The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Taking Another Look at Opticor

RacerDelux

@[DE]Steve

I would humbly request you to revisit an old weapon, the Opticor. I love this weapon, the way it works, its looks, the giant laser. There are just a few areas that it really struggles. For one, with its current stats and readiness factor, it is simply under powered. One of two things needs to happen:

1) A MASSIVE damage buff. Its trigger is SO slow, there is no reason for it not to do more damage.

2) Buff weapon readiness. This is things like reload time, charge time etc. This is not a gun you take out to blow away a few enemies that got too close, it is closer to a sniper. Increase the mag capacity, greatly increase fire rate etc. It is not ok that I have to use TWO fire rate mods to just make this thing usable.

I think that many people who have used the Opticor before would agree with what I just said, and if you don't feel free to comment below. It is just such a cool and unique weapon compared to anything else offered in warframe, it is a pity that it is just not up to par. Now maybe the changes I requested could be applied to a weapon "variant" instead of the base, and I would be ok with that. (In fact, I would LOVE that).

The riven mods have given me a chance to play with my Opticor again, and I love that, but it just is not quite enough to make this weapon replace something like a tigris or tonkor.

12 minutes ago, RacerDelux said:

@[DE]Steve

I would humbly request you to revisit an old weapon, the Opticor. I love this weapon, the way it works, its looks, the giant laser. There are just a few areas that it really struggles. For one, with its current stats and readiness factor, it is simply under powered. One of two things needs to happen:

1) A MASSIVE damage buff. Its trigger is SO slow, there is no reason for it not to do more damage.

2) Buff weapon readiness. This is things like reload time, charge time etc. This is not a gun you take out to blow away a few enemies that got too close, it is closer to a sniper. Increase the mag capacity, greatly increase fire rate etc. It is not ok that I have to use TWO fire rate mods to just make this thing usable.

I think that many people who have used the Opticor before would agree with what I just said, and if you don't feel free to comment below. It is just such a cool and unique weapon compared to anything else offered in warframe, it is a pity that it is just not up to par. Now maybe the changes I requested could be applied to a weapon "variant" instead of the base, and I would be ok with that. (In fact, I would LOVE that).

The riven mods have given me a chance to play with my Opticor again, and I love that, but it just is not quite enough to make this weapon replace something like a tigris or tonkor.

Yeah I would stay away from this topic for now.

We have the Index coming eventually, with more weapon specific mods, and I would like to point out that one of the Index enemies uses the Opticor, so there's a decent chance the Opticor may receive a buff in the form of a new mod. 

Just hold out for a while. Honestly the Opticor isn't unusable as it is now anyways. 

Honestly, it does fantastic damage as is, but if you buff the opticore than the ogris will also need one, as the ogris has a slow charge but less damage than the opticore. My only real issue with the opticore is how it fires. Unlike EVERY other charge weapon that let's you "hold" the shot and then release...the opticore fires the MOMENT it gets to max power. I don't see many weapons getting any sort of damage buffs any time soon, with Damage 3.0 in the works.

But I could see DE tweaking the opticore's fireing mechanic, and giving it waaaay more punch through(like the lanka!), and for the time being they will rely upon riven mods giving the opticore it's much needed "other buffs" to damage and ect.

>second look

DON'T YOU HURT MY BABY

10 minutes ago, RacerDelux said:

It already one-shots things most of the time in sorties, yet it needs a "MASSIVE" damage buff? Are you shooting grineer with magnetic damage or what?

10 minutes ago, RacerDelux said:

Wait, you want a massive damage buff, AND better reload time, charge time, and mag capacity? Should it turn enemies in endo too? You're right, it is closer to a sniper. And in that role, it's near perfect. It may be a bit slower than most snipers, but it does massive amounts of damage with an AoE, can fire partially-charged shots if needed, and doesn't lose accuracy when hip-firing. Honestly, the only thing wrong with the opticor is the strange behaviour on the AoE. Increasing the mag capacity, charge time, and fire rate will only ever happen if the damage is nerfed too, and at that point it'll just be another lacklustre rifle that never gets used.

so much mileage would be garnered from the beam having a say 1m*1m width so that Opticor can hit droves of Enemies at once.

it doesn't need more Damage since it's almost identical Damage with Bows, despite not having Crits.
if you want shorter Charge Time, you'll exchange that for lower Damage to compensate for the extra Damage Mods you'd use instead.

11 minutes ago, owendawgx said:

Yeah I would stay away from this topic for now.

We have the Index coming eventually, with more weapon specific mods, and I would like to point out that one of the Index enemies uses the Opticor, so there's a decent chance the Opticor may receive a buff in the form of a new mod. 

Just hold out for a while. Honestly the Opticor isn't unusable as it is now anyways. 

Opticor will one hit us anyway =P so index enemies killing us with even more damage, not an issue.

11 minutes ago, Hixlysss said:

Honestly, it does fantastic damage as is, but if you buff the opticore than the ogris will also need one, as the ogris has a slow charge but less damage than the opticore. My only real issue with the opticore is how it fires. Unlike EVERY other charge weapon that let's you "hold" the shot and then release...the opticore fires the MOMENT it gets to max power. I don't see many weapons getting any sort of damage buffs any time soon, with Damage 3.0 in the works.

But I could see DE tweaking the opticore's fireing mechanic, and giving it waaaay more punch through(like the lanka!), and for the time being they will rely upon riven mods giving the opticore it's much needed "other buffs" to damage and ect.

I would be fine with the fire rate adjustment. It just feels like something is out of balance with the weapon when it comes to the charge time. Warframe is a fast paced game, and when it takes you like 3 seconds to fire a single shot (unmodded), it just does not work. I think charge time base should be 1.5 seconds 1.8 MAX. I also agree, it needs passive punch through. It actually makes no sense that it currently does not.

As far as your ogris comment, maybe they need to revisit all charge weapons and adjust their charge times to be within reason?

7 minutes ago, SaurusRex said:

Wait, you want a massive damage buff, AND better reload time, charge time, and mag capacity? Should it turn enemies in endo too? You're right, it is closer to a sniper. And in that role, it's near perfect. It may be a bit slower than most snipers, but it does massive amounts of damage with an AoE, can fire partially-charged shots if needed, and doesn't lose accuracy when hip-firing. Honestly, the only thing wrong with the opticor is the strange behaviour on the AoE. Increasing the mag capacity, charge time, and fire rate will only ever happen if the damage is nerfed too, and at that point it'll just be another lacklustre rifle that never gets used.

With all do respect, I said "One of Two" not both. So either damage OR charge rate/mag capacity. And I want to be able to use this in multi hour survivals. Currently I can't. I have to take a tigris for that. And I do not think that the Opticor would be "OP" with a faster trigger. I know many people who just can't use it because of how it works. Weapon readiness is a huge balancing factor, don't underestimate how much effect it has on a weapon.

so much mileage would be garnered from the beam having a say 1m*1m width so that Opticor can hit droves of Enemies at once.

it doesn't need more Damage since it's almost identical Damage with Bows, despite not having Crits.
if you want shorter Charge Time, you'll exchange that for lower Damage to compensate for the extra Damage Mods you'd use instead.

I could agree with damage being ok. The beam width is certainly an interesting idea. Also as far as the last sentence there. maybe the issue is that it needs both fire rate AND punch through mods? Like I said above, it makes little since that this weapon does not punch through already...

Now maybe part of the issue could be resolved by damage 3.0 and the no longer need to have a serration, giving me an extra mod slot, but that is yet to be seen. Still, its base charge time is a bit slow, even then.

Edited by RacerDelux

My thoughts:

Damage boost, yes, but I don't know about massive.  I can get some pretty decent rate of fire out of the old girl, and it doesn't even sacrifice that much damage.  It would be nice if it automatically had punchthough on enemies until it hits terrain.

14 minutes ago, RacerDelux said:

I could agree with damage being ok. The beam width is certainly an interesting idea. Also as far as the last sentence there. maybe the issue is that it needs both fire rate AND punch through mods? Like I said above, it makes little since that this weapon does not punch through already...

see, beam width is effectively Punch-Through, but isn't Punch-Through.

if it's handled right, the entire beam acts like a fluid or so, which would mean you could have an Enemy shaped hole form in the beam, but the rest that doesn't impact anything continue traveling.
that gives much of the effect of Punch-Through, but being something unique.

and let's be honest, only hitting a tiny point in space is silly for Opticor, it should be a large beam.

I originally built the opticor because I thought "OMG THAT GUN IS SO ME!" A huge slow firing laser cannon that destroys everything I aim at. But it doesn't. What I find is that it doesn't damage everything in the line you shoot at.. which lets face it.. it really should because it's the biggest slowest gun we have... but it also doesn't even feel like it does anything when it impacts. It says it has an aoe on the impact zone, but this feels like it's not even as big as a castana, let alone the simulor. What is this sorcery? 

And my other main issue is it's recoil. I want something that huge to blast me backwards when i fire it. Not just act like i just fired off a bb gun. Seriously. Throw me back 2 meters every shot and I'd use it all the time

4 minutes ago, LuckyCharm said:

And my other main issue is it's recoil. I want something that huge to blast me backwards when i fire it. Not just act like i just fired off a bb gun. Seriously. Throw me back 2 meters every shot and I'd use it all the time

Errr, first off, it fires an energy beam, so it actually does not have any backwards force (there is no "explosion" propelling a projectile, which is the cause of knockback). Other than that, it would also make it pretty unusable...

The AOE is quite small.

Edited by RacerDelux

I think giving it a slight bump in fire rate and some innate punch-through would be nice. It wouldn't have to be a lot, just enough that I don't have to equip Shred to get it to behave the way should. If the buff was especially large, I'd even call removing its immunity to Heavy Caliber's accuracy penalty a fair trade, but I don't think we need to go that far.

I would like to see some kind of buff for the Opticor, as A weapon of this kind should do quite A lot more damage. It's slow, does doesn't hit very many enemies, and is outshined in damage by much faster weapons, such as Hek, Tigris, or Tonkor. Perhaps a Vandal, or Prisma variant with increased charge rate and crit chance, would be a good change.

On the whole the Opticor seems fairly solid as is to me in its current state.  The fire rate is not a problem for me just running with Shred and Vile Acceleration and the damage is already beyond massive when properly modded.  I don't see the reload time or the magazine size as problems to be fixed but rather I see them as simply the downsides for having a weapon that can basically one shot anything (except freaking nullifier bubbles).  You can't have a weapon be absolutely perfect, it needs some sort of downside to compensate for a huge upside that it has.

I think my only complaint is that it's one of the few weapons that can use the Firestorm mod but it seems to be extremely inconsistent on when that AOE actually triggers.  Possibly its hit detection also seems off to me.

I've had enemies die 3 feet away from where the beam passed them by on the way to where I was actually aiming...and I've also had the beam go right through enemies without it hitting them (and it's happened in enough multiple settings and times that it's not lag).

I've hit the ground near a group of enemies and killed all of them...I've also done the same thing with the same type/level of enemies and killed none of them.

So yeah, on the whole I love it as is.  It's my giant freaking death beam cannon.  But I just wish it worked in a more consistent manner.

26 minutes ago, Ralsk said:

On the whole the Opticor seems fairly solid as is to me in its current state.  The fire rate is not a problem for me just running with Shred and Vile Acceleration and the damage is already beyond massive when properly modded.  I don't see the reload time or the magazine size as problems to be fixed but rather I see them as simply the downsides for having a weapon that can basically one shot anything (except freaking nullifier bubbles).  You can't have a weapon be absolutely perfect, it needs some sort of downside to compensate for a huge upside that it has.

It fails to one shot enemies pretty quickly. In normal game play it is fine. I would like to see the Opticor almost like a rifle version of the tigris (of which it falls very short).

6 minutes ago, RacerDelux said:

It fails to one shot enemies pretty quickly. In normal game play it is fine.

Slightly confused by this response.  When exactly are you referring to it failing to one shot enemies if not in normal gameplay?  Raids? Sorties?  If that's the case I can't really comment on the viability of Opticor in those places.  I've never done a raid yet and most of the time sorties I take specific weapons (assuming I'm not locked into something such as a Bow only mission).

1 minute ago, Ralsk said:

Slightly confused by this response.  When exactly are you referring to it failing to one shot enemies if not in normal gameplay?  Raids? Sorties?  If that's the case I can't really comment on the viability of Opticor in those places.  I've never done a raid yet and most of the time sorties I take specific weapons (assuming I'm not locked into something such as a Bow only mission).

Exactly, it can barely kill stuff in sorties and raids, and then when you move to endless missions, take the orakin defense, by lv 50 (20 waves)  it has trouble on some units.

11 hours ago, LuckyCharm said:

I originally built the opticor because I thought "OMG THAT GUN IS SO ME!" A huge slow firing laser cannon that destroys everything I aim at. But it doesn't. What I find is that it doesn't damage everything in the line you shoot at.. which lets face it.. it really should because it's the biggest slowest gun we have... but it also doesn't even feel like it does anything when it impacts. It says it has an aoe on the impact zone, but this feels like it's not even as big as a castana, let alone the simulor. What is this sorcery? 

It needs an an anime energy dome at it's impact point. It should be the Kamehameha of WF weapons.

29 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

It needs an an anime energy dome at it's impact point. It should be the Kamehameha of WF weapons.

Yeah Kamehameha effect would be nice. I havent used this weapon for a long time because I could not hold fire. By the time I released my shots, enemies were already somewhere else, I guess this is just my skills. 

7 hours ago, (PS4)lhbuch said:

Yeah Kamehameha effect would be nice. I havent used this weapon for a long time because I could not hold fire. By the time I released my shots, enemies were already somewhere else, I guess this is just my skills. 

It is not fully your skills. The way I use this weapon is I charge a shot directly after killing a unit, and search for a new target before it fires. Now, you can always press "r" to cancel the shot if you don't see anything. I don't mind this, but I would not be mad if they allowed the shot to be held.

On a side note, I tried out my build last night on lv 125 heavy gunners. I was doing about 20.5k puncture damage, 14k cold and 1k impact with 500 slash. Using mesa, I did almost no damage. In fact, it would take around 150-200 shots to kill this heavy gunner from my experiments.

Now the same lv 125 heavy gunners died with two shots from my tigirs prime.

Edit: I failed to mention that they were corrupted heavy gunners! opps!

Edited by RacerDelux

2 hours ago, RacerDelux said:

It is not fully your skills. The way I use this weapon is I charge a shot directly after killing a unit, and search for a new target before it fires. Now, you can always press "r" to cancel the shot if you don't see anything. I don't mind this, but I would not be mad if they allowed the shot to be held.

On a side note, I tried out my build last night on lv 125 heavy gunners. I was doing about 20.5k puncture damage, 14k cold and 1k impact with 500 slash. Using mesa, I did almost no damage. In fact, it would take around 150-200 shots to kill this heavy gunner from my experiments.

Now the same lv 125 heavy gunners died with two shots from my tigirs prime.

I guess this is because of the ridiculous armor increase after a certain point. So even a weapon capable of dealing really high damage like the Opticor will suffer while weapons like the Tigris Prime can bypass the armor.