preference for weapons that are close to the mastery rank it is associated with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

inb4 everyone equipping them all on the Dread, Tonkor, Soma Prime, Simulor etc etc and the new mods become yet another mandatory space in builds.

I know that's what I'd do :T

 

Edited by Keybopsef
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had the same thought the day of TWW release but making it a controlled by players reduces rng grind so generally any proposal that asks for grind/rng reduction just never happens and any in-game frame/weapon/location/strategy that significantly reduces that also gets nerfed as it's just against the spirit of Warframe. Good Luck.

'Yo dawgs, we heard you like rng grind so we put rng grind in your rng and grind'

Edited by TrinityPrime
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Saske92 said:

I disagree, choosing the weapon you want your mod to be unveiled for would just make the power creep bigger. Right now it actually provides weapon diversity.

Just because my first two Riven Mods have been Daikyu and Torid (both of which I don't have) doesn't mean i'm going to craft either of those and start using them though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, -Mr.Meeseeks- said:

Just because my first two Riven Mods have been Daikyu and Torid (both of which I don't have) doesn't mean i'm going to craft either of those and start using them though.

I believe that's another problem with these Riven mods.

Weapons that don't need them get one that gives like +100% crit damage or whatever whereas other weapons like the Gorgon get mods that give bonuses to zoom and heat damage but reduce damage against infested.

just wat.

Sure let's make bad weapons even worse but adding dizzying levels of unnecessary zoom and reducing effectiveness against a faction which it could do well again (an LMG is perfect for mowing down hordes of prey-driven infested zombies).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Mastikator2 said:

Nobody that's who! Even if you use sentinels to kill stuff you still don't use sentinel to kill stuff

This is hilarious, thanks.  And I agree completely.  

26 minutes ago, Mastikator2 said:

For example, you get a veiled rifle mod, you unlock it using your trusted Soma Prime, the veiled mod is more likely to be Soma Prime.

I would not want this to be a thing for reasons already stated by others, but I would have liked to get a mod for a weapon I actually owned at least.  I got a Paris one, I don't have Paris (Prime), I cannot stand the charge sound it makes and haven't used it since maxing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, -Mr.Meeseeks- said:

Just because my first two Riven Mods have been Daikyu and Torid (both of which I don't have) doesn't mean i'm going to craft either of those and start using them though.

I'll trade you a paris one for the torid one, at least I have torid. lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Keybopsef said:

inb4 everyone equipping them all on the Dread, Tonkor, Soma Prime, Simulor etc etc and the new mods become yet another mandatory space in builds.

I know that's what I'd do :T

 

Mods excluse to weapons you never use are 100% guaranteed to be useless.  The thing about riven mods is that they have randomized stats, so while many players may aim for the same weapon they still wouldn't get the same mod.

However if you're like me and got it for a crap weapon that you wouldn't use in any circumstances then the experience of getting this mod is a dose of salt only 20% below lethal levels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Keybopsef said:

inb4 everyone equipping them all on the Dread, Tonkor, Soma Prime, Simulor etc etc and the new mods become yet another mandatory space in builds.

I know that's what I'd do :T

 

This is something, I personally feel, is what Riven mods are meant to diverge from. Again, in my opinion, they're supposed to be mods that encourage players to use weapons that are currently seen as not worth their time. Obviously if the mod grants perks that don't appeal to the player or weapon they're connected to's strengths, that's a negative impact, but the core idea I'm seeing is "Hey, the Pathera isn't a widely used weapon, here's a mod that increases multishot or status or whatever by 250%. Give it a try now!"

Whether these mods are successful at encouraging this is for another debate, but to encourage players to only keep using the already outstanding weapons, as your suggestion would do, takes away from what I see these mods are attempting to accomplish as a whole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mastikator2 said:

Mods excluse to weapons you never use are 100% guaranteed to be useless.  The thing about riven mods is that they have randomized stats, so while many players may aim for the same weapon they still wouldn't get the same mod.

However if you're like me and got it for a crap weapon that you wouldn't use in any circumstances then the experience of getting this mod is a dose of salt only 20% below lethal levels.

The way I see it, it's not because of the weapons but that the mods are often really bad. And that's indirectly because some weapons themselves have no stats to speak of.

For example, I got a mod for the Gorgon, right? +73% zoom, +102% heat damage and -20% damage vs infested. 

Zoom. On the Gorgon. An LMG that's about as steady the Tenno were when they first got out of the reservoir :clap::clap::clap: 

And I got a mod that increases its zoom capabilities.

Now I know you don't really wanna zoom in with it anyway but you get the point.

It's weapons like these that can't afford these double-edged mods because they're simply not strong enough to be buffed to a level where the disadvantage is justified.

 

Edited by Keybopsef
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Saske92 said:

I disagree, choosing the weapon you want your mod to be unveiled for would just make the power creep bigger. Right now it actually provides weapon diversity.

I disagree again, this will just make people that actually want a riven mod for a bad weapon that they enjoy using (paracyst in my case) a pain the butt to acquire, while the damn whale can just spend  1500+ plat in trade chat in order to get a +crit chance +crit dmg +dmg fot the tonkor and 1-shot the entire galaxy while i am still here farming kuva to get rid of the +zoom +damage against infested +puncture for my zarr in hope someone is willing to trade it for a paracyst riven mod.

This system is just a big slap to the face to normal people that enjoy playing the games sometimes and even farm for a decent time but that don't want to spend copious amounts of plat in the game.

On a second hand, i already did 5 sorties and got 0 other rivenmods so that is not looking good aswell, and yes i am very salty because this is starting to look like diablo 3 during the infamous "auction house" times

Edited by ToastyCosty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i don't see an explanation as to why it 'absolutely should never choose a Sentinel Weapon'.
why not? it's a Rifle too. "but it's not Overpowered enough, i won't want to use that Mod" k, and? got an actual reason? no? okay.

14 minutes ago, Keybopsef said:

It's weapons like these that can't afford these double-edged mods

so Re-roll it.

that was easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I like the riven mods, it adds diversity to builds rather than opening up the game to certain Meta's that we usually see. After all the game is an RPG, a fair amount of RNG is a given for an RPG. I got another riven mod from a sortie myself, and while it was for another weapon that I currently dont have in my inventory. Ofcourse given that levels are based off mastery rank, and the fact that I personally like unconventional builds, this adds more of a balancing factor when trying to equal out (compete with) certain builds like mirage and tonkor. I just hated how the game was pretty much everyone talking about specific frames, weapons, and equipment and how great they were compared to others that were less effective due to how they were made, but Riven Mods adds another factor to those very unconventional styles and opens up the game to much more diversity that you wouldn't really expect to see in a game with meta builds (LoL/DotA/Smite/Paragon/etc.) and more or less like an actual RPG (Diablo/Borderlands 2/PoE)

 

Ofcourse re-rolling is a double edged sword, knowing how much of a help/hinder mechanic RNG is across all RPG's but, personally I have yet to test this mechanic and only have heard of it from fellow clan members that sometimes it takes one roll, sometimes it take two or three, is it scaled RNG? Is it not scaled? Personally I don't know as understanding RNG takes alot of testing and scientific process to get some clear answers.

Edited by Rifleman223
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Keybopsef said:

inb4 everyone equipping them all on the Dread, Tonkor, Soma Prime, Simulor etc etc and the new mods become yet another mandatory space in builds.

I know that's what I'd do :T

 

Exactly. You just need to reroll for a combination of two stats to breach the sonic wall: Raw damage increase and multishot (the rest is icing on the cake). We just need a catchy name for it and I predict in one, two weeks the trade chat is full of it

DE has gone too far. Riven Damage/Multishot mods are wrong, and bad. There should be a new, stronger word for these mods like badwrong or badong. YES, Riven Damage/Multishot mods are badong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say if we can't get a bias in, we should get the kuva reroll cost knocked down or at a flat 1200 per reroll. Also, don't boost the trade tax, let people throw these at people who like certain guns.

Speaking of, if anyone likes a buzlok riven, I have one that hasn't been rerolled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Keybopsef said:

The way I see it, it's not because of the weapons but that the mods are often really bad. And that's indirectly because some weapons themselves have no stats to speak of.

For example, I got a mod for the Gorgon, right? +73% zoom, +102% heat damage and -20% damage vs infested. 

Zoom. On the Gorgon. An LMG that's about as steady the Tenno were when they first got out of the reservoir :clap::clap::clap: 

And I got a mod that increases its zoom capabilities.

Now I know you don't really wanna zoom in with it anyway but you get the point.

It's weapons like these that can't afford these double-edged mods because they're simply not strong enough to be buffed to a level where the disadvantage is justified.

 

At first I thought you were making an argument about mandatory mods. Now I'm not so sure because I have no idea what you're trying to argue.

I'm trying to argue that the riven mods should have a bias towards what the player perceives as useful. Whether that bias is strong or weak is up for debate. Whether players are good judges of usefulness is up for debate, but whatever your playstyle is, it should at least a little lean in that direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Keybopsef said:

inb4 everyone equipping them all on the Dread, Tonkor, Soma Prime, Simulor etc etc and the new mods become yet another mandatory space in builds.

I know that's what I'd do :T

 

i dont use any of those weapons so why would i get a riven mod for them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Haldos said:

This is something, I personally feel, is what Riven mods are meant to diverge from. Again, in my opinion, they're supposed to be mods that encourage players to use weapons that are currently seen as not worth their time. Obviously if the mod grants perks that don't appeal to the player or weapon they're connected to's strengths, that's a negative impact, but the core idea I'm seeing is "Hey, the Pathera isn't a widely used weapon, here's a mod that increases multishot or status or whatever by 250%. Give it a try now!"

Whether these mods are successful at encouraging this is for another debate, but to encourage players to only keep using the already outstanding weapons, as your suggestion would do, takes away from what I see these mods are attempting to accomplish as a whole.

And thats the issue. It does not promote using other weapons. It promotes searching for a tonkor, soma, opticor, synoid riven mod, then rerolling until you get the stats you want. 

People arnt going out and going "well awesome im going to start using my miter to for all the missions". They are going to go "Need a +crit and +dmg soma riven".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Keybopsef said:

inb4 everyone equipping them all on the Dread, Tonkor, Soma Prime, Simulor etc etc and the new mods become yet another mandatory space in builds.

I know that's what I'd do :T

 

They already are technically mandatory since they raised the meta/powercreep level. It's just not everyone has them because of the rarity. Anyone who has them (the good ones) will absolutely have them as a mandatory mod on whatever weapon it's for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leperkhaun said:

And thats the issue. It does not promote using other weapons. It promotes searching for a tonkor, soma, opticor, synoid riven mod, then rerolling until you get the stats you want. 

People arnt going out and going "well awesome im going to start using my miter to for all the missions". They are going to go "Need a +crit and +dmg soma riven".

Wait, does rerolling not also change the weapon it is rolled for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...