Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoiler] Dev Workshop: New Mods Part 1!

[DE]Rebecca

18 hours ago, Virsalus said:

Everything in that video is being said in this thread over and over again.

Right, and he's just another person allowed to voice his opinion of concurrence. 

On a side note:

I'd like to know when these changes are going to roll out. I've honestly not touched selling/buying riven mods much because I know they'll be overhauled, and I have some, but not a total, understanding of what weapons DE considers overused / underused. Of course there are obvious example (tonkor, simulor, etc.) but there are some weapons I believe could easily fall in a gray area. I feel a little bad for people still paying 1-3k for "God" tier meta weapon mods. 

How about this guys...

The "templates" for the riven mod are given a name for example "+%dmg" = serration and "+multishot" = split chamber and you can use your Kuva to Reroll (at an increasing rate) and you get to pick and choose what goes into the mod BUT when you pick a template it automatically shuts out the use of the normal mod. For example I pick "serration"+"split chamber"+"hellfire" this means the riven mod gets all of the above (+%dmg,+%multishot,+%heat) but those mods are automatically locked out from the weapon. This enhances the dmg from the weapon while opening up slots and encouraging diferent builds for the weapon. (I basically thought of D3's cube and not the "item prefixes and sufixes" and came up with the idea and adapted it I guess.

Edited by Hellsworth

If you want to balance weapons, buff/nerf them this is the correct way to do it. 

Releasing new band-aid mods that have higher stats/capacity to offset weapon performance makes mod system looks like a joke unless you just want to force players to forma more DE.

I really like the Riven mods. I was totally not expecting them as an reward and I have to say they are so epic. I love how nice they look equipped, how epic they can and how awesome they can be to bring back old weapons. I do find them awesome. I so would like the system to grow better, it's really cool.

I also want to add that I like how well thought this is. Being cautious to only release Rifles and take the risks. I like that. Of course I am eager to see this expanded to other weapons, but all honestly it's really cool nevertheless. It makes space for creativeness and honestly just a bunch of uniqueness, considering that I can totally feel the Riven mod I have is mine, and none else has it. That's something that didn't existed in the system before which I enjoy a lot. I got one for the Synapse and I went ahead to try it, ooh it's so cool indeed. I really love this mods, that's a fact.

Edited by Kingmana

Riven mods are a mistake.

If you want to give new life to older weapons you don't release band-aid random mods locked behind two rng walls and a timegate of 24 hours that won't even guarantee decent stats or compatible ones for the weapon you want to use it on.
Or maybe just don't release band-aid mods, period.

I I have a better solution to fix old weapons: just the goddamn weapons. It's a consistent change that benefits everybody rather than a tiny fraction of the playerbase. A crit chance increase on an underrwhelming weapon won't fix it, and there is no point trying to polish a non functional system that alleviates the symptom rather than cure the disease.

On 11/14/2016 at 5:04 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Firstly, we should all understand our goal and why this goal existed in the first place:

We want to give players something unique to them that can speak to their wider Arsenal. We want to give new life to the Arsenal in a non-static way.

Riven Mods were added to incentivize end-game players to revisit old weapons and to change up their play style. We’re all familiar with blazing through missions to the Extraction Point, but this system gives players new challenges that require them to test the creative limits of their Arsenal in their quest to Unveil their new Mods. Yes, meta weapons are in the selection pool, but Riven Mods are not needed to make this gear (like the Tonkor or Synoid Simulor) more powerful. What they can do is add an interesting buff to a comparatively underpowered weapon in order to encourage players to think outside of that meta box.

This is why we have prevented players from choosing what weapon the Riven Mod will be for; if we didn’t, we would end up with millions of Soma Mods and none for the Gorgon. The exponential Cycling costs are there to encourage players to try the existing stats before they embark on the journey to the ‘perfect roll’. For those of you who want to find the best Mod possible, that avenue is available to you, but that is not the goal behind this system.

We have started to add quirks to weapons, as shown with the recent Syndicate Melees, and this is supposed to be a continuation of that train of thought: we want players to be able to use their weapons in new ways that typical builds don’t encourage or allow. The current maximum number of 15 Riven Mods is a reflection of this, as limitations encourages creativity and choice.

Can visual elements be added to the effects provided by Riven Mods? If the thought is to provide further customization to players and incentivize the use of underpowered/less utilized weapons I'd like to see the mods be something more than a balancing tool and add some type of aesthetic properties to each weapon. Ideally both the stats and aesthetics would be defined on what people have stated about a specific weapon. 

• 3 weeks later...

You need to get rid of the RNG with the Riven mods, and go more deterministic.  Here's a few ideas that can help improve the system:

1) Let me buy a modifier for the mod for like 1k+ Kuva.  Let me add modifiers until I'm at the max possible (4?)

2) Have a "balance" score calculated by adding points based on the positive modifiers and subtracting points based on the negative modifiers.  Also have a requirement that we must stay below a specific score - and make the score visible.  This way we can't get **TOO** OP, but we can also experiment with the system to get what we feel is the best possible mod for the weapon.

On 15/11/2016 at 7:24 PM, Virsalus said:

Nope.

"Sortie Seasons are no more. We now have a set reward list of rewards that are always repeatable."

Ah, no mate. Turns out that my most dire prediction was right after all. DE's latest plan is to phase out Rifle Rivens in favour of Pistol Rivens for the next Sortie rotation.

So. Balls. 

I was genuinely relieved when you pulled me up on this and pointed out that I had it wrong, I really was.

The Rivens are a good idea, but their implementation is far from perfect. My issues with it :

- Having them drop only from sorties is too limited ; there can be no hunt for those precious artifacts, just a daily lottery.

- Some of the unveiling challenges are very frustrating or borderline impossible without a very specific combination of guns, mods and frame (ex "score 3 headshots in a single aimglide").

- The cycling RNG is so out of check it can deliver absurd results - ex give negative damage to a weapon or adding IPS to purely elemental rifles. I don't see this as normal. A fair drawback of cycling would be the risk of obtaining a variant which is weaker than the original, but not something completely useless.

- The MR locks are at worst unnecessary, at best insane. While weapons currently top at MR13, a certain share of Riven - unknown amount - go beyond that, up to MR16. These are mods.

Edited by Enno69

3 hours ago, Enno69 said:

- The MR locks are at worst unnecessary, at best insane. While weapons currently top at MR13, a certain share of Riven - unknown amount - go beyond that, up to MR16. These are mods.

The MR locks are, in my opinion, there to show that Riven mods are meant as an endgame mechanic, something to do when you allready got everything.

They are not meant to be the norm, missions, groups, etc. aren't supposed to revolve around them.

"Hmmm, you are MR 13, but you don't have a riven for your main? Sorry, we'll take a pro" Should never be a thing someone says during group building.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

3 hours ago, Vethalon said:

"Hmmm, you are MR 13, but you don't have a riven for your main? Sorry, we'll take a pro" Should never be a thing someone says during group building.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

It's going to happen unless Riven mods for things like the Soma, Tonkor, and other such weapons are either nerfed into the ground, or removed from the loot table.

On 11.12.2016 at 4:55 PM, BornWithTeeth said:

Ah, no mate. Turns out that my most dire prediction was right after all. DE's latest plan is to phase out Rifle Rivens in favour of Pistol Rivens for the next Sortie rotation.

So. Balls. 

I was genuinely relieved when you pulled me up on this and pointed out that I had it wrong, I really was.

Is that true? That is absolutely stupid. At least with the past rotation rewards when you had them, you had them in their definitive state. Riven mods however could always be different, worse or better, depending on the RNG you get. It's not a system that lends itself to that rotational model. What the hell are they thinking???

• 1 month later...

for 2 and half weeks now i am getting only 2k endo and small lenses....no rivens no boosters no nothing else...also the last riven i got from sortie got bugged and game lagged and i didnt get it.....i made a ticket for that but no 1 from the staff did respond to me yet....so please de help !!!