10 Waves of Defense. Why?

Jakorak

So i've settled into a pattern of running high level Defense for 20 waves to farm focus and relics. However after the 4th time in a row of half the squad leaving at round 10, i've got to ask. Why is everyone leaving at round 10? Does no one want Axi relics? Does no one want better exp? Is everyone hunting SPECIFICALLY for neo relics? Is there something I'm missing?

At this rate i'm never going to get the Axi relics i need for valkyr's loot and I'm going to waste double the time finishing off my focus

There are times when I gotta go or been holding in a crap too long and am not mlg enough to have a S#&$ bucket so I'll leave early and I've noticed when one leaves, this will often cause insecurity in the group cascading into others if not everyone leaving as well.

Like a flock of birds.

2 minutes ago, TrinityPrime said:

There are times when I gotta go or been holding in a crap too long and am not mlg enough to have a S#&$ bucket so I'll leave early and I've noticed when one leaves, this will often cause insecurity in the group cascading into others if not everyone leaving as well.

Like a flock of birds.

This is something I see quite often. Sometimes I push onward anyway.

Another issue I run in to is that fissure missions, in particular, will lock up if the host happens to leave, so when I'm farming extra relics while opening them I will immediately extract if the host extracts.

2 minutes ago, TrinityPrime said:

Like a flock of birds.

yea i can understand real life issues. I expect something like that to happen 1 out of 5 longform pub games. it's when it's the other way around and the 1 game out of five is the one that actually makes it to 20 that i question whether there's something else at work

If it's a PUG then a few reason why people leave are:

1. They don't think the current team is good enough to get to 20 waves time efficiently

2. Something IRL comes up

3. They're only after Neo

4. They were affinity farming and got all they needed

Honestly if it's that much of a bother, go to recruit chat and look for a party willing to stay 20 waves.

When I'm farming for relics, I normally duo with my partner, and we normally go for 20 waves of defense or 4 rounds of interception unless we have real life emergencies.  If random people join and they decide to leave early, we still push on because the two of us can do 20 waves/4 rounds easily without outside help.  You might get lucky and join a semi-preformed group like us, but you'll probably have better luck recruiting people who want the same thing than joining pug if you want to go farther than 10 waves.

Maybe people leave early because they do only want Neo, but I rather stay longer and get Axi as well because why not.  I suspect a lot people leave early in pug if they see others leave because they don't have the confidence to go on by themselves or in a smaller team.  Like someone said, it's a cascade effect.  Someone not liking the team composition is also a logical reason why someone might want to leave the team early.  Nothing wrong with that.

9 hours ago, Jakorak said:

So i've settled into a pattern of running high level Defense for 20 waves to farm focus and relics. However after the 4th time in a row of half the squad leaving at round 10, i've got to ask. Why is everyone leaving at round 10? Does no one want Axi relics? Does no one want better exp? Is everyone hunting SPECIFICALLY for neo relics? Is there something I'm missing?

Because people are cowards and/or fools.

Cowards: I find if one person, or even a pet dies, most people's bottle crashes and they leave the next chance they get. It's pathetic isn't it?

Fools: Dark Sectors aside, the reward for defence gets better with each passing wave, especially with the new fissure defences.

I personally like to run every defence missions as far as I can, because I simply find them the most fun and most challenge in the game, but few others like that. But I understand too that for people with limited time, 20 waves of defence is a bit of a commitment.

For the record, the two defences you have a much better chance of people going to wave 20 and beyond are:

Helene (Saturn): because this is the map everyone comes to in order to level up their frames and weapons. Helene is a very small area, such that in a team of 4 you will always be leeching Affinity from THREE others. i.e. people cannot run away like idiots and rob you of leeched Affinity because the level forces you all to stay together. Helene is extremely efficient at levelling stuff up, and gets more efficient with each passing wave, so expect 20+ waves most runs. [Not entirely sure it drops Axis though]

Any fissure defence: because they have added increasing multipliers to all your drops that just get better the further you go, people are usually up for 20 waves. And they get to crack relics every 5, with increasing reward - this one definitely drops better and rarer relics the further you go as I found myself absolutely swimming in Valkyr Prime part relics including Axis, so its win-win to stay longer. [However I think some people don't know this, so you can add ignorance to the list of reasons].

As a footnote, teams will often break at 5 waves if they contain any "team-unfriendly" equipment such as Ash (pre-rework), or a Synoid Simulour, so avoid bringing stuff like that.

And I just remembered....don't suck. After wave 5, if people see a player did a whopping 1% of the total damage, he either totally sucks or is a free-loader/leech. Either way, it's quitting time.

Edited by GhostlightX

5 minutes ago, GhostlightX said:

As a footnote, teams will often break at 5 waves if they contain any "team-unfriendly" equipment such as Ash (pre-rework), or a Synoid Simulour, so avoid bringing stuff like that.

What's team-unfriendly about that stuff? Lay back enjoy the free XP and the fast waves... I've seen the other extreme too, people leaving because they had to do something themselves.

Regarding the OP's question I don't think there's a general reason, just specific ones you have to ask the leavers about to learn more.

I leave early when someone constantly hinders the team effort, examples:
- repeated use of lasers on Void Defense
- max range slow Nova in low rounds
- max range/duration Nyx

5 minutes ago, Toran said:

What's team-unfriendly about that stuff? 

I need to explain to you why pre-rework Ash was team-unfriendly? As for the others, anything that can spoil the fun? Simulor users hog all the kills because their gun is OP. It also, like the Ignis, completely destroys the corpses it creates so doesn't combo well with Nekros and thus deprives the whole team of loot. The list goes on. Note I am not saying that's why *I* leave*, I'm saying that's other reasons why people might leave.

* I will typically keep going regardless, as long as at least 3 of us press on, I'll go on. My enjoyment of Warframe peaks in defence missions that are taken far enough where there is actually a chance of losing the pod or wiping suddenly. To me everything else in this game is a challenge-free snorefest (yes I am looking at you, Sorties). Late wave defence is my endgame.

6 minutes ago, Toran said:

What's team-unfriendly about that stuff? Lay back enjoy the free XP and the fast waves...

Some people don't want "free xp and fast waves" though. They want to run around being a space ninja and feeling bad &#! and playing the game.

I have a policy of leaving any game where I get grouped with an Ash specifically. I won't even wait 5 waves, just abort immediately. It's irritating when he presses one button from across the map to claim an entire group of enemies. "All the fun belongs to me"

Other frames/players will make me leave after 5 waves. A nuke-frame on a small map like Helene one shotting every wave of enemies with 4 spam will generally make me bow out pretty quick. A Limbo who doesn't know how to play Limbo is another one.

Even on an XP farm map, you're getting less XP for your time into the gear you want to focus on if you're getting team passive XP from all the enemies.

10 hours ago, Jakorak said:

At this rate i'm never going to get the Axi relics i need for valkyr's loot and I'm going to waste double the time finishing off my focus

As you can see from this thread's answers, the reasons are manyfold and there's no deeper secret behind it. Some want it hard, some want it cheesy, some fast, some without pestering, some have to take a crap, some just wanted a certain reward or just to collect two Argon Crystals.

You can try your luck in LFG chat and ask for a 20+ def or better: do the stuff with a friend or two, so it doesn't matter if someone leaves early.