Next Cinematic Quest With Ordis?

Ascythian

3 hours ago, (XB1)BURRITO DEVIL said:

Pretty sure Steve already confirmed the next big cinematic quest will be about Umbra and the warframes 

(Removed because of dead hope. They'll find a way to make him not fit into the next one and tell us he's now planned for #4.)

Yes.

Edited by LazerSkink

19 hours ago, Ailissa said:

Don't get me wrong, I love this game but it took them a year to get out a quest that took around 2 hours to finish.

I won't be expecting the next one until the middle of next year at the very earliest. 

It's best to take the first half of 2017 out of consideration entirely.

20 hours ago, Ailissa said:

Don't get me wrong, I love this game but it took them a year to get out a quest that took around 2 hours to finish.

I won't be expecting the next one until the middle of next year at the very earliest. 

People who keep saying this just don't understand what really went on. Did they announce it too soon? Yes. But the reason it was in the works for so long was because they had creativity blocks, probably because the whole quest was full of such abstract ideas that it is totally understandable as to why it could be hard to pace and create it properly.

Edited by DrProfSirCarmen

5 hours ago, DrProfSirCarmen said:

People who keep saying this just don't understand what really went on. Did they announce it too soon? Yes. But the reason it was in the works for so long was because they had creativity blocks, probably because the whole quest was full of such abstract ideas that it is totally understandable as to why it could be hard to pace and create it properly.

I'd love to see your source on that.

13 minutes ago, DrProfSirCarmen said:

Basically every devstream for the last few months? They frequently talked about how they kept remaking the script and cutscenes.

That isn't a creative block, that's development.

It happens for everything from music albums to films to games. All things go through changes.

So it still took them a year to get out a 2 hour quest going through normal development. It's still amazingly slow.

17 hours ago, DrProfSirCarmen said:

If I recall correctly the end result does not differ much from the leaked script some time ago. Doubt the delay came from the creativity blocks. I am pretty sure it came from dumping features nobody asked for - like Riven Mods - into the patch.

Considering they had creativity blocks, the end result was really...basic. No real depth to the Queens, who have been teased since pretty much the beginning of Warframe. Teshin's "betrayal" was resolved in less than 20 minutes and a huge part of the quest was focused on exploring new beta features, which will probably be left in the dust with the next cinematic quest (just like the focus system in TSD). Fun fact, they already teased the next system in this quest already (the moral compass). And the pacing was completely @(*()$ nuts. There was no build up at all, because S#&$ was finished faster than the download of TWW.

26 minutes ago, Ailissa said:

It happens for everything from music albums to films to games. All things go through changes.

So it still took them a year to get out a 2 hour quest going through normal development. It's still amazingly slow.

7 minutes ago, Cherokee said:

If I recall correctly the end result does not differ much from the leaked script some time ago. Doubt the delay came from the creativity blocks. I am pretty sure it came from dumping features nobody asked for - like Riven Mods - into the patch.

Considering they had creativity blocks, the end result was really...basic. No real depth to the Queens, who have been teased since pretty much the beginning of Warframe. Teshin's "betrayal" was resolved in less than 20 minutes and a huge part of the quest was focused on exploring new beta features, which will probably be left in the dust with the next cinematic quest (just like the focus system in TSD). Fun fact, they already teased the next system in this quest already (the moral compass). And the pacing was completely @(*()$ nuts. There was no build up at all, because S#&$ was finished faster than the download of TWW.

You both are spot on. I understand others trying to defend DE at every turn, but DE is behind when it comes to industry standards. They are woefully behind, and it takes them longer than other developers to push out content. This game is still going through major changes to its core features. That's technically an alpha-level product (even though DE tries to call it a beta). It's taken them nearly four years, and it's still in such a state. How anyone could think that DE is AAA (yeah, I've seen people and articles say that) is beyond me. Fans can praise DE for their end-result, but their development process is slow. Very slow.

It stems from the fact that DE didn't fully plan out their game and its features at the start. It shows. Most other developers plan out their game, and decide early on what features and systems they want their game to have. And they don't reveal that game until it's mostly feature-complete. By the time they get to their closed beta, they're done adding features to the game. At that point they're testing those features with their beta testers and making tweaks and bugfixes. That's what a beta should look like. Warframe isn't a beta. It's pretty much an early alpha that never left alpha stage. While the game has made a whole lot of improvements, it's still an alpha stage game.

IMO, DE needs to lock down what the core features of the game are. And they need to develop those features until they are fully complete (as in, they aren't adding new features to those existing features). There can be bugs, but they aren't adding new stuff. They need to fully develop and complete those features, and then fully complete the core game (including the desired progression system along with a system that guides players through the game). That includes locking down a core story for the game, rewriting whatever lore they need to until it no longer contradicts itself. Once the game is feature-complete, and in a release-ready state, then they can start adding on new features again. They can start adding new weapons, frames, tilesets, companions, etc. But even when they do that, they need to fully develop those features before moving on to something else.

In short, DE needs to sit down and plan out their game. Their entire game, to be clear. If they do that, then they'll be able to develop and push out content more quickly, because they'll know what they want to do, and they'll be able to properly plan out the specifics of how they're going to achieve it. They won't have to spend half a year figuring out what they want to do for a quest, because they'll have already planned out what they want their game to be, what they want their story to be, and what features they want to include in that game. Everything I've seen from Warframe's development over the past 3.5 years suggests that they haven't done this. Maybe I'm wrong. But if I'm wrong, then I'm not sure what DE's problem is. But, imo, it is a problem.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

11 hours ago, Ailissa said:

Creativity block is an abstract concept that can be a whole range of things, I'd say being unhappy enough with your work that you decide to do it all over again counts.

And people keep saying its been a year, a year ago second dream wasn't even out. Assuming main production was in progress when the first teaser was released (which it most certainly wasn't it wouldn't have had as many delays as it did if it was) its only been 8 months.