MR 23 test, what's good, and what's horrible...

lightdragon64

so i have been doing some tests with the MR 23 test and have quite a few criticisms about it that i would like to point out.

now while at no point do i think this test should be easy the way it is currently set up is just asking for people to get mad and cheese it in order to finish it.

first though let me point out some good things.
-It's challenging
-it's an interesting test that we have yet to see in normal game

now let me talk about what is absolutely horrible about this test.
-the enemies that spawn everywhere, while not a bad thing, when they are heavy damage outputting, constantly causing distraction, a huge threat, and most of all constantly knocking you down and dragging you away from the mobile capture points.
-the mobile capture points: while the points moving around isn't a big deal i do have a problem with two things about them.
1. how fast they move: i tried with both loki prime and nezha and found there were plenty of times where i was going as fast as i possibly could only to have the point zoom way far ahead of me faster than i can possibly go, this wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the next point.

2. the capturing of these points: i think honestly that the rate in which you capture these points is fine, however my main issue is with how fast the progress you make at capturing drains if you step outside (or more likely lose the point either by it zooming away or you getting knocked down/dragged away) is horrendous... if it takes me for instance 15 seconds to get the point to 85% and i get knocked outside of the point for 2 seconds it drains right back down to less than 20% if not completely drains to 0% only causing frustration because of how easily you can lose the point.

as a result of the above the only way i have found that i can make a build for this test without completely getting screwed over is to do the following:
i.Get a rhino prime

ii.set up said warframe with max armor and power efficiency mods

iii.throw on a sprint boost for good measure.

iv.run around trying to keep up with the insane speed of the points, while completely negating the damage, knockdowns, and drags from the enemies with iron skin.

the test in itself is an okay test, but the above points mentioned are pretty annoying and personally i can see a few different ways to make the test a bit easier but not stupidly easy.

possible solutions include:
1. Get rid of the enemies: they feel a bit out of place to me. especially when there are multiple points that i need to capture, and they are clearly there only to cause frustration.

2: slow the points down a bit: i don't mean slow them down to where i can keep up with them at a snails pace, but preferably i would like it if the points had a consistent speed and didn't suddenly zoom across the map leaving me in the dust with no way to catch up.

3. turn the capture drain down or off: at the very least the capture drain should be reduced, because if it takes approximately 20-30 seconds to capture the point while avoiding enemies, keeping up with the speed of the point, and avoiding being knocked down and/or dragged away from the point it shouldn't completely lose all of its progress in a matter of 1-3 seconds. so either slow the drain down, or stop it from draining entirely...

Note: i think only one of these solutions are needed, not all three.

these are just my personal criticisms... as of right now the test is passable, but it is incredibly frustrating...

• Like 1

I've been doing practice runs, and honestly?

Fast InvisiLoki.

b12dd961ee07407ea547e9a2d53cd81b.png

The Fleeting helps drastically with the cost of Invisibility, and Coaction Drift helps quickly replenish what energy you spent.

Armored Agility and Rush helped me a great deal with keeping up with the mobile points. Also following it, watching where it stops, and trying to guess what direction it's going to go in is helpful as well. 

Being invisible = no enemies to bother you.

I get your frustration with the capture drain, the speed of the points, and the enemies, all that, but keep in mind, this is the MR 23 test. It's NOT supposed to be a walk in the park. It's supposed to be hard. Most of us at this point have been here for a few years; something like this can be easily completed if we just vary up how we play for just one test.

Also, this is how I finished the practice:

e0e04a26340e4b2c837c1b099f2f976b.png

Trust me fam, just be willing to change how you mod for one little test. No need to sit here and complain about it when other people have successfully done it. You've come this far; don't decide that now is the time to demand changes for a test that is supposed to be difficult.

On ‎18‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 11:07 PM, Telluric said:

I've been doing practice runs, and honestly?

Fast InvisiLoki.

b12dd961ee07407ea547e9a2d53cd81b.png

The Fleeting helps drastically with the cost of Invisibility, and Coaction Drift helps quickly replenish what energy you spent.

Armored Agility and Rush helped me a great deal with keeping up with the mobile points. Also following it, watching where it stops, and trying to guess what direction it's going to go in is helpful as well. 

Being invisible = no enemies to bother you.

I get your frustration with the capture drain, the speed of the points, and the enemies, all that, but keep in mind, this is the MR 23 test. It's NOT supposed to be a walk in the park. It's supposed to be hard. Most of us at this point have been here for a few years; something like this can be easily completed if we just vary up how we play for just one test.

Also, this is how I finished the practice:

e0e04a26340e4b2c837c1b099f2f976b.png

Trust me fam, just be willing to change how you mod for one little test. No need to sit here and complain about it when other people have successfully done it. You've come this far; don't decide that now is the time to demand changes for a test that is supposed to be difficult.

+1

Thanks for the hints. I better gonna try a test run or two with your build before going for the real thing tonight.

@Telluric you just confirmed his point...

On 11/18/2016 at 10:46 PM, lightdragon64 said:

the way it is currently set up is just asking for people to get mad and cheese it in order to finish it.

If this test requires you to run with a Loki with a specific build, then it's not well designed. Of course you could also cheese other tests like the ones with Lasers using Limbo, or all the "kill xx targets" with your max range ember/equinox, but if a test is almost impossible without cheesing it, it should be modified to be achievable using something else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chewarette said:

If this test requires you to run with a Loki with a specific build, then it's not well designed. Of course you could also cheese other tests like the ones with Lasers using Limbo, or all the "kill xx targets" with your max range ember/equinox, but if a test is almost impossible without cheesing it, it should be modified to be achievable using something else.

Even as a Limbo main, I didn't use him for the laser test.

The point of the MR tests is to complete them; you're not supposed to take an Atlas with Rumblers to a stealth test. If you find a way to make things easier, then do it!! You're not supposed to sit here and figure out how to make things harder on yourself so that you can find a way to stroke your proverbial ego.

There ARE hard mastery tests!! The MR 22 test was rather difficult for me, even with all of my experience and every Warframe at my disposal. I ended up just picking Valkyr and running around hoarding energy, and just barely made it.

My friend struggled with the parkour test, where you shoot the orbs. He had some good Warframes, and ended up passing it with Zephyr, but he lacked a lot of mods that would have helped him. People like myself have an endless of mods at our disposal, and we're supposed to use them to make our playing easier!!

If you want to call it cheesing, fine!! Call it whatever makes you feel better about it. I call it "I took a Warframe that has an ability that would help me avoid a lot of obstacles in the test that might otherwise prevent me from completing it in the amount of time allotted to me."

I could take Limbo and just stay in the Rift. I could take Rhino and just keep using Iron Skin to protect myself and use Rhino Charge to keep up with the points. I could use Banshee and keep spamming Silence to keep the enemies from hurting me. I could take Ember and burn my enemies while I capture control points. I could take Excal and keep blinding the enemies while using Slash Dash to help keep up with the control points. I could take Titania and keep the enemies suspended in midair while I capture the control points. I could take Vauban and use Bastille or Vortex to deal with the enemies while I capture the points. I could take Equinox and put all of the enemies to sleep so that they won't bother me while I complete the test.

Again, the point of the test is to complete it. Complete that test with whatever Warframe you feel works best for you, with whatever build works best for you. What kind of sense is there in thinking that there's only ONE Warframe for every test? If that's what you honest to god believe, then you've got less of a mind than the people that you think are just focused on "cheesing" everything. 

On 11/25/2016 at 7:15 AM, Chewarette said:

Well, it's a test. Tests rarely encompass everything and anything. Even the most generalized tests anywhere will require specificity, which may have multiple solutions, which will not be whatever you want them to be.

Apparently building for a mission is cheesing now. I guess inaros with hanspring is also cheesing? nyx? rhino? cheesing, nezha? atlas, max range vauban cheesing. If you build for it, its cheesing, k... Good sh*t...

It seems the boundary between knowing what to do and how to do it vs. exploit sh*tty mechanics got blurry with all the cheese eating in the forums. I suppose I cheesed my way through college by studying what the tests asked about and not whatever random crap I thought would work. Time to throw some cheese at the dudes in the tire shop for using an impact wrench instead of pliers for the lug nuts. Solid concept.

Edited by nms.

I didn't really feel that it was too easy, or too hard, just ... sort of odd for a MR23 test.

It felt more like a gear-check, and frame knowledge check then something that was actually challenging.

1: Avoid scorpions.

2: Move fast enough to keep up with the little mobile things.

3: Don't even consider using a power that locks you in place. (Or if you do, do it by aim gliding.)

4: Manage your energy in some way.

In a way, it does feel good to see them all wrapped together but... ...Isn't this something that people should have learned a long long longx10 time before MR 23? It just sort of feels off somehow.

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2016 at 8:15 AM, Chewarette said:

Um, why is taking the best frame for the job "cheese" The whole idea of the tests is to make sure you have warframes and mods and such. If you have the right frame with the right mods to make short work of the test then that's what you are SUPPOSED to do. That's called passing the test, instead of banging your head against the wall trying to do this with a lumbering frost.

Why wouldn't you use the fastest frame they make to keep up with the fast moving targets on this test?

On 11/25/2016 at 9:15 PM, Chewarette said:

Are you saying that a test that requires movement speed but can't be done with an Arcane Thrak Rhino with Hobbled Dragon Key equipped is a badly designed test?

Because MR23 test is doable but requires you to use a speedy frame even if you're not invis or invincible. Use a melee weapon that can be used without slowing down like Nikana, nunchucks or polearms. You still have to spec your frame for speed though. I don't know if you consider using those weapons and maximum Rush+Armored Agility considered "cheese" or not.

1 hour ago, Chewarette said:

Seems like you all have difficulties to understand the difference between "impossible to do without X" and "easier to do with X".

But no problem.

It's hardly impossible. But even if you needed a specific frame & loadout as you claim, then I still would not see the problem. It's the MR23 test, we know you have mastered all frames, expecting you to make the right choice seems a perfectly acceptable test parameter to me. 

Edited by Snib

On 18.11.2016 at 11:02 PM, NinjaKitsune56 said:

Or you could speed up an Atlas... he can't be dragged or knocked down so long as he's got his feet on the floor.

Did you read this part?

On 18.11.2016 at 10:46 PM, lightdragon64 said:

is just asking for people to get mad and cheese it in order to finish it.

Going with frames that null most of "difficulty" is cheesing through