The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to flesh out game world and make lore vast and deep with a little investments.

Atekron

So, one of the main goal with this update was to expand lore of the game, and it kind of not did it. No, I mean we get some quest and some story (reathen emotional then revealing) but there was more new questions than answers.

I don't know if [DE] was taken inspiration from Skyrim but a lot of people spotted some similarities. So, an idea: put some books in the world.

For me a lot of appiel the The Elder Scrolls game have is wast lore that mostly come from books. If you put books in a drop table or scatter it on level it very quicly makes world more intresting. And I don't think it would be too expansive, just hire a good writer and that's all, no need to bother developers. 

Let's imagine how awesome it would be to get after misson some new book and read it in your ship. Short story, books with multiple parts, historical books... and we don't need literature shedevr, just a piece of story here and some info there.

Not a bad idea, what do you think?

4 minutes ago, bowiespoon said:

Or how about Dark-souls style item descriptions!

with the absurd amount of items we have right now, and new items coming out every so often, having a tiny bit of lore attached to every single weapon and warframe would be a colossal effort on DE's part. they would also run out of things to say after the 250th item. Dark Souls works because there are only a select number of items, and usually thy tell lore about the people that use them. there's not enough lore in warframe to cover that.

19 minutes ago, ragingdeamon said:

with the absurd amount of items we have right now, and new items coming out every so often, having a tiny bit of lore attached to every single weapon and warframe would be a colossal effort on DE's part. they would also run out of things to say after the 250th item. Dark Souls works because there are only a select number of items, and usually thy tell lore about the people that use them. there's not enough lore in warframe to cover that.

Not really true. They can always make a community team and give them parameters to work inside and then ask them to write little lore burbs. 

Something people underestimate is how important item placement can be. An enemy dropping a certain item like a resource can be used to tell a story without any words.
I did some for the resources a while back:

For example, let's take Argon Crystals. Say DE told me that the void was a place where reality became distorted and people could get corrupted, and to imply a sense of mystery.

Argon Crystal

A volatile manifestation of void energy found in the void, beating with a tortured light.

The Void is where the mind of man is unwound, and reason fades to beckon the unknown. It is of no wonder then that its very influence corrupts, and man and machine alike fall twisting in agony to its white fear. Perhaps these crystals, growing on corrupted flesh, are a symbol of the Void's dominion?

Or take something simple, like Alloy Plates:

Alloy Plates

Salvaged fragments of refined metal armor, favoured by the Grineer elite.

The rediscovery and success of alloyed armor saw a huge rise in demand across the empire. The arduous task of refining the metal, however, proved to labor intensive even for the great hordes and quickly nipped hopes of better equipped infantry in the bud.  Despite strict regulations and high prices, Tenno have found scraps shoddily tacked on to standard Grineer armor, providing further evidence that even the most degraded clones possess a basic desire to raise their chances of survival.

57 minutes ago, bowiespoon said:

Or how about Dark-souls style item descriptions!

It 's not exactly what I meant, item description and scans tell more about certaine object, and fragments is rather story of Ordis. I meant something the only purpos of it is to tell story of the world, bit by bit that would add to grandious whole, like "The Elder Scroll", "Forgotten Realms", "Warhammer",  something that make world of warframe even more intresting.

It took them a year to write the bit of text we have in TWW. Well... technically it took them about eight months to write it, have it datamined, then another four months to re-write it and remove all references to umbra, but... details, right? 

I like the idea of fleshing out the world some more, but at this pace? Maybe my future grandchildren will get to enjoy it. And I'm not sure making them sift through tons of community contributions to find the few good ones is really gonna speed things up.

14 minutes ago, Berserkerkitten said:

I like the idea of fleshing out the world some more, but at this pace?

I think you're being unfair. TWW took long, but it's a visually heavy quest. Probably a lot of rewriting was necessary when they decided to split Umbra out of it, but not necessarily because of the leak. And it's not like we didn't get any lore after TSD. Both SoI and TSG had a lot of text, despite being comparatively smaller quests, not to mention what we got with Cephalon Fragments.

3 hours ago, dadaddadada said:

I thought the scanning and codex kinda are supposed to do that. also the cephalon fragments make up for it

I personally feel that since these are in relays (in the back upper level, to boot) it feels much too out of the way to even bother with.

If I could get a Simaris target and read his entries from my ship, I'd take time doing the scans.

They could simply make it so you could access Simaris and Teshin through the Syndicate display on your ship.