Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mixing Defense Missions And Bosses - Infestation Hivemind

Oyxopolis

So, I recently netted about 140 hours on Steam, probably a few less in-game. Since I value my games by time I spent enjoying myself, I spent about €70, buying myself my Rhino and a few weapons, which I'm not using anymore. I also purchased the Catalysts. (to explain what my setup looks like) Let me start by explaining my current mindset.

Me:

Rhino (plat) - Strun (credits) - Lato Vandal (beta) - Hate (drop) + their catalysts(plat). Mods have been upgraded by progressing through the game and are not maxed. Currently floating around 806 shield and 580HP.

I'm currently playing with up to two friends and solo (online modus), they're still running the starter Warframes Mag and Exc. We're currently trashing T3 Void Missions. I mean, we're breaking them just as easily as T2 or T1. Oh sure, the mobs have more HP and they tend to deal a bit more damage, but nothing I can't withstand as Rhino, even without using any abilities! and I haven't even gotten my Vitality, Deflection or Steel Fiber mods past 70% of their stripes.

Because of this, we're looking for more of a challenge. And I'm absolutely not suggesting upping the damage or upping the HP. I'm suggesting better challenges, with more rewards as you progress, but not necessarily better rewards. As in, I don't want to have super epic over 9000 powerlevel items, because that would mess up the game. I just want a system that allows people put in more time, in increasingly harder circumstances, with increasingly greater rewards.

So here'sa way I would personally create a more immersive and extremely challenging endgame, without impacting players that can't easily complete these objectives.

Other than the below, adding some enemies with more erratic movement, such as wallwalking, etc, would also be nice.

-------------------------------------------------------

Infestation hivemind (or whatever you call it)

-------------------------------------------------------

A Tiered bossfight, with a maximum tier of X (X being as many soft spots it has, up to the "heart",), in which you also fight off waves mobs trying to swarm you. The boss could be anything, like an infested mutation that linked itself with ships computer, controlling environment, controlling doors, valves, etc.

Objective:

- The boss consists of various weak parts and they need to be eliminated one by one. While you try to take out the boss, infested swarm you from various sides to try and stop you. "Heal"-ancients can actually heal the boss and the waves don't stop coming until you destroy the current part of the infested boss body. The boss itself also occasionally lashes out.

- Optional, personally prefered: The boss has certain times during which it becomes weakened and open to enemy fire, which is initiated by the players, but can occur during any phase of the waves, including incoming ancients. This will force players to strike a balance between fighting the boss and fighting the waves.

tiers

Once a part of the body has been destroyed, the boss screams out in pain

- Players are asked whether they want to leave and obtain [rewards*] or continue for even more rewards. If you leave, you will have "slowed down the infestation invasion". If you leave after having killed the boss, which should be far harder than any current T3 void mission, you will have dealt "a crippling blow". This could either just be fluff text, or actually impact the game in some way.

If the player decides to stay for the next phase, the boss changes (still screaming) the environment (could be misty, frost (less shields), fire, etc etc)  on the ship, closing doors, opening windows, while starting the new phase of the fight. Players will have to hack terminals during the beginning of the next phase to open doors and close hatches, but can't change the environment back to how it was.

Rewards

- First phase: A random reward just like the current set of rewards from the regular Defenses.

- Second Phase: First phase rewards + random rewards, which can include a Forma blueprint at very low, low, low chance (0.X%), but also rare® components.

- All phases after that, the previous phase rewards, plus an increasing chance on the (greater) rewards of the second phase.

- Killing the boss: A guaranteed Forma blueprint. (Possibly a notice on a scoreboard)

- Any phase: 2000 credits.

If you FAIL, you lose all rewards except for the first Phase. Unless you fail at P1.

So in short, if you would complete this challenge, which would be extremely hard. I mean, hard hard. Not a run for laughs and giggles kind of hard. More impossible hard until it gets beaten kind of hard, you would end up with rewards similar to:

P1:

+ random mod/void key

P2:

= P1 mod/void key

+ Random mod/void key

+ Random components and even a low(hellishly) chance on Forma BP.

P3:

= P1 + P2 mod/void key

= P2 components or Forma BP.

+ Random mod/void key

+ Random components and even a low(less hellishly) chance on Forma BP.

Etc.

what does this accomplish?

- Players do not burn out on the almost laughable easy T3 void instances.

- Players in small guilds, that manage to beat this challenge (quite impossible), might be able to actually advance their clan dojo with only a few players.

- Players have a goal to strive for, a mission that can only be completed by risking all previous rewards. High risk/reward system.

- It makes Trinity useful.

Edited by Oyxopolis

Epically hard boss fights! count me in! :D although this will make trinity THE warframe to use in this map. may I suggest the boss be immune to link? :D

Good idea, or reduce efficiency, or [make up something to prevent anything from being OP]. It is indeed not my plan to make a Quad Trinity group the way to go.

Obviously, it's a rough sketch of the idea. I don't want to pretend to be as brilliant as the developers after all ;)

Good idea, or reduce efficiency, or [make up something to prevent anything from being OP]. It is indeed not my plan to make a Quad Trinity group the way to go.

Obviously, it's a rough sketch of the idea. I don't want to pretend to be as brilliant as the developers after all ;)

Still an awesome idea! Fast and frantic action with a huge hard boss breathing down your neck while you're being swarmed! Brings tears to my eye...

3v15i7.jpg

Still an awesome idea! Fast and frantic action with a huge hard boss breathing down your neck while you're being swarmed! Brings tears to my eye...

[pic]

Haha, thanks for the support ^^ That made me laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's a mission with a huge difficult boss

cb09d3f80411a72b3c6073d3f7d0b207.jpg?v=2

The boss has phases where you need to eliminate something or some body part/weakness to progress to the next phase.

You can choose to finish the mission every phase, just like defense missions, and keep all your loot and the mission reward.

Throughout the mission, you're being constantly swarmed by huge amounts of enemies

tumblr_inline_mn77d757bj1qz4rgp.gif

Every phase, the boss and the mobs increase in difficulty with the last being borderline impossible.

Did I get that right?

Edited by tantananan

• 2 weeks later...