Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any guide to someone who never touched a 3d sculpting software?

Goosmo

I really want to get into this. But the only talent i have is making good buildings in minecraft. (which i am very good at, if i say so myself.) But that's probrably nothing compared to 3d modelling.

I have no idea where to start, or what software to use.

ZBrush is pretty standard for modeling, and there's a fairly good tutorial on the Youtubes somewhere.

Though if you want something a little cheaper I think there's something by Altivision you can get.  Don't remember.

Edited by Yzjdriel

zbrush for sculpting > has many different processes to learn in sculpting but you eventually learn your own process/method to creating a piece of work.

autodesk maya/3D max > for normal 3D modelling which are both fairly difficult to learn 

Blender which is sculpting and 3D modelling is a good place to start as its completely free and has add on to convert files into some of the most well known game engines/animation softwares

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2016 at 2:23 AM, LordMidnightX said:

Sculptris alpha is a free version of Zbrush if you would like to try it, it is very simple to use.

Can you use that for creating things intended for a game though? From what I understand (I'm a novice when it comes to 3d modeling) from playing around with sculptris, it doesn't export well. The way it works will leave you with a high polycount and makes hard to animate.

I think it's more for 3D art. 

Edited by SeriouslySinister

8 hours ago, SeriouslySinister said:

Can you use that for creating things intended for a game though? From what I understand (I'm a novice when it comes to 3d modeling) from playing around with sculptris, it doesn't export well. The way it works will leave you with a high polycount and makes hard to animate.

I think it's more for 3D art. 

I kinda assumed he was going for art more then animation or for a game. In my experience as well it creates way to many polys to be reasonable to use in a game. Some of my models have gone up to a half a million. You can reduce them with some loss of course.

I think the main thing is that he wanted something to try out and a bit of easy practice with. 

Step 1: Get the hang of 3D sculpting with Sculptris. 

Step 2: (If creating a helmet, weapon, or syandana) Use Blender to reduce your polygons. 

Step 3: Sculpt a high-poly detailed version in Sculptris. (Change only minor details, since the basic silhouette won't be affected.) 

Step 4: Bake the high-poly onto the low-poly in Blender. (It's a step-by-step process, just find a tutorial.)

Step 5: Use GIMP or Krita (or Photoshop if you have it) to create the maps. 

Step 6: If it's a syandana you may want to rig it. I don't know how, sorry.