Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream #83 Overview

AM-Bunny

f3d0dbf438.png

Lighting Updates
• There was a lot of last-minute work put into the lighting of the new tileset
• The new volumetric lighting has gone a long way to add depth and thickness to the environment
• In between new tilesets, the lighting guys will be reviewing older tilesets to add similar treatment
• The Grineer shipyard should be getting some visual updates soon

1701072da0eb02ea2092b4d6aa00cb14.png3c256f08211ff9b188b4ca354d514582.pngf3087f13f1757a67a2d036a12d356102.png4de493fd9e6daee6eee68b13df626e58.png

Animation Updates
• Click HERE to see some examples of mocap for The War Within cinematics (SPOILERS)
• Click HERE to see new wrinkle maps added to faces for better facial expressions

b93e902bd41ac7ddf0db9334ed8813f7.pngee07368d3fc7565e834e1123ea84c110.png

Console Update
• Planning on having the cutoff date for the next console build next week
• War Within should release on consoles before the end of 2016
• HDR support will NOT be shipped with The War Within
• There should be some framerate fixes and Operator hair fixes

Other Stuff
• Ash Bladestorm revamp and deluxe skin will be coming very soon -- MAYBE next week
• In place of Movember mustaches, there will be a new charity effort in December
• It sounds as though the Bard-frame is being pushed to 2017 release; no date pinned down for her or Infested-frame
• Next batch of Tennogen skins should be released by the end of 2016
• Hopefully there will at least be a plan of attack for Limbo's revamp by the end of 2016
• There will be a change in place for Sortie rewards that will reduce the chance of you getting Endo more than twice in a row
• There will be more options added to Dojos in the future -- experimenting with creating unique obstacle courses

WAR WITHIN SPOILERS

Operator Updates
• Operators will be able to walk in Relays soon
• Operators will be able to interact with pets soon
• Operator gameplay will be heavily involved with the Focus system
• The alignment choices may dictate certain parts of Focus that players will have access to
• Players will have more freedom to alter their alignment in the future if they're unhappy with the current one
• There are experiments being conducted with Transference used to control enemies, but nothing solid enough to be revealed

Riven Updates
• There will be three tiers of Riven Disposition, displayed in the weapon's stats once you have a Riven for it
• When you cycle a Riven's stats, you can choose to keep the before or after cycle results
• The Kuva growth cost of re-rolling will be decreased 
• Re-rolling stats no longer resets the Riven challenge
• These changes may come later today or this weekend
• In a future update (very soon) there will be more ways to obtain Kuva

The War Within Bloopers 

3360171e92f17c23b43f24cef3a2cdba.png8fb9e8a205112d53f9c00ba176d1ec64.png490ea3f384ecf2417c7444f29435bb0e.pngcfefcf18bd769f1599257099d2529af7.png

Edited by AM-Bunny

Still incredibly annoyed and disappointed about them removing Narta emotes from Operators. What the hell, DE? I mean, it's nice that you're planning on adding Focus abilities to Operators, that's cool, but are you also going to break their legs and halve their hitpoints while we're at it?

Edited by BornWithTeeth

1 minute ago, VisionAndVoice said:

It makes sense though. Operators lack frames' condition to pull those off.

Operators cannot perform a muay thai stance (Fathom Narta) but can run on ziplines? If that's the reasoning, then DE need to reduce their move speed, halve their hitpoints (most people cannot get shot and remain standing at all) and remove the ability to run on ziplines.

3 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Still incredibly annoyed and disappointed about them removing Narta emotes from Operators. What the hell, DE? 

I think it just conflicted with the image they wanted Operators to convey.

They're supposed to be a stark contrast to the badass physical Warframes by being a more passive spiritual entity.

It's somewhat annoying to lose access to options, but I understand the intention at least.

1 minute ago, AM-Bunny said:

I think it just conflicted with the image they wanted Operators to convey.

They're supposed to be a stark contrast to the badass physical Warframes by being a more passive spiritual entity.

It's somewhat annoying to lose access to options, but I understand the intention at least.

Like I said, if that's the intent, then Operators should not be able to carry power cells, run on ziplines, and take a bullet without going down.

It feels like an arbitrary demand for us to stop having fun. Operators are supposed to suck, but we're incorporating Focus. Operators are weak, but can run on ziplines if you need to. Operators are fragile, but can get clipped by bullets and remain standing.

1 minute ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Operators cannot perform a muay thai stance (Fathom Narta) but can run on ziplines? If that's the reasoning, then DE need to reduce their move speed, halve their hitpoints (most people cannot get shot and remain standing at all) and remove the ability to run on ziplines.

I think ziplines are more of an oversight than anything. Fathom Narta is more than just "stance", I bet you can't do pull it off too. 

And their movement speed is already lower than that of frames, it's about of an average human.

2 hours ago, VisionAndVoice said:

I think ziplines are more of an oversight than anything. Fathom Narta is more than just "stance", I bet you can't do pull it off too. 

And their movement speed is already lower than that of frames, it's about of an average human.

Apparently they just fixed it so that Operators can run on ziplines and have an animation for it.

I really, truly feel like this is a statement from DE, and the statement is "Stop having fun, Operators suck, the end."

EDIT: I'm quite serious. Let's be honest here:

- Riven Mods are going to remain hideously broken until the spring. Riven Disposition is going to take several entire patch cycles before it even starts to kick in.

- It is going to be at least February before we see anything more about Operators in Dojos and Relays, and then another few months after that before that ability actually becomes available to players.

- Similarly, it is going to be more than six months before we even see Focus and Operators integrated in another Devstream. It will then be four months again until the first iteration of it comes out for players. I would not be surprised if it genuinely takes a year from now before we have a patch deployed for PC which combines Focus and Operator mode.

- But today, today DE can remove Narta Emotes, to remind us that Operators are weak, fragile, and pathetic. But they won't cut their HP back either, or remove the ability to zipline. No. We'll allow Operators to be athletic in ways that enable players to do the bare minimum of movement required, but they're not allowed to do kata. 

Their priorities are clear.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

6 minutes ago, VisionAndVoice said:

It makes sense though. Operators lack frames' condition to pull those off.

We can't talk about what makes sense in a game where you get dogs from eggs, cats by photographing them, and where Earth is the only place in the entire system with day/night cicle. But one day DE will notice that. Sad that day is far away.

Spoiler
25 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

The alignment choices may dictate certain parts of Focus that players will have access to

Hmm. Will be curious how it plays out. Especially with how the scale tips and falls so far.

Here's hoping we don't end up facing a 'Neutral gets nothing interesting' ordeal though. I mean, whilst I have been able to answer as I intend so far, it'll be disappointing if my 'Answer honestly, not mechanically' policy ends up scuppering me into having to favour in a direction I don't like to get anything for it.

Oh well. No point stressing about it till we see stuff in front of us.

Past that, I liked the Mo-cap stuff, very interesting to see how it comes together. That said, Mo-cap and Foley work are quite fun to observe.