How the hell do you use focus now?

ZizWing

Question

So with the last patch they changed something with the way focus activates to make it easier on consoles or something?

Well I can't use my focus ability anymore.

How the hell do you activate it now? All I can do is go into operator mode and holding the button does nothing. there is no keybinding for it other than "power E" which is what I use for operator mode.

I can sometimes get my focus ability going by spamming 5 / Left Thumbstick (which is what Power E is bound to). Holding does nothing, double tap does nothing, tap and hold does nothing. Just what the **** am I supposed to do? I use a lot of builds that revolve around focus and they're all completely useless now.

FYI focus somehow works in the simulacrum because I can't go into operator mode there? Is it all bound to single press or something and it just ignores focus and goes into operator mode?

Anyone... help?

18 answers to this question

Just now, zY_Spartan_Yz said:

Well that's great and all but single tap is operator and hold does nothing for me. yes I have the tap/hold hold thing on but according to you that shouldn't make a difference.

I didn't say it doesn't make a difference. I said it now affects operator/focus.

Barely tap it. If that doesn't work, restart and then barely tap it again.

1 minute ago, TwelfthAngel said:

All I did was wait for the focus bar to fill then held 5.

yeah that's what it did before the last update but nothing happens when I hold the button.

I know I can still do it by spamming 5 like 9000 times but it takes like a minute before I can get it to work.

It's just unusable like this, both on keyboard and controller.

1 minute ago, Chipputer said:

Barely tap the button.

The hold/tap inversion option now affects Focus and you've had the option ticked so you tap for focus and hold for operator, now. Took me a bit to figure it out, too, and it's rather sensitive.

Well that's great and all but single tap is operator and hold does nothing for me. yes I have the tap/hold hold thing on but according to you that shouldn't make a difference.

7 minutes ago, Chipputer said:

Barely tap the button.

The hold/tap inversion option now affects Focus and you've had the option ticked so you tap for focus and hold for operator, now. Took me a bit to figure it out, too, and it's rather sensitive.

Thats a thing. Guess I know what I will be changing in the options tonight. By any chance, does it work on Vaubaun and Ivara?

Edited by xRufus7x

1 minute ago, xRufus7x said:

Thats a thing. Guess I know what I will be changing in the options tonight. By any chance, does it work on Vaubaun and Ivara?

It's always worked on them but I don't play them enough to know how having the option on for Focus/Transference will affect using them, if at all.

3 minutes ago, Chipputer said:

I didn't say it doesn't make a difference. I said it now affects operator/focus.

Barely tap it. If that doesn't work, restart and then barely tap it again.

Ok this may be the worst "controller friendly" update ever. So yes, it works with an extremely short tap which is annoying as hell to do on a stick... great. Well thanks for the help. I seriously thought DE screwed something up badly. Guess I was simply an idiot.

Just now, zY_Spartan_Yz said:

Ok this may be the worst "controller friendly" update ever. So yes, it works with an extremely short tap which is annoying as hell to do on a stick... great. Well thanks for the help. I seriously thought DE screwed something up badly. Guess I was simply an idiot.

Yeah. It took me a few runs to figure it out. It's stupid amounts of sensitive and I'm not exactly sure why. No hard feelings.

Just now, Shockwave- said:

I'm on PC and I noticed that I can not use focus at all after the new patch, unless i UNCHECKED the box in options that says "swap held/tap powers" or whatever. If I check that off neither tapping nor holding the focus button activates focus.

yeah this is exactly what I have... turns out you need to tap it REALLY quickly if you have that option on.