Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Video Card Crash? (Screen Freeze)

Psylosopher

After 2 hours of troubleshooting I finally completed a 5 minute survival mission on Jupiter without crashing. I was playing Ember with Ignis with the combustion beam Mod. I'm just posting my specs / troubleshooting steps in case it helps.

Specs

GPU: GTX 1070 SSC

Driver Version: 375.95 (the hotfix update)

CPU:  i5-4690K CPU 3.5 GHZ

Ram: 16GB
Monitor: 2560x1440

Issue: Screen freezing in under 5 minutes playing solo on Jupiter Infested Survival. Usually when I killed an Infested Charger with Ignis. (sound continued without issue so I believe it is the GPU that crashes)

Steps and results.

• Closed Chrome (playing youtube videos for music) : No more FPS loss after a microfreeze (Would go from 110-120 - > 60 after first, then 40-45 after second freeze. Eventually crashing)1
  • Closed iTunes (since I was playing music from that instead) : Microfreezes would still occur, but much more rarely. End result was same as above.1
  • Closed all backround programs : No more microfreezes, just straight up freezes
  • Optimized and Verified download Cache : No change
  • Disabled Direct X 10 : No change
  • Reinstalled GPU Driver : No change
  • Played in Full Screen instead of Windowed Borderless : No change
  • Disabled Nvidia PhysX Effects : Was able to complete mission with no FPS loss or Crashes!

I may have just gotten lucky with disabling Nvidia PhysX effects, but I am done playing / troubleshooting for today. I will update if my issue continues.

Restarting Warframe was all that was required to bump my FPS back up to 120, but it was annoying to do after every fps drop.1

Same Specs, same problem.

I'll get 60 fps and then after 1-2 missions the game will either start stuttering, drop to 31 fps, or freeze entirely. The game will still run, but the screen will stop.

This is so predictable and so frequent that it's hard to play the game at all for any given period of time. 

I've had the same kind of crashing with my GTX970 and the latest 3 Nvidia drivers, screen goes green or some other colour, sound keeps going and I can hear the game running. But I cannot return to the game and only way is to force close the game. Windows reporting says that nvlddmkm has stopped responding.

Rolled back all the way to 361.91 drivers which I do know work, had to roll to them earlier for Witcher 3 crashing. Will report back if the crashing continues with the old drivers too, if not, you know the old drivers work.

CPU: i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz

GPU: GTX 970

RAM: 8 Gb

Update: disabling Nvidia PhysX effects seems to have fixed the issue, however I only played public matches today. I only played against infested once, and my framerate did make a drop to about half its usual for the mission, but recovered after I was back in my ship.

On 11/20/2016 at 11:02 AM, Psylosopher said:

Update: disabling Nvidia PhysX effects seems to have fixed the issue, however I only played public matches today. I only played against infested once, and my framerate did make a drop to about half its usual for the mission, but recovered after I was back in my ship.

If you can indeed confirm that Nvidia PhysX Effects is the culprit, then could you please enable it again and send us a copy of your EE.log? That way we can hopefully get to the bottom of what is causing it to create these microfreezes / freezes for you.

Basically we would like to see if you can reproduce this problem, and if you can then type something random in chat like "hi DE" or "perf is bad now", then close the game. Once the game is closed then please submit a support ticket to us with a copy of your EE.log. 

Your EE.log can be found here, and you can submit a support ticket here.

Thanks!

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

On 11/21/2016 at 5:21 PM, [DE]Dmitri said:

If you can indeed confirm that Nvidia PhysX Effects is the culprit, then could you please enable it again and send us a copy of your EE.log? That way we can hopefully get to the bottom of what is causing it to create these microfreezes / freezes for you.

Basically we would like to see if you can reproduce this problem, and if you can then type something random in chat like "hi DE" or "perf is bad now", then close the game. Once the game is closed then please submit a support ticket to us with a copy of your EE.log. 

Your EE.log can be found here, and you can submit a support ticket here.

Thanks!

On it.

Well the old driver didn't work it seems, but it took this long to crash. The level was on Infested and this was the first time I ran that so that might be a good place to start looking. Got a hold of the EE.log file too so sending that also :)

Edit: was also using Ignis, might be the culprit with Infested

Edited by CeePee

I might be having the same problem but I'm not sure. what happens is exactly what you describe, a screen freeze, but for me after about 10 or so seconds I get audio back and I can hear myself move and attack. I regain all functionality except my video. the screen is still frozen. this seems to only happen in public matches (at least I've been playing them a bunch and haven't tried testing in solo) and so I can type in chat and ask them to finish asap so I get my mission rewards.

I've crashed in grineer missions, Void missions, not sure about invested. I can't remember but I feel like it's been happening since right around or right before TWW.

I might have fixed the problem by simply deleting Warframe from my HDD, reinstalled to my SSD. Then ran the verify and optimize functions from the Warframe launcher and did a clean reinstall of the newest Nvidia drivers (376.09), hasn't crashed since and I used to have atleast 1 crash per day.

18 hours ago, CeePee said:

I might have fixed the problem by simply deleting Warframe from my HDD, reinstalled to my SSD. Then ran the verify and optimize functions from the Warframe launcher and did a clean reinstall of the newest Nvidia drivers (376.09), hasn't crashed since and I used to have atleast 1 crash per day.

While I didn't do all that; I did update to the latest drivers, and that seems to have fixed the issue. I have only done one mission so far, but I it was with the loadout / mission that was consistently causing crashes / stutters before. This time, no problems.

Dang, still an issue. No idea what triggered it this time. I was doing a completely different mission, and a public match. Looks like I'm back to square one.

Edited by Psylosopher
Spoke too soon

On 12/2/2016 at 2:47 PM, Psylosopher said:

While I didn't do all that; I did update to the latest drivers, and that seems to have fixed the issue. I have only done one mission so far, but I it was with the loadout / mission that was consistently causing crashes / stutters before. This time, no problems.

Dang, still an issue. No idea what triggered it this time. I was doing a completely different mission, and a public match. Looks like I'm back to square one.

Hey! Try disabling Nvidia share in the settings: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4228/~/how-to-disable-the-geforce-experience-share-in-game-overlay. This fixed my issue of crashing and i was able to play with PhysX on with no problems! Tell me if it worked! :)