Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr Prime design lore discussion

Cyborg-Rox

Valkyr's Gersemi skin is supposed to be what a normal Valkyr Warframe looked like before being disassembled and implanted with Corpus tech, but then how come Valkyr Prime looks nothing like the Gersemi skin, and instead sprouts reskinned implants and "orokin" bonds that is obviously taken from her Corpus-modified version?

9KpFHBo.png

You can see the bonds and "implants" a bit better here:

Spoiler

ErOes7E.jpg

I could maybe believe that the Gersemi Valkyr was a more smoothed out and polished version of its flashy Prime, and that Alad V purposely modified a Gersemi Valkyr to look more like the original Prime, but it's a big stretch. After all, Alad V was just making Zanuka prototypes, with probably little regard for what Warframe(s) he was messing with. Furthermore, why would Alad V install implants that weren't necessary since the Gersemi Valkyr already had all of Corpus Valkyr's abilities? What do those implants actually do then? Or is the Gersemi Valkyr something completely different, and only works likewise because it's a cosmetic modification only? If that's the case, then what about the Prime... ohmygod my brain hurts.

Valkyr's lore is such a mess if you ask me. She was supposed to be this raging tormented experiment, but taking that theme into its original Prime version makes no sense. And yeah, I get it, that's just the way it has to be, I don't expect DE to make an alternate Valkyr with different abilities, I'm just saying it makes no sense. Honestly, the only two explanations that make any sense to me is that Gersemi Valkyr is now retconned, or Valkyr Prime was made after Valkyr, based on the Corpus-modified Valkyr. You know why? Because that's exactly what it is, outside the lore.

Just some lore insight I thought I'd share. What do you think, Tenno?

I think an argument could be made that Valkyr prime is based on the Gersemi Valkyr and not the corpus modified Valkyr we have today. I see what youre saying about the implants but that may just be a cosmetic that then corpus used as an easy place to put their implants, I dunno. I doubt DE will explain.

Edited by Skaleek

Just now, Skaleek said:

I think an argument could be made that valkyr prime is based on the Gersemi valkyr on not the corpus modified valkyr we have today.

Well, lore-wise it's the Gersemi Valkyr that should be based on the Prime, but those implants on the arms, the 'bonds', and the various areas where the Prime clearly looks exactly like the Corpus Valkyr really disrupts that.

I don't know why people are getting so uppity about this. Prime is just a system to reward us with big flashy upgrades decked out in fabulous gold. Whether or not it is true to the lore is inconsequential if they have a design that would just work better, which is what they did this time. They probably just didn't want to alienate the original design of valkyr which is the post-experiment version.

Even then it takes a bit of the gersemi skins aspects despite clearly being more based on the normal version.

Edited by DrProfSirCarmen

2 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

Well, lore-wise it's the Gersemi Valkyr that should be based on the Prime, but those implants on the arms, the 'bonds', and the various areas where the Prime clearly looks exactly like the Corpus Valkyr really disrupts that.

5 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

I see what youre saying about the implants but that may just be a cosmetic that then corpus used as an easy place to put their implants, I dunno.

Added this to my post after not sure if you read it.

Prolly:
Primed Valk.
Replicated to Deluxe Valk.
Aladified to become vanilla Valk.

Aside from the choker, I don't see anything that's weird aside from her arm bulk but those could just be a whip thing. Overall though, Valk's continuity is a mess, thematically her "rage" would technically mean that Alad's experiments didn't give her that, she just naturally had it.

Just now, Cyborg-Rox said:

:facepalm:

Nowhere in any piece of information is Palatine Rhino stated to be the original Rhino. The original Rhino is the original Rhino.

It was a temple guardian kind of thing at one point, dunno what happened to that.

It doesn't matter. Your argument makes no sense. Original Valkyr doesn't make sense because it doesn't look like Valkyr Prime? It's silly.

Gersemi is her mass-production non-prime original skin, based off of the prime. Her "default" skin is the damaged variant that Alad V left her with once he stripped the armor down for what he needed. There are plenty of similarities. Its just like Nova, Vauban, Nekros, who have enough differences from their prime to look quite a bit different, but they retain a significant amount of similarities. There is no retcon going on here.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

Just now, NeithanDiniem said:

Gersemi is her mass-production non-prime original skin, based off of the prime. There are plenty of similarities. Its just like Nova, Vauban, Nekros, who have enough differences from their prime to look quite a bit different, but they retain a significant amount of similarities. There is no retcon going on here.

Then what's with the bonds, and the arm chunks, and the body areas where she clearly looks exactly the same as the disassembled Valkyr as opposed to the completely remodeled Gersemi Valkyr?

Maybe the Corpus, during their experiments, tried to re-create the Prime version and this would explain the "implants" and the bonds, since those are missing for the Gersemi. Consider that Gersemi is just a replica of the Prime, so it's not identical: just as Nekros doesn't have the wing-thing as his Prime, she doesn't have the implants and bonds of her.

Thematically, she is a cat-inspired berserk warframe. The Corpus left her "scarred, angry and frighteningly adept at killing", but they didn't change her abilities, only her character

Edited by Drufo

5 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

Then what's with the bonds, and the arm chunks, and the body areas where she clearly looks exactly the same as the disassembled Valkyr as opposed to the completely remodeled Gersemi Valkyr?

It's pretty easy:

-DE has a pretty cool concept for a Warframe with a backstory, Mynki designs it.
-2015: Deluxe Skins are a thing and Mynki designs Gersemi Valkyr, who doesn't really share proportions nor anything in the end. You can't even attach the wires (where would you anyways!?)

-2016: Time for Valkyr Prime. She needs to share assets with base Valkyr... Oh why, WHY did we have to do weird things back in 2013.

Seriously though, I see shared aspects amongst the two (base and Gersemi) in Valkyr Prime. It's pretty neat.

Edited by NightmareT12

The less said about WF lore, the better at times.

The whole idea of primes being the original is wonky to begin with. The designs clearly show a progression from regular to prime, yet were supposed to believe that the prime came first.

Just accept it. I feel like the more lore we get, the more WF turns into a game about the teenage edgy operators. Lore talk is scaring me now.

Just now, Hypernaut1 said:

The less said about WF lore, the better at times.

The whole idea of primes being the original is wonky to begin with. The designs clearly show a progression from regular to prime, yet were supposed to believe that the prime came first.

Just accept it. I feel like the more lore we get, the more WF turns into a game about the teenage edgy operators. Lore talk is scaring me now.

Well, you could just see that as the Primes being more honored, decorated versions, while the mass-produced Warframes are toned down to be more practical, removing some of the overly-flashy bits. Same applies to stats. Maybe slightly reducing some of the Prime's power meant making them much cheaper to produce?

Well, lore wise Valk should better not have any prime at all or it should have really different looks and abilities from original Valk.

Do we really need all frames Primed? And should they be Primed in chronological order? I wouldn't mind if DE took their time and made 2 really different Valks. But duh, whatever...

15 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

Well, you could just see that as the Primes being more honored, decorated versions, while the mass-produced Warframes are toned down to be more practical, removing some of the overly-flashy bits. Same applies to stats. Maybe slightly reducing some of the Prime's power meant making them much cheaper to produce?

I get that, but most would assume that the Orokin chose a frame to prime after the fact and took pride in making it look ornate. 

The organic look to the frames don't lend itself much to being based on primes. (Even with the mass produced excuse) But the ornate looks of primes look like decorated frames.

You can argue it's not that way, but fact remains that primes designs are indeed based off of the original organic design and not the other way around.

Valkyr. *sigh*

The Prime looks good. It looks very much like Ash and Loki. If there had been only damaged Valkyr,  all would be well I think.

But since Valkyr had a blue armor, DE made Gersemi that means beautiful.

"Before the experiment,  there was Gersemi."

Very unshaking and uncompromising lore.

This is why many, including me, expected the Prime to share Gersemis estethic; tail, demonic wings and a more sleek and armored style.

This Prime says that DE just went with the first Valkyr, sort of brushing off Gersemi as a easteregg/bonus skin like Rhino Paladin or Nova or Banshee.

Because Valkyr was at the core of the Corpus/Grineer war, she matters more than any other. Lotus interest allso elevated it even higher.

So to have Gersemi be just a fun cosmetic feels small in comparison to what it could have been.