Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe could stand to gain a few ideas from Titanfall's movement system

AdunSaveMe

Mainly in the two differences that separate movement in the games (discounting all the obvious differences between the games overall).

In Titanfall, your primary method of getting around is chaining wall running, double jumps and slides. It varies in complexity but that's the general idea. The more you chain, the faster you go. You're slow on foot, which is a drawback, but the primary method of travel and attaining top speed is somewhat varied and enjoyable.

In Warframe, your primary method of getting around is bullet jumping and the midair roll/jump. You're not too slow on the ground (which is a good thing) but wallrunning is noticeably slower than the easier method of travel, chaining moves doesn't make you go any faster and momentum is walled off too easily.

I'm not saying this game should copy Titanfall's movement, but there are a few points to it that would work well to improve the system we already have. I feel like there simply aren't enough reasons or opportunities to use other parkour moves outside of the enemy accuracy effect. Dive kicks and side/back flips are too awkward to use and generally aren't worth trying. Vaulting almost never happens. Wall climbing can't be done diagonally.

-Chaining wallrunning and parkour moves in general should make you go faster. Not coptering kind of fast, but fast. On the other end of this, you shouldn't be severely punished for being on the ground (Titanfall 2 tends to fail a bit in this regard), but rewarded for being off it. Keep the idea of momentum.
-Movement should be varied. Not "spam the biggest distance closer" like it is now. Don't remove the option, but give more options.
-Maps should be designed to reflect this (which Titanfall 2 also doesn't do well). Having every room filled with convenient walls and ledges would be a bit silly but when most of the maps don't even allow you to use the system we have to any extent, it's very stifling.

Not necessarily cloning the idea, but mashing bits of it into the current parkour 2.0 version would bring it up a few tiers.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

17 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Dive kicks and side/back flips are too awkward to use and generally aren't worth trying. Vaulting almost never happens. Wall climbing can't be done diagonally.

All of this is shockingly true, I say shockingly because a ninja game really needs smoother transitions between movements and attacks.  Mid-air sliding feels really strange and if I miss the peak to obtain a double jump after a bullet jump it just glides to the floor with my foot out.

I would love to see some diagonal movement, that'd be awesome.  It is odd though because in parkour 1.0 we'd literally run, using our fingertips to latch onto a wall and slide/slice our away across a wall.  Now we hop and do not use our hands at all really.  The slightest outcropping ledge renders us immobile, be it vertical or horizontal.

I am fairly certain DE is aware of most of this and has mentioned plans to revisit it at some point, just no idea how deep down in the list parkour is.

momentum stacking is still in the game but it's not being utilized sadly
DE should bring back the old movement system and merge it with the new one. bull jumping is a terrible way to get around.
Just have Movement 1.0 + 2.0 and all the minor features that were slowly removed like vaulting walls.

Just now, Wevi said:

momentum stacking is still in the game but it's not being utilized sadly
DE should bring back the old movement system and merge it with the new one. bull jumping is a terrible way to get around.
Just have Movement 1.0 + 2.0 and all the minor features that were slowly removed like vaulting walls.

Minor features like vaulting walls were removed because they were pointless, clunky and slowed you down too much.

7 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Minor features like vaulting walls were removed because they were pointless, clunky and slowed you down too much.

its better than jumping from a high point and just slamming your hands and feet onto the ground.

1 minute ago, Wevi said:

its better than jumping from a high point and just slamming your hands and feet onto the ground.

You mean hard landings, which are avoided by a quick slide, and are superior to the old annoying thing where you'd roll randomly?

Don't see what that has to do with vaulting, either. Vaulting over low walls has no place in this system.

12 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Vaulting over low walls has no place in this system.

but that's just your opinion.  also how is it superior when you can't roll or slide out of it most of the time and you lose all of the speed you had before you landed. There was nothing random about the roll it was always in the direction you were facing.

58 minutes ago, Wevi said:

but that's just your opinion.  also how is it superior when you can't roll or slide out of it most of the time and you lose all of the speed you had before you landed. There was nothing random about the roll it was always in the direction you were facing.

If you can't slide out of it most of the time, then you need to practice your timing. I almost *never* end up doing a hard landing, so I can confirm it's entirely possible to play that way.

1 hour ago, Wevi said:

The roll was annoying when it happened because it was unnecessary and removed more control than hard landings ever will. Losing momentum isn't a problem with rolling or hard landing, it's a problem with the system in general.