Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

'Top tier' weapons?

DeiwosN

Question

So I've never done any missions over like level 40, and in my investigation into how to do end-game stuff and sorties I understand that having CC and support stuff is helpful, but a thing I keep running into is people saying you need 'top tier weapons'. The problem is I have no idea how to, like, find out what those are aside from asking as I am now. How is 'top tier' determined? What makes a weapon way better than others for endgame stuff?

8 answers to this question

A Top Tier weapon is mostly opinion in this game, This is largely due to scaling and what levels players tend to play at.

I attempt to add math and logic to determine which weapons I consider Tier 1, Tier 2 and the rest is just the rest.

I would define a Top Tier weapon by it's versatility through level ranges, it's versatility against faction types (specifically Armor) and of course it's top-end damage. One thing that can weight heavily on a weapons performance can be the amount of Slash procs it's capable. Typically a weapon that has low or no Slash damage needs to do about twice the front-end damage in order to compete. Vaykor Hek or Lex Prime are examples of this situation.

Slash procs add additional damage through Bleeds which not only improve the weapon's damage output but Bleed damage ignores armor and shields which has a significant weight on the weapon's versatility as well.

Recently with the addition of Riven mods, the list may possibly change but before Riven mods the list was....

Primaries Tier 1: Soma Prime, Tonkor, Prisma Grakata, Vaykor Hek.Tigris Prime, Simulor, Dread, Lanka

Secondaries Tier 1: Akstiletto Prime, Lex Prime, Vaykor Marelok, Staticor, Sonicor, Pox,

Melee Tier 1: Dual Ichor, Galantine Prime, Atterax, Broken War, Nikana Prime, Prisma Dual Cleavers, Tipedo, Dark Split Swords

EDIT: I should mention the melee list is a bit broad due to stance preference.

Zarr, the new cannon might be Tier 1 material but I need to test it more.

Edited by Xzorn

What is "top tier"? Well, based on how people use the term, I'd say "top tier" refers to any weapon that, properly modded, is especially powerful.  These weapons tend to have stats that benefit more than others from Warframe's percentage based mod system.

First example: Dread. Dread has a 50% critical chance. If you put mods into it that boost its critical chance beyond 100% it will begin dealing red crits. Since critical hits are guaranteed, mods that increase the damage of critical hits will guarantee a large increase in damage.

Many of the "top tier" weapons have high base damage, which means adding damage mods will quickly increase it to the point of instantly killing many enemies.

Second example: Tigris Prime. Tigris Prime has a base damage of 1,560 and a tight spread for a shotgun. Primed Point Blank increases this damage by 165%, and other damage mods further push the numbers into an extreme range.

Some of the weapons that are considered "top tier" do high damage to an area - and importantly do not deal significant self damage.

Third example: Tonkor. The Tonkor fires grenades with a 35% base critical chance. These grenades never do more than 50 damage to the user but can be modded to deal guaranteed crits with area of effect and high damage to enemies.

Naturally, what is and is not considered to be "top tier" depends partially on a player's perceptions. However, if you want a "list" of them, here is a few that are generally considered to be "top tier" among primary weapons: Boltor Prime, Cernos Prime, Dread, Quanta Vandal, Synoid Simulor, Tonkor, Tigris Prime  (Generally speaking, other versions of the same weapon may also be considered "top tier" but if there is a choice between two one is often better.)

Edited by Syvarin
Spelling fix and clarification

Oh, I forgot to mention Critical Hits.

To add further to that subject. Critical hits against the weak points of an enemy (head as example) do x4 damage instead of x2 damage. So a Crit based weapon with equal damage to a non-crit weapon will always do more damage when hitting a weak point.

I believe Tigris and Pox are the only Tier1 weapons that make it because of this. They simply do enough damage outright to make up for the lack of increased critical damage.

Edited by Xzorn

Best weapons in the game for endgame:

Syndicate Weaponry:::: Sancti Tigris, Secura Penta, Vaykor Hek, Vaykor Marelok, Synoid Simulor, Rakta Cernos,

Normal Weapons::: Kulstar, Brakk, Sybaris, Dread, Tonkor, Rubico (for sniper sorties).

Prime Weapons::: Boltor, Soma, Vasto, Akstiletto,

Melee::: Grab a heavy weapon and go to town = Scindo Prime, War, Jat Kittag, Galatine Prime, Fragor Prime, Heliocor (not the syndicate one, cause it sucks).

For Stealth Missions::: These daggers with Covert Letality = Rakta Dark Dagger (only worth it for the low chance of the enemy finding you) & Karyst.

Wish you luck

Ah cool, thanks for the answers. Especially the explanation as to why they are so good instead of just saying that they are. I wasn't aware that Slash damage was so powerful, for example. And Staticor is really that good huh? I was looking at it thinking it might be neat but it also seemed odd too, I wasn't sure how it might play. So far my high-ish-level mission experience has just been using Soma/Ballistica/Orthos Prime, but the bulk of my play experience was back when the game was fairly newly released to the public so I'm both catching up and unsure of what was good then that is still good now. Like Galantine, apparently. Crazy nonsense spinsword. (And I know about Damage 2.0 but it's still newish to me.)

11 minutes ago, DeiwosN said:

Ah cool, thanks for the answers. Especially the explanation as to why they are so good instead of just saying that they are. I wasn't aware that Slash damage was so powerful, for example. And Staticor is really that good huh? I was looking at it thinking it might be neat but it also seemed odd too, I wasn't sure how it might play. So far my high-ish-level mission experience has just been using Soma/Ballistica/Orthos Prime, but the bulk of my play experience was back when the game was fairly newly released to the public so I'm both catching up and unsure of what was good then that is still good now. Like Galantine, apparently. Crazy nonsense spinsword. (And I know about Damage 2.0 but it's still newish to me.)

It's a strange weapon for sure. It's slightly AoE, which is always a plus. It's elemental based which means it's versatile and procs status well and it has about 29k DPS flat or 40k while using CPx4. It was recently nerfed a bit due to the AoE no longer being able to score head-crits but it's still decent in terms of DPS.

My personal favorite for Secondaries is the Akstiletto Prime.

Galantine Prime just got some stupid high stats for some reason. I would say it's the #1 melee in the game but in the end Melee is a lot of preference.

End game stuff:

Trials (aka raids): you basically don't even use weapons you shouldn t kill enemies at all in most case...But they require very specific frame builds...you might want a sniper or a tigris prime if you have them but they are really situational.....ost poeple bring low level weapon to exp (even if exp sucks)

----------------------------------------------------

Sorties: for this you need 1 weapon per type due to mission requirements (many are "only XXX weapon type").

In particular...

a random sniper (they are all bad :| lanka should be cheap if i remember correctly)

a shotgun (people likes tigris prime, but i think normal Hek is better, Tigris prime hits at high distance due to low spread but its really slow not suited to be your only weapon).

a secondary (this akstiletto prime or lex prime are best choices... but they need many forma and 2-3 primed mods)

a melee (galatine prime, nikana prime, broken war, war etc)

a "rifle" :surprisingly tonkor and synoid simulor are considered rifles, but if you plan to use non OP rifles you need to build them accordingly to mission (combining elemental mods and so on EACH mission).

Mandatory: Carrier with ammo mod (this makes the difference)

-------------------

Or you can just take an EV trinity and let other kill stuff