Jump to content

Is Madurai actually really good?


Snowbluff
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I was examining the schools the other day, and I noticed that Madurai gives slash damage as an option.

Now, it occurs to me that this could let ANY weapon proc slash. Doesn't sound really good? I mean, I am not sure how it holds up to fast energy regen or cloaking on a melee crit, but this sounds really good on weapons like the staticor or ogris/launcher (chunky salsa rule is in full effect here).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

no

it multiples the base

 

It would be godly if it added 30%!

Its still pretty decent.

 

It adds 30% impact, 30% puncture and 30% slash.  It makes skills with base IPS(impact,punch,slash) deal more damage  

eg Mesa, Excal radial javalin etc

its actually not bad, adds an extra 2000 dmg to a well build buffed Excal RJ build and ofc buffs any weapon with a slight damage boost.

 

I think the reason is is less used is the Unique powers in other focus trees. We already have lots of damage on weapons, 30% more base IPS is not noticed, Constant energy regen, perma invis, extra crit, Armor stripping, Instant revives, AOE energy orb in team play etc.. are just more desirable.

 

 

Edited by Tatersail
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Tatersail said:

no

it multiples the base

 

It would be godly if it added 30%!

Its still pretty decent.

 

It adds 30% impact, 30% puncture and 30% slash.  It makes skills with base IPS(impact,punch,slash) deal more damage  

eg Mesa, Excal radial javalin etc

its actually not bad, adds an extra 2000 dmg to a well build buffed Excal RJ build and ofc buffs any weapon with a slight damage boost.

 

I think the reason is is less used is the Unique powers in other focus trees. We already have lots of damage on weapons, 30% more base IPS is not noticed, Constant energy regen, perma invis, extra crit, Armor stripping, Instant revives, AOE energy orb in team play etc.. are just more desirable.

 

 

This completely ignores my point, but I'll bite. It adds 30% the same way an elemental mod at rank 2 adds 30%, according to the wiki. That's like having an extra elemental mod if you go all three (which has more value on weapons with less room for mods of that kind), but extra slash procs are really good if you just take the one. Of course if you can provide video evidence to the contrary, I'll take it.

i wonder if it affects syndicate procs too. That would triple the damage if it proccdd

Edited by Snowbluff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is exciting. I thought it only multiplied base damage, like the physical damage mods. But if it's multiplicative with total base damage and adds physical damage to weapons that don't have it...this means Zarr can get slash procs. I should have known, because I've heard of people getting slash procs with Redeemer charged shots. I need to try this, if I can find a good host for a Madurai lens...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DreamsmithJane said:

This is exciting. I thought it only multiplied base damage, like the physical damage mods. But if it's multiplicative with total base damage and adds physical damage to weapons that don't have it...this means Zarr can get slash procs. I should have known, because I've heard of people getting slash procs with Redeemer charged shots. I need to try this, if I can find a good host for a Madurai lens...

I'd try it too, but I don't know if I want to level another school. ^.^'
Maybe when I'm done getting to 16.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Madurai is very specialist in my opinion.

Only really uses I can see are when your on Mesa or RJ spam Excal with a trinity feed.

Can confirm that I see no effect on Equinox slash proc or slash damage counter.

30% damage from a dread slash proc is nice and all but the majority of weapons damage is from elemental mods. many top end weapons have no IPS (Lanka, Simulor, Tonkor, Staticor, Atomos)

The majority of the time a well modded weapon has no real need for extra damage

 

 

 

Unairu is a little underrated IMO while the bonus armor it will not stand up to Naramons invisibility the bonus armor has a marked effect on certain frames (Chroma, Inaros, Valkyr, Rhino, Atlas, Low level Frost missions)

from  Ehnawneemuss

Let's assume I have a maxed Steel Fiber, and a maxed Armored Agility, and I'm using Valkyr.

A.) { Modified Armor Value } = { Base Armor Value * ( 1 + [mod bonus] + 0.50 ) }

{ Modified Armor Value } = { 600 * ( 1 + [ 1.1 + 0.45 ] + 0.50 ) }

{ Modified Armor Value } = { 600 * ( 1 + 2.05 ) }

{ Modified Armor Value } = { 600 * 3.05 }

{ Modified Armor Value } = 1830

B.) { Modified Armor Value } = { Base Armor Value * ( 1 + [mod bonus] ) * ( 1 + 0.50 ) }

{ Modified Armor Value } = { 600 * ( 1 + [ 1.1 + 0.45 ] ) * 1.50 }

{ Modified Armor Value } = { 600 * ( 1 + [ 1.55 ] ) * 1.50 }

{ Modified Armor Value } = { 900 * ( 2.55 ) }

{ Modified Armor Value } = 2295

 

The resulting final EHP modifiers are a 710% EHP modifier at 1830 armor, and an 865%EHP modifier at 2295 armor. 

 

 

and what people miss is the armor stripping on melee that stacks alongside Corrosive, this can tip enemies into red hp without a full CP squad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Tatersail said:

 

30% damage from a dread slash proc is nice and all but the majority of weapons damage is from elemental mods. many top end weapons have no IPS (Lanka, Simulor, Tonkor, Staticor, Atomos)

The majority of the time a well modded weapon has no real need for extra damage

Madurai adds IPS damage to pure elemental weapons as well.  The ability to add Slash procs or greatly increase existing IPS Slash proc bias is significant.

Madurai can help to supplement damage lost to bandaid mods on a weapon like ammo mutation, recoil reduction, reload speed, etc.  This can push some good weapons over the top, into great weapons. 

Edited by RealPandemonium
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy crap I never knew that. I'm in the same boat and thought it ONLY multiplied if the weapon had those damage types already severly limiting it.

This just breathed completely new life into Madurai for me. I think i'll finish rank 3 of all the damage types now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Coaa said:

Holy crap I never knew that. I'm in the same boat and thought it ONLY multiplied if the weapon had those damage types already severly limiting it.

This just breathed completely new life into Madurai for me. I think i'll finish rank 3 of all the damage types now.

It's funny that a lot of people are in your situation, especially since this was noted when Focus first launched; it just got overshadowed by Zenurik and Naramon cheese.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah that's basically what I did, you have to unlock Puncture to get to Slash and/or Impact.

- generally one is considered really good and one not so much =p

So I went on and unlocked Slash, capped out Mastery to lower the cooldown then maxed out both Slash and Puncture and pretty much called it good there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2016 at 6:09 PM, Coaa said:

Holy crap I never knew that. I'm in the same boat and thought it ONLY multiplied if the weapon had those damage types already severly limiting it.

This just breathed completely new life into Madurai for me. I think i'll finish rank 3 of all the damage types now.

However it's only on the base damage. It's +30% for IPS, so the total damage added on the weapon is only something like a +90% elemental mod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

However it's only on the base damage. It's +30% for IPS, so the total damage added on the weapon is only something like a +90% elemental mod.

Well you're constructing a multi dimensional object when you mod for damage. For example, the addition will be great if modded for crit, because that "elemental" dimension of your shape is smaller. A dex sybaris with maxed Heavy Cal, Serration, Vital Sense, Point Strike, and Split Chamber with 2 90% mods will have 29k burst DPS, but a third elemental will bump it up to 38k burst DPS. It's for this reason that Multishot and Primed Banes are valuable. Sure, it's "only" 90 or 55%, but that multiplier is so low initially it translates up to literally 90% or 55% of your whole damage.

So that dex sybaris with those first seven mods and a utility or taste mods or a damage mod that isn't elemental in the 8th slots will have a 30% damage improvement, which isn't at all shabby.

Also, slash procs are nice. In short it's better on status and critical weapons than it is on elemental ones.

Finally, riven bonuses to damage (Raw damage and faction damage) and multishot will further improve it.

Edited by Snowbluff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Snowbluff said:

Well you're constructing a multi dimensional object when you mod for damage. For example, the addition will be great if modded for crit, because that "elemental" dimension of your shape is smaller. A dex sybaris with maxed Heavy Cal, Serration, Vital Sense, Point Strike, and Split Chamber with 2 90% mods will have 29k burst DPS, but a third elemental will bump it up to 38k burst DPS. It's for this reason that Multishot and Primed Banes are valuable. Sure, it's "only" 90 or 55%, but that multiplier is so low initially it translates up to literally 90% or 55% of your whole damage.

Also, slash procs are nice. In short it's better on status and critical weapons than it is on elemental ones.

Finally, riven bonuses to damage (Raw damage and faction damage) and multishot will further improve it.

29k vs 38k is actually ~25% more damage. That is not all that bad, but considering the scaling of the armored enemies, it just means you will be able to beat enemies 5-10 levels higher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

29k vs 38k is actually ~25% more damage. That is not all that bad, but considering the scaling of the armored enemies, it just means you will be able to beat enemies 5-10 levels higher.

This is why you throw dead chickens Pox at them to strip their armor >;3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...