Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers] Meaning of the quest title : "The War Within"

Lluid

[minor spoilers below]

Hi all,

While waiting for TWW, I thought about the possible meanings of the title.

- A war within the Tenno community ? Not likely, but it would have been interesting.

- A war within the Grineer faction ? Possible, but didn't happen.

So in the end, I'm a bit skeptical about this title. Does the "war" only refer to the Orokin themselves, since the future grineer queen was the one who associated with grineer to survive against other Orokin survivors ? (like in one of cephalon suda's lore texts I believe)

Or did I miss another interpretation ?

Edited by Haldos
Added spoiler tag to thread.

It was a war within your own mind. The Elder Queen was trying to overtake your mind for the entire time you were on the mountain chatting it up with Teshin. You however were able to overcome her and fight back, ridding yourself of her presence. 

Alternatively, it could have been a nod to Teshin's conflict of interests: Train the Tenno that they can overcome the tyranny of the Grineer, or hand them over to the Queens who controlled him through the Kuva and their own Orokin Blood that he, as a Dax Soldier, must obey. 

First maybe spoiler in the title ^.^ 

Like Imaru said its actualy a war within your own mind if you have done the quest you might realise you find youself into a true nightmare.

Personaly my cellphone warned me of low loyalty form companion and my sentinel just started shooting at me while i was noticing the lost of all my ship decorations.

Oh and ordis was actualy trying to flush me out of the ship in the meantime.

Edited by trunks013

9 minutes ago, Imaru said:

It was a war within your own mind. The Elder Queen was trying to overtake your mind for the entire time you were on the mountain chatting it up with Teshin. You however were able to overcome her and fight back, ridding yourself of her presence.

I think it also has to do with the voices that speak through you a couple of times during the quest. ("Hey, kiddo, what took you so long?") And the choices you have to make as well.

But nothing is really ever said about this, so I am guessing that it's going to be expanded on in the next quest.

Edited by Reidmaster

3 hours ago, Imaru said:

Alternatively, it could have been a nod to Teshin's conflict of interests: Train the Tenno that they can overcome the tyranny of the Grineer, or hand them over to the Queens who controlled him through the Kuva and their own Orokin Blood that he, as a Dax Soldier, must obey. 

It could also be referring to Teshin's apparent betrayal as the Operator believes so for the first half of the quest, coming to the obvious revelation a little later on.

2 minutes ago, Imaru said:

Like he said. This was a "psychic" battle between you and Elder Queen. This mind trick she did is known as Continuity which allows her to take over a body and live eternally. However your Tenno overcame this and managed to resist the Continuity. 

The War Within's title is so well executed that there's probably much on it:

Spoiler

-The Grineer Queen and the Conitnuity, the psychic fight you endure.
-Teshin's difficult situation: You are his pupil, but the Queen holds the key to commanding him.
-The troubled past of the Tenno, the mental endurance you must go through.

-The choices you're presented with, the actions that define you, the moral fight between what's perceived as good and evil.

12 minutes ago, Lluid said:

[minor spoilers below]

Hi all,

While waiting for TWW, I thought about the possible meanings of the title.

- A war within the Tenno community ? Not likely, but it would have been interesting.

- A war within the Grineer faction ? Possible, but didn't happen.

So in the end, I'm a bit skeptical about this title. Does the "war" only refer to the Orokin themselves, since the future grineer queen was the one who associated with grineer to survive against other Orokin survivors ? (like in one of cephalon suda's lore texts I believe)

Or did I miss another interpretation ?

I asked the same thing here.

At the climax of The Second Dream (right before customizing our Operator) Lotus says:

Now we fight on two fronts, my child -- The War Without, and The War Within.

'The War Without' is referring to the war you wage with your Warframe, while 'The War Within' is the battle you fight with your Operator. 

The War Within Quest is about your Operator's growth. It shows them breaking free of The Lotus' commands (their mother) and acting and thinking on their own like adults. It's a story of personal maturing as they learn and accept their past, using it to carve their identity.