The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Antimatter Frame Name] As A Council Member, I'd Like To Apologise

Asagiri

Nova has nothing to do with antimatter. At all. Supernovas are primarily superheated gas and plasma. How the hell did the DC think Nova was related to antimatter in ANY way?

They didn't think it was related to antimatter. They thought it sounds cool so there you have it. A lot of people in DC most likely didn't even care about the theme of this frame or else we wouldn't have wormhole

I think alot of people didn't read up on what anti-matter was and assumed it was purple space magic with portals.

Imo that would have made a much better frame and concept anyway. It's a sci-fi game, things don't have to be 100% realistic and true, just believable. And I totally believe in purple space magic.

Imo that would have made a much better frame and concept anyway. It's a sci-fi game, things don't have to be 100% realistic and true, just believable. And I totally believe in purple space magic.

Purple space magic you say ? NECROMANCER How I WANT YOU!!!!!

I don't understand why Athena isn't being considered. It's an excellent name, fits with other Warframe's historical-divinity theme, has a pretty fitting "common" interpretation and a very cool, if understated, antimatter theme. It's not like "Vauban" was an on-the-nose name either, and it worked out well.

For the record my support was for Anathema. It wasn't extremely popular but some people liked it. I feel like the name is detached enough from science and historical figures but ties into the antimatter warframe on many levels. I don't think people would call it "anal", Ana definitely, but not anal. It would be a short-lived fad if it happens where only the people with a maturity level of 12 year olds would participate.

Kali and Kalika were two others that seemed to be pretty popular and didn't make it. I don't care for it but people seemed to like it. Nihil and Nihila were also very popular and I also don't care much for them but still surprised not one of them made it. Athena, probably the most popular name suggested and the best sounding. She is still a goddess related to warfare and that is enough to fit into warframe with the other two deity-related frames. Why it wasn't put up in the poll I have no damn clue. I was not a supporter of the name but I'd take Athena over the current options any day if it was in there.

Here's part of my post/reasoning for supporting the name from the thread in reply someones submission for Anathema:

Makes room for some great lore options. It's simple and elegant, to me sort of beautiful sounding (with a hint of something perhaps sinister) and the fact that something not so happy is the meaning behind that word I think works well with the design of the antimatter frame. The frame is also quite simple and the left side of it gives you some indication as to what is truly hidden underneath. The lore behind it could be that the frame was too unstable to rely on and thus banished. I don't know, Anathema just makes me think it sets up the frame perfectly for when (or if) we get lore for individual frames.

I don't think I've seen any names other than this that captures both the visual design and the overall theme of the frame as well as Anathema does.

The rest I just really can't see working with this specific frame. Sure there are some great names but I feel they don't compliment the design of this specific frame at all. Dirac/Dira for example, it doesn't mean much to anyone not present here unless they actually study his work and make the connection of antimatter + dira = reference to dirac. Same with that cern name.
Edited by Seraphyx

For the record my support was for Anathema. It wasn't extremely popular but some people liked it. I feel like the name is detached enough from science and historical figures but ties into the antimatter warframe on many levels. I don't think people would call it "anal", Ana definitely, but not anal. It would be a short-lived fad if it happens where only the people with a maturity level of 12 year olds would participate.

Wait what? How would anyone call A-Neth-Ama (Anathema) Anal?

Both words are not even the same pronunciation or even remotely close.

Edited by Palkora

I don't understand why Athena isn't being considered. It's an excellent name, fits with other Warframe's historical-divinity theme, has a pretty fitting "common" interpretation and a very cool, if understated, antimatter theme. It's not like "Vauban" was an on-the-nose name either, and it worked out well.

Some of us don't like overdone mythological names. Various reasons, but some of us don't.

Vauban was a historical name that fits very well for defense situations for anyone who bothers to look the name up. Of course, many people think history is a subject that should be dropped in the trashcan along with science and mathematics, so whatever.

I am still going to play it no matter what this frame ends up being called.

But I DO thank Athena that her name isn't here.

Wait what? How would anyone call A-Neth-Ama (Anathema) Anal?

Both words are not even the same pronunciation or even remotely close.

Someone earlier gave a reason in this thread against the name Anathema claiming that people would "shorten her name to ana, which is bad. and then from there people would definitely not add an L to that"

The second bit being sarcasm on his part of course, implying people would call her anal.

The poll thus far, seems like Nova it is. Poll closes tomorrow.

Xy3s7C9.png

Edited by Seraphyx

I hate to dredge up this point, but this thread has gone on for a good ten pages since it got mentioned and so I'm curious.  Did anyone associate the name Nova first with a feminine Latin word for "new"?  Or did everyone just immediately think of stars?

I hate to dredge up this point, but this thread has gone on for a good ten pages since it got mentioned and so I'm curious.  Did anyone associate the name Nova first with a feminine Latin word for "new"?  Or did everyone just immediately think of stars?

Still curious as to what "new" means for antimatter?

It was brought up a couple pages in.

I just wish it was male so we could've named it Hadron

Actually I wish it was a necro.

I voted for Cerna because it's obviously a reference to CERN and Cerna just sounds beautiful to me, I feel like I'd name my daughter that. Maybe I'll name a cat that since I can't have/don't want kids.

Edited by VegetableBasket

No relevance whatsoever. But this way, he gets to feel superior 'cos he knows latin, guys, and the rest of us are just super-stupid astrophiles. He even italicised "anyone" so as to further differentiate himself from the unwashed masses. The fact it was mentioned ages ago in the thread, and brushed over as having nothing to do with it whatsoever, matters not.

Nothing.  But people seem to take issue with it referring to star brightening, and personally I didn't vote for Nova with that in mind.  And frankly I thought "new" for the first player-assisted frame was fitting.

No relevance whatsoever. But this way, he gets to feel superior 'cos he knows latin, guys, and the rest of us are just super-stupid astrophiles. He even italicised "anyone" so as to further differentiate himself from the unwashed masses. The fact it was mentioned ages ago in the thread, and brushed over as having nothing to do with it whatsoever, matters not.

Wow, ouch.  I had no idea I was being so pretentious or that I actually knew Latin.  It was just a question, because (again) I voted for it for that reason, most people seems to have problems with Nova referring to an astrological event, and I wanted to know if anyone else didn't consider that while voting.

Edited by Cursor

Wow, ouch.  I had no idea I was being so pretentious or that I actually knew Latin.  It was just a question, because (again) I voted for it for that reason, most people seems to have problems with Nova referring to an astrological event, and I wanted to know if anyone else didn't consider that while voting.

Alright, fine.  You probably didn't deserve that response. I apologise. But out of interest, why DID you vote for it with the latin in mind? That makes even less sense to me than the star thing - it's not going to be "new" for very long?

Nothing.  But people seem to take issue with it referring to star brightening, and personally I didn't vote for Nova with that in mind.  And frankly I thought "new" for the first player-assisted frame was fitting.

So it coulod have been any frame and Nova would have been fitting?

Even so Nova in its latin form still makes no sense what so ever for an antimatter frame.

Alright, fine.  You probably didn't deserve that response. I apologise. But out of interest, why DID you vote for it with the latin in mind? That makes even less sense to me than the star thing - it's not going to be "new" for very long?

Because unlike a lot of people who say they "researched" by reading the wikipedia page, I actually read it and learned what nova meant?  Sorry, that part does whiff a bit pretentious, but I do get the impression that people say they did some "research" on anti-matter or novae didn't actually bother reading.

Frankly that doesn't matter much at all.  Nothing that is named "new" remains new for long.  Does that mean it was never novel to begin with?  It's still the first in what is a very different method in frame design, so it works for me.  And Nova just sounds really good, cliche as it is, so I'm down with it.

I knew of its meaning in Latin, but the general consensus for that word is of astronomical meaning. Most people instantly think of "Supernova" when they see the word "Nova". And that's no doubt the reason why it was posted in the first place. But either way, I wouldn't have picked "Nova" because both meanings of the word have nothing to do with antimatter. Supernovas are related to stars. The Latin meaning, as you said, means "New". We might as well call ALL new warframes "Nova" if we're going to go with the Latin meaning.

You don't say

Don't make this into a fight. I was having a nice conversation about the topic at hand - you had no reason to post this and try to rile me up. You weren't even in the conversation to begin with. This is called a Troll post. Stop being childish and stay on topic.

Edited by SoulEchelon

The most disappointing part of this whole thread is how little explanation some people are giving for their dislike of others' ideas.

It's great that people are able offer their own ideas and explain those ideas. It's not great that so many here aren't giving someone else's idea the respect it deserves when they disagree with it. Knowing what we like and don't like is good - it means we've at least taken the time to examine the issue from our own perspective. However, you can't stop there. It's good to know your own mind, but you can't hole up in it and take pot shots at anything that doesn't match your psyche's carpet and drapes scheme.

That kind of behavior isn't good enough for a community that is being asked to participate actively in the design process of this game. If we believe our input is treated as a resource (and for this to work at all, we must), shouldn't we be working hard to make that resource as useful as possible? Not everyone has the opportunity to educate themselves on the myriad artistic disciplines that factor into game design, and that's fine. However, we can't afford to assume we're educated when our language doesn't reflect that.

Perhaps the bottom line is that I can understand being unhappy, but I can't agree with how people are acting on that unhappiness. If I want to use this frame and don't like what it's called, I will simply refer to it internally by whatever name I like. We do this all the time in a world where people who speak different languages use different talksounds to refer to the same ideas, but for some reason it's just too hard to teach ourselves to do this on command?

Hogwash! I'll call this new frame Geoff if it suits me. Strike that, the dead pixel on my monitor is already called Geoff. Terry it is, then.

Stuff

Wow, I nearly forgot about this thread:

Must say you got a blooming fantasy. I take your post as a compliment though as your only form of verbal attack is calling others "elitist". And in my book being called an "elitist" isn't a bad thing. However this topic is neither about you and the irony you failed to see nor is it about me being what you call "an elitist"  :D

Also thanks @Notso.

I don't think the Warframes name is all that important and in fact seeing the Antimatter Warframe being the first project of Designcouncil and DE is actually a immense step forward to communication between playerbase and developers. At least I don't recall any game that I have played before to have the gamers decide - Well... On anything at all.

Staying sour over "the name" will ruin the Warframe before any of us even get to try it.