One Riven mod per week is poor design

GhostlightX

Assuming you do a Sortie every night, you'll get about 1 per week, right? I also assume that the vast majority of them are garbage, one way or another. I think players therefore need the excitement of unveiling / rerolling more than one of these per week, to keep them coming back for more.

How about adding them to the drop table of endless missions such as Defence? A 1% chance of one to drop after wave 10, increasing by 1% every 5 waves thereafter. This also gives the incentive for players to take endless missions as far as they can, something that is woefully missing from the game. It also means players can feel like they earned them, as the reward will now be more proportional to the effort / risk involved than it currently is.

Agreed. I agree with your proposal but the general jist of what you're saying is absolutely vital to maintain any interest from me.

Currently, I'm totally powerless. After running 3 sorties I got no mod, just 2k endo. I'm not running the sorties for 2k endo, I'm running them for the mod. There's no player skill or achievement here, just pure RNG that is 100% out of my control.

I don't even get the option to repeat the sortie in order to have another go. Instead, I have no choice but to wait 24 hours for another roll. This doesn't make me feel excited and keep me logging in, it's making me log in to speed through the sortie as fast as possible, then log out again. Another day or two of no riven mod and I won't be wasting my time bothering with the sortie any more, and will just stop playing entirely.

The reward system isn't fun, and even if this distribution method is temporary it's building up resentment rather than excitement from me.

Most would end up dissolved. That's the point. It keeps the fun factor high without flooding the game with perfect ones. [The exponential cost of a reroll has to stay for this to work]. I personally think people would enjoy earning more of them and unveiling, than earning less of them and farming kuvo and rerolling them. Rerolling 5 times only to end up with garbage is soul-destroying due to wasted effort. Unveiling 5 that are garbage and just disposing of them because they are easier to get in general is not. Just a theory.

Edited by GhostlightX

Yes, it does seem that way now when we are 5 days after they were just released. But, then again, do you remember focus lenses? The situation right now is exact copy-paste of what it was after the lenses were just  released.

I do not think we are supposed to over-farm them and everyone flooding in them. After a month, there will be tons of them in circulation, I guarantee it.

4 minutes ago, Major_Phantom said:

I got 2 in the last few days, it's too damn early to assume the drop rate plus they're meant to be expendable.

Something you can get once a week* on average that has a high chance to suck is not expendable. You getting 2 after 5 days also makes you a statistical anomaly.

*I thought it was known the drop chance was 1 in 8. Sorry if this is incorrect.

Just now, GhostlightX said:

*I thought it was known the drop chance was 1 in 8. Sorry if this is incorrect.

it is one of the 8 categories of reward after all. Granted we can't say they all have equal chance of dropping but given that I've only got 2k endo three times in a row now, I'd say it's even lower than 1/8. But then of course I could be a statistical anomaly in the other direction.