The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Antimatter Frame Name] As A Council Member, I'd Like To Apologise

Asagiri

Yet here we are with something as specific as antimatter. Because it sounds cool. And a bunch of irrelevant powers and names to choose from. I've been against an antimatter frame since the beginning, and have voiced my concerns in several threads.   Now all i can do is try to prevent a warframe being named after something that has nothing to do with the warframe it will be the name of.  It's like naming Ember,  Microwave, dumb and makes no sense

Sweet jesus... why cant you just go away and cry in a corner that you wont get the cookie? How exactly you want to prevent naming frame Nova? Lets force people to vote for Null, because its the closest one and can actually make it?

You are one person ergo 1 vote. But you want more. It was people's WF - let the people decide, who the hell you are to tell them what is the right name to decide? 

Edited by derclaw

Sweet jesus... why cant you just go away and cry in a corner that you wont get the cookie? How exactly you want to prevent naming frame Nova? Lets force people to vote for Null, because its the closest one and can actually make it?

You are one person ergo 1 vote. But you want more. It was people's WF - let the people decide, who the hell you are to tell them what is the right name to decide? 

In a debate, every person gets to argue their case. I'm not forcing people or telling them which name they should vote for. Only trying to educate them on how poor a choice most of them are, and which ones make even some small bit of sense.    Who the hell are you to tell me to stop trying and go cry in a corner?  Nobody, some random person who is disagreeing with me, as i am some random person disagreeing with you.

Its not a debate  - its a whine thread of poor smarty-pants who dont like that people makes their DC Frame into the walking box of sci-fi tropes. If you consider whole frame to be slap in your face - well... why so serious?

Remind me why again her name should be anything related to Antymatter? I guess if they gona make her Ultimate to look like a giant flare that irradiates enemies or if her explosions will look more like anime-style energy blast (which they kinda should if Nova will make it) with rays of energy everywhere - thats enought to call her Nova. The naming by what her powers look like, not how they work. But no - must get the Null upvoted!

Edited by derclaw

I must say that I am not all that scientific knowledgable  about what Antimatter is and does.

But I am more than curious as to what other "noticable good" names were chosen in the design council.

Can someone post a list of those names that were good but didn't make it into the poll?

Its not a debate  - its a whine thread of poor smarty-pants who dont like that people makes their DC Frame into the walking box of sci-fi tropes. If you consider whole frame to be slap in your face - well... why so serious?

Remind me why again her name should be anything related to Antymatter? I guess if they gona make her Ultimate to look like a giant flare that irradiates enemies or if her explosions will look more like anime-style energy blast (which they kinda should) with rays of energy everywhere - thats enought to call her Nova. The naming by what her powers look like, not how they work. But no - must get the Null upvoted!

Other frames are named in regard to their base concepts. Why does this one need to break the mold in that regard? Antimatter is the base concept, the name should suit that. The fact that her powers are ill-fitting to that concept is a result of people picking a concept they know jack-squat about and simply pull ideas out of their misinterpreting wiki-fueled asses. Nova has no correlation to the base concept, DE should have taken that into regard as I'm sure (or at least I hope) that they made some effort into researching the concept to get at least a basic understanding of the key aspects (of something they intend to release in THEIR game), and simply not added it to the list of potential names. Nova is a fine name for a future frame that actually suits it, this isn't the one.

Edited by Howlsing

Other frames are named in regard to their base concepts. Why does this one need to break the mold in that regard? 

Why not?

Also if you bring it up - Ember is not universally refred to burning coal. Saryn was changed from Sarin due to huge whining.

Nyx - wtf is Nyx? The Greek goddess (or personification) of the night? How is this anywhere close to mind controll and telekinetic?

Ash - I guess named Ash cause they didint want to name him Smoke, yet in early development he was refered to as Smoke.

Vauban - the fortification builder. Yeah... I guess my vacuum bombs and jump-pads resemble it close enough.

We dont whine about those names cause we didint get to choose. We just were happy about new toys to play with.

I dont belive any of you who say that they will ignore new frame if it will be called Nova - that's a lie. Because among everything else this will be not the selling point of it. 

Nova can be justified just like Rhino. 

Rhino is called so cause he is huge, heavy and mahses everything with his forehead. He is cappable of resembling rhino.

As for new frame - we dont even know how her skills will look like. She can easly end with bright energy explosions FX thus justifying her name, and who cares if all those blinding blast are caused by anihilating antimatter?

Edited by derclaw

Why not?

Also if you bring it up - Ember is not universally refred to burning coal. Saryn was changed from Sarin due to huge whining.

Nyx - wtf is Nyx? The Greek goddess (or personification) of the night? How is this anywhere close to mind controll and telekinetic?

Ash - I guess named Ash cause they didint want to name him Smoke, yet in early development he was refered to as Smoke.

Nova can be justified just like Rhino. 

Rhino is called so cause he is huge, heavy and mahses everything with his forehead. He is cappable of resembling rhino.

As for new frame - we dont even know how her skills will look like. She can easly end with bright energy explosions FX thus justifying her name, and who cares if all those blinding blast are caused by anihilating antimatter?

Nova doesn't make sense just because it's explosions, a nova is related to stars and nuclear fusion. I know this forum isn't home to the most sciencey types, and I don't claim to be an expert, but that's not what anti-matter is. It's related only by the very, very thin tangent that is sci-fi space genre, in which case the frame might as well be named Deathstar because "the Deathstar explodes at the end of the movies, explosions, just like her abilities!" You might as well call Rhino 'Metapod' or Banshee 'Microphone' following the same logic.

I know it seems like a trivial discussion to the ubermensch who had the funds to back their opinions on the game's direction, but it really shows as to who does care about the intricacies of the game and who don't, who pay attention and who don't. People are perturbed that the names don't make sense, and they're not complaining for the sake of complaining, but because they genuinely care for the game.

Edited by Tangerine

Nova doesn't make sense just because it's explosions, a nova is related to stars and nuclear fusion. I know this forum isn't home to the most sciencey types, and I don't claim to be an expert, but that's not what anti-matter is. It's related only by the very, very thin tangent that is sci-fi space genre, in which case the frame might as well be named Deathstar because "the Deathstar explodes at the end of the movies, explosions, just like her abilities!" You might as well call Rhino 'Metapod' or Banshee 'Microphone' following the same logic.

This argument upsets me (not yours, the one you're responding too).

Not knowing about science is legitimate. Not caring about science is stupid, but legitimate. However, making a frame built around a scientific principle and only then claiming to not care about it is indefensible. Had this been that stupid "necro" frame, I wouldn't care. Call it what you will. It's not a real thing and exists entirely in the world of fiction, and thus is liable to interpretation and imagination. But the Council chose to base their frame around a real science and should thus respect it throughout the design process, so as to avoid exactly this,.

The name is fine, cannot really understand why some of you are getting so bent just because there isn't a direct connection between the name and the theme of the warframe. The name will most likely be "Nova"...deal with it and get over it.

The name is fine, cannot really understand why some of you are getting so bent just because there isn't a direct connection between the name and the theme of the warframe. The name will most likely be "Nova"...deal with it and get over it.

Hey, cool. A real Grand Master, popping in to show us just why this is a problem to start with. The fact you outright state that you don't give a damn whatsoever about appropriate design, yet are one of those privileged to be able to design the latest addition to our game, is just swell. Really.

Edited by MangoMonkey

Hey, cool. A real Grand Master, popping in to show us just why this is a problem to start with. The fact you outright state that you don't give a damn whatsoever about appropriate design, yet are one of those tasked with designing the latest addition to our game, is just swell. Really.

Not everyone has the same mentality as that GM does, don't lump all of them in the same group.

Not everyone has the same mentality as that GM does, don't lump all of them in the same group.

I didn't, believe me. But given that these decisions are being made, it'd appear that your good self and those who do care about quality design are in the minority.

Edited by MangoMonkey