Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Severe Performance Issues since TWW

asasiner12

Hi everyone,

We just have a few tests we'd like you to try that we believe could help us narrow down the problem.

• First, before anything else, be sure to Verify + Optimize your Download Cache (via. the Warframe launcher). This is important as it lets us know that you have all of the necessary files and that they should be located in the correct places.

0DqGyS6.png

• Next, make sure that you do not have any background processes running that may conflict with Warframe. This includes any monitoring software (EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, Razer Synapse, etc.), recording / streaming software (Windows 10 DVR / GeForce Experience Share, etc), or anything else that might include an in-game overlay.

How to disable the GeForce Experience Share overlay
How to disable the Windows 10 DVR

• Make sure that your Power Options in Windows 10 are set to High performance. To do this you'll want to go to go to Control Panel, Power Options, then click "High Performance". This should ensure that your processor runs at 100% performance at all times. qiembaC.png
  • Additionally, for people who have Nvidia video cards, you will want to make sure that your Power Management Mode is set to Prefer maximum performance. This can be found under Manage 3D Settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel

8H1ouv6.png

• And finally, try running Warframe with as few background processes running as possible. Do you play with Google Chrome open as well? Try playing without it. Close anything that you think could potentially have a negative impact on Warframe. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you still happen to experience poor performance after all of this has been done then please submit a support ticket to us with a copy of your DxDiag as well as your EE.log. It would also be very help if you could type something in chat during this state of poor performance. Typing anything is fine, even just "slowperf". 

Your DxDiag / EE.log can be found here, and you can submit a support ticket here.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

I'm also experiencing some performance issues post the war within. It seems to be less pronounced if I'm not in group but I notice it most when I'm trying to bullet jump because it requires timing.  I basically end up missing my bullet jumps half the time.  Also noticing the same when kuva farming and using those mechanics (I'd be more specific but don't want to spoiler).  It's nearly impossible to participate.  I have tried older nvidea graphics drivers as well as the new one.  Running a GTX 970 FTW edition with 16 gigs ram and an 8 core 4ghz amd processor.  I'll go through and mess with some more settings tonight based on some of your recommendations Dmitri.  I typically don't have any other apps running besides spotify so I'll try tonight without that running.

Did the verification and optimization through the Warframe Launcher. Didn't help.

This time, the Sealab titleset triggered it, the tubes seemed to glow very intensely past some point.

Also the arsenal is pretty...laggy, there is some stuttering when selecting a new frame.

I also have these. I'm pretty sure it's about the CPU threads needing, for some reason, more optimization, as I've noticed I mostly have those when a single Nekros starts using SotD or there are CPU bound particles. I get random FPS drops too to half of my refresh rate values (30 FPS) for reasons that escape my mind.

I also get weird micro stutter the first time I equip the Synthesis Scanner in a mission...

33 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

I also have these. I'm pretty sure it's about the CPU threads needing, for some reason, more optimization, as I've noticed I mostly have those when a single Nekros starts using SotD or there are CPU bound particles. I get random FPS drops too to half of my refresh rate values (30 FPS) for reasons that escape my mind.

I also get weird micro stutter the first time I equip the Synthesis Scanner in a mission...

That micro stutter you're seeing is a problem with the engine itself when it loads a feature for the first time into memory. (Happens for a few other special functions as well such as

Transference into your Operator for the first time in a mission.)

A message to the OP:

It's kinda odd however, my brother and I both have the same processor now (i7-6700k with base clocks) but slightly different graphics cards (I have an MSI GTX 1080, and he has a stock 1070) and he can achieve higher maximum framerates and greater average framerates than I can, and we play with the same graphical settings (max settings, 1080p)

At first I thought it was because the engine doesn't know how to correctly support the newer cards, but after I realized I get more than nominal FPS in Dishonored 2, (also since the GTX 1080 is better in almost every way compared to the 1070) I discovered that Warframe on my PC does not run as well as it probably should. Drivers could be the issue, but it's really hard to tell.

The framerates I normally get usually hover around 60-90, where my brother can hold above 100fps easily, with only occasional drops below 80 or so.
Could be an Evolution engine problem, could be a driver, could be a lot of different things. Just thought I'd offer some of my insights on this topic.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

21 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

That micro stutter you're seeing is a problem with the engine itself when it loads a feature for the first time into memory. (Happens for a few other special functions as well such as

Reveal hidden contents

Transference into your Operator for the first time in a mission.)

A message to the OP:

It's kinda odd however, my brother and I both have the same processor now (i7-6700k with base clocks) but slightly different graphics cards (I have an MSI GTX 1080, and he has a stock 1070) and he can achieve higher maximum framerates and greater average framerates than I can, and we play with the same graphical settings (max settings, 1080p)

At first I thought it was because the engine doesn't know how to correctly support the newer cards, but after I realized I get more than nominal FPS in Dishonored 2, (also since the GTX 1080 is better in almost every way compared to the 1070) I discovered that Warframe on my PC does not run as well as it probably should. Drivers could be the issue, but it's really hard to tell.

The framerates I normally get usually hover around 60-90, where my brother can hold above 100fps easily, with only occasional drops below 80 or so.
Could be an Evolution engine problem, could be a driver, could be a lot of different things. Just thought I'd offer some of my insights on this topic.

I figured as much with the stutter, but the thing is I didn't have it until 19.0 arrived. Maybe they changed something in the code due the new mechanic.

I think the issue is the Evolution Engine, because my issues don't stop there -- I've noticed sometimes I get half speed effects on the emissives/abilities (smokes, energy patterns, special stuff like the effects on Edo and Targis Prime). Thanks to support we disocvered it was due Mulkti-thread rendering being enabled on the Launcher, and I've been taking a better look at what cuases this, which is the pause menu. Code most definitely.

IDK how programming the engine goes, and I don't doubt the job the team has done, but sometimes spaghetti code sneaks in and causes this kind of stuff.

I hope someone from either Support or the Programming team can take a look at this. Also I'll tweet Steve to see if hopefully he can take a look when able at this topic, since he's well versed on this.

Edited by NightmareT12

Have to add to this because since the silver groove I've had FPS issues as well, and it's been getting worse with each update. Sometimes getting as low as 40 fps.

Running at 1440p on a i5 4670k at 4.4ghz, 16gb ram and a GTX 1070 and I run both verify and optimise cache from the launcher after each update.

I'm running a 980 ti max settings and my frame rate which i usually have set to 70, as the limit, goes all the way down to between 20 and 30. When I switch from borderless windowed to fullscreen it goes back to 70 even staying at 70 when I switch back to borderless, until the next time I launch the game when I have to repeat this process.

I'm gonna join the gtx10+ train aswell just so they understand it has to be with optimization for the newer cards.

I'm playing 1920x1080 with an i7 6700, Gigabyte gtx1070 8gb, 8gb DDR4 memory, drivers updated, reinstalled game, verified and optimized to the latest.

I get barely 50 fps in Jordas Verdict(JV) raid and with a full 4 man squad it howers around 60-150 with drops to 50, which makes me sad because of the money put into the RIG in order to have maximum experience possible, solo play I'm running 120+ all the time.

I agree with NightmareT12 saying Evolution Engine might be the problem, I saw 20 people already with gtx1060/1070/1080s having the same issue as myself and somebody has to look into this, starting from one end to another, I also myself don't know how programming works(yet) but I know it's complex and needs time to figure.

Only thing for us to do is try to contact the Devs any way possible and try to convince them it is a serious problem when it comes to performance, let's hope this thread gets read by alteast one of them and that they can get the message to others to look into it.

Hi again everyone,

I have gone ahead and merged the two larger threads that have been discussing performance since The War Within. If you have not yet done so, please see my post from November 21st with suggestions on how to potentially narrow down this problem: 

With that said, we are still trying to track down the cause of these recent performance issues, so any additional information that you can provide is greatly appreciated. For example, which settings are you using with Warframe? 

• Is V-sync enabled? 
  • Do you have anti-aliasing enabled? Temporal? 
  • Is Multi-Threaded Rendering enabled (via. the Warframe launcher)? 
  • DirectX 9 / 10 / 11? 
  • 64-bit Mode? 
  • Is Warframe installed on an HDD or an SSD? Have you tried both?
  • etc

Could there be anything in your driver software that is causing this? For example, if you are an Nvidia user, is there an override in your 3D settings that is conflicting with Warframe? Or even something in the GeForce Experience?

Unfortunately we have been having a very difficult time reproducing this issue (even on GTX 9xx / GTX 10xx series cards), however I can assure you that we are still doing everything we can to track it down. The support tickets that we have received with EE.logs have been a great help as well.

Thanks.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

i7 3770k 4 core 8 threads.

128GB SSD Windows 10 / Got 12TB Storage but warframe runs on the SSD

GTX 970

8GB 1600mhz ram (warframe uses maximum 2GB) in 1080P, i've played warframe mainly in 1440P aswell and tried out 4K but at 4K i can only keep 45-60 fps because of GPU being used fully.

Yet when i look at my cpu usage, its just sitting on CPU 0 out out of 7, so total 8 threads. in total warframe uses about 29-35% Cpu usage of my entire cpu, frames are sitting at 60-100 with a 4 man squad as i always run in. at solo its at 120 fps (capped) at all times.

Even with CPU Unpark, you guys have not been able to make multithreading any usefull for atleast this cpu, idk about others, i read about a 6700k also having the same issue and he had a 1080 aswell. GPU usage is just 30% mostly because cpu limitations to 60-100 fps.

i've tested with launcher, i tried disabling DX10 / 11 and yet it runs exacly same as before.

Game is really single threaded even with the few DX12 implementations so far, is there really not gonna be any patch where people can actually play this game to its expected extent without having to rely on holy old software that cant utilise multithreading better? 

It uses my CPU 0 to 80-89% and Cpu6 to 20-30% making my cpu run ca 30-35% total cpu usage, that is what 2 Threads can deliver or 1 Cpu core w/e 2 threads out of 8 in terms of 100% being maximum. rest of my 6 Threads are not being used at all and is sitting 0-2% cpu usage.

i play battlefield 1 and other games on normal basis and they use all my cpu threads and is giving me a great performance.

i love this game but i hate to suddenly be lagging because of old software not being able to utilise multithreading better. all i want is to not sit here lagging, when there's very many enemies frames can drop to 40 and then everything looks very bad on this 120hz monitor.

on average im having lag issues every day and i still play warframe the most, i've reinstalled it too and tried other ideas.

Edited by SoulEaterReaper

22 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Hi again everyone,

I have gone ahead and merged the two larger threads that have been discussing performance since The War Within. If you have not yet done so, please see my post from November 21st with suggestions on how to potentially narrow down this problem: 

With that said, we are still trying to track down the cause of these recent performance issues, so any additional information that you can provide is greatly appreciated. For example, which settings are you using with Warframe? 

• Is V-sync enabled? 
  • Do you have anti-aliasing enabled? Temporal? 
  • Is Multi-Threaded Rendering enabled (via. the Warframe launcher)? 
  • DirectX 9 / 10 / 11? 
  • 64-bit Mode? 
  • Is Warframe installed on an HDD or an SSD? Have you tried both?
  • etc

Could there be anything in your driver software that is causing this? For example, if you are an Nvidia user, is there an override in your 3D settings that is conflicting with Warframe? Or even something in the GeForce Experience?

Unfortunately we have been having a very difficult time reproducing this issue (even on GTX 9xx / GTX 10xx series cards), however I can assure you that we are still doing everything we can to track it down. The support tickets that we have received with EE.logs have been a great help as well.

Thanks.

Ok Dmitri,

I will include some picture in order to help you and the team.

WnwhT7e.jpg

ogm2Nbv.jpg

kBfYfTU.jpg

SHNmOSY.jpg

"V-sync enabled?" disabled.

"Anti-aliasing enabled?" yes, but changing it off and on again doesn't do anything to the performance.

"Multi-Threaded Rendering enabled(via the Warframe Launcher)?" Yes.

"64-bit Mode?" Yes.

"Is Warframe installed on an HDD or an SSD?" Have you tried both? HDD, my ssd has only capacity of holding my OS, programs and few low storage games, haven't tried it but would figure it wouldn't make any difference.

"Could there be anything in your driver software that is causing this?"

Probably not, since every last option that could have been disabled is disabled.

Power options are set to performance, Game DVR is disabled, I can send an EE.log file too in a support ticket but I'm afraid it doesn't lead anywhere, as I said or maybe forgot, other games with much higher recommended settings to play are run more than I expected, but this one tho, makes it alot harder to have fun on while playing it.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

at update 18, DE has started to really go for graphics, and it kills my and lots of other's pc's.

• Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD Athlon x64 4000+ 
  • Memory:2 GB RAM 
  • Graphics:Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT or ATI Radeon HD 3600 
  • DirectX®:9.0c 
  • Hard Drive:10 GB HD space 
  • Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

that's the minimum required for warframe to be playable.

mine:

OS windows 10

Memory: 16 GB RAM

Processor: intel i7 core, 2.60 ghz

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 960

high internet performance

i dont get why i had to move from high settings with everything turned at 70fps avg. on to lowest with everything turned off at 40fps avg. when in a mission.

its still ok inside the orbiter.

this is a very big problem and it effects gameplay for alot of players.

EDIT: it seems that the RAM usage while in a mission is going to a huge number of 1gb ram

Edited by holysnir

iv'e done some research, and it seems that its not fully DE's fault, its also the nvidia drivers updates. 

the only thing DE needs to do is to update the game to nvidia's drivers.

please, i know i will probably wont make alot of change by saying that, but please just take a while from new stuff and try to fix the old stuff. this is very important and will make 

the players alot happier.

Hi Dimitri, accordingly with this quoted post, or at least accordingly with what im understanding:

Spoiler
On 24/11/2016 at 7:33 PM, maciejs said:

OK, so back to the topic of ping. Seeing as we have a little bit of a technical crowd here I'll delve into some details to better explain why it's higher than expected. TLDR summary is: displayed value is not just the time it takes for the packet to travel from your machine to the host and back, it includes time it takes to process that data on both ends.

In order to optimize screen to screen latency, Warframe handles any new packets at the beginning of the frame, before frame logic, so that we can act upon on them immediately and sends responses at the very end, immediately after generating new data. We've done a few passes on this setup, trying to move these calls around to provide the best experience (still should have my high-speed camera captures somewhere when I record both screens and then count frames). We do not continually poll for new data, though, it only happens once every frame. Assuming a purely theoretical situation of 0 network delay and both client and host running at 60fps:

0) client sends a packet at time 0

1) it reaches the host immediately and we're lucky enough it's just before host starts his frame, he receives it, acts upon it and generates a response

2) host sends a response 16ms later

3) client receives a response, updates his ping measurements

As you can see, client will be led to believe his ping time is 16ms (even though the network transfer time is '0'). It's entirely possible our packet reaches the host when he's in the middle of his frame, so he'll handle it a little bit later, so 16ms is actually a lower bound. Now, it's not super difficult to work around some of these issues, e.g. we could inform the client that it takes us 16ms to process our frame, so he can adjust the results. You could also send the acknowledgment message immediately, without waiting for the end of the frame (this is what we do for QOS pings that happen during matchmaking, we do want this to be as close to 'network transfer time' as possible). In this case I do feel it's better to include processing time, though. This seems like a more truthful estimate of a 'game ping'. This is how long it takes for you to receive the response to your actions (host needs to generate it). To use an extreme example again, if you play a host with excellent network connection (0 'network' ping) and a terrible framerate (10fps), if I 'correct' it, you might be led to believe your "game ping" is 0 and your connection is excellent, while in reality it feels more like playing with a ping of ~100ms (that's how long it takes for you to notice the results of your actions).

Having said all that, while investigating I noticed a bug that'd sometimes result in a (reported) ping higher than in reality (~half a frame difference), this should be fixed in the next build. Another thing worth mentioning the DS 'frame rate' is capped at 60fps by default. You can change it by editing the LotusDedicatedServerConfig section in the DS.cfg file. Corresponding entry is App.DedicatedServerFrameRate (e.g. App.DedicatedServerFrameRate=100 for 100 FPS). I do not recommend going super high here as DS doesn't need to render anything, so it can get really heavy on your CPU (ie. if you set it to 1000 it might actually hit it).

Frames are rendered only at the end of received packets processing, meaning that every time the client receives a new packet there arent frames shown until that packet is decompressed and readed, wouldnt this be the cause of the huge loss of FPS in coop missions with large number of enemy units, even when the same number of enemy units doesnt make us lose as many Frames Per Second in solo mode?

Edited by rockscl

Hello,

sadly I have also to report, that I got and get hit by these FPS drops. I own a 1070 GTX, i7 4790k and 16gb ram. My game is installed on a HDD, which never caused any problems ever before - despite of laoding times which take a little bit longer -, and I only experience these heavy drops, sometimes even below 30 , just in multiplayer mode for 2-3 weeks now. If I do play alone, only survival knows to hit me hard nowadays. Even on the oldest tilesets.

I changed almost every option there is and it sadly didnt help. When I just thought something helped, it was randomly caused again. I mainly play Eris Xini and obviously all relic farming spots for Ember Prime and Frost Prime. Also I stream via Twitch.

Is it possible it's cause by lightning/shader issues? I feel like Prime Frames cause this issues by reflections even more, thanks to the golden/metallic parts. If there are Vortex guns or any other light intensive weapons involed in a mission - or even the second abillity of a rhino prime with the platinum skin package - my FPS just go to hell. Or is this a RAM issue? That Warframe tends to overflow it pretty fast nowaday? This are all just assumption, of someone with no clue at all. It's just so weird that this occurs out of the sudden. I keep playing it is not unplayable... yet... but it gets worse and old pretty fast, to be honest.

Anyway. Best of luck to locate this very issue. I keep searching for a work-around though. If there are any new tips floating around, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Have a nice and pleasent day.

Cheers.

13 hours ago, Morgenstern_ said:

-snip-

Have you tried leaving your settings at max, but without PhysX? Aside from color correction, that's the one thing I have turned off, and for me it fixed the issue.
Running 16gigs of RAM as well, 1060 6GB Gigabyte card, HDD, quadcore i5@3.1GHz.