Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

infested weapons need some love

ObviousLee

If this is in the wrong section by all means feel free to move it.

So, we have Wraith, Prime, and Vandal weapon sidegrades/upgrades. So why not so for infested weaponry?

I mean yea, we have mutalist, but those are strictly corpus weapons becoming infested due to Alad V altering the infestation. 

My suggestion, a new weapon tier called Ancient. As the infestation ages, it becomes more and more potent, and since infested weapons are organisms in of themselves, why don't we have variants of the same nature?

Please DE, give us who adore the infestation some kinda upgrade for our babies. Lee needs an Ancient Phage in his life.

Interesting Ideas submitted by folks in this thread:

ranged infested weapons that infest enemies on kill, adding to the friendly unit count in missions.

infested weapons that become excited when they make a kill, giving extended reach or additive toxin damage.

(possibly gamebreaking) infinite ammo similar to archwing weapons with recharge mechanic/overheat mechanic on beam weapons.

Infested unit spawner.

more ideas folks, bigger the better (provided they aren't entirely balance shattering.)

post your thoughts below folks, lets get this ball rollin!

Edited by ObviousLee

I think they do need to be looked at and more than a few need a stat buff to be brought more in line with their non-Infested counter parts. Now is also a good time for this because we should be getting the Infested Warframe before the end of the year and I imagine that a lot of players (like myself) will be using one or more Infested weapons with the frame.

i know i'm going to be buying the infested frame right out the gate. Infested is hands down my favorite faction, as it's almost every monster movie i used to watch as a kid rolled into one. so, something akin to a factional upgrade would only be a positive in my eyes. 

the most recent additions to the infested weapons family, pox and caustacyst, are absolutely amazing. All we're asking for is something like that for our older babies.

22 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

I mean yea, we have mutalist, but those are strictly corpus weapons becoming infested due to Alad V altering the infestation. 

Two words: Mutalist Cernos

Mutalists aren't restricted to any weapons aside from those that are already, well, infested.

That said, I agree. Infested weapons need some lovin, aside from even more new weapons. Interesting mechanics are great and all, but stats matter too!

1 minute ago, BulletsforTeeth said:

Two words: Mutalist Cernos

Mutalists aren't restricted to any weapons aside from those that are already, well, infested.

That said, I agree. Infested weapons need some lovin, aside from even more new weapons. Interesting mechanics are great and all, but stats matter too!

not gonna lie, completely forgot about the mutalist cernos. also the dual toxicysts. but yea, adding "primed" variants for older infested weapons with improved stats would be such a wonderful inclusion. I'd love nothing more.

Would love to see something like that ingame, as the infested are my favorite enemy faction.

I also would like to see more infested weapons in general, like a infested nikana, or a infested greatbow, with some interesting abilities.

For example a nikana that gets "excited" upon killing an enemy, granting it increased reach and slash or toxin damage.

Or as example for a greatbow, the bow could fire infested arrows, which would consume a killed enemy to create something like the pods of the upcoming infested frame. The pods could either spawn tendrils which grab near enemies and choke, or spawn maggots with a short life span, which latch upon enemies to deal continually damage and have a small chance on "infesting an enemy corpse on kill.

Edited by Gemenai
examples

3 minutes ago, Gemenai said:

Would love to see something like that ingame, as the infested are my favorite enemy faction.

I also would like to see more infested weapons in general, like a infested nikana, or a infested greatbow, with some interesting abilities.

indeed. personally i'd love to see an infested hammer, just because of crushing ruin. maybe spawning maggots on charge attacks or ground slams or something.

11 minutes ago, Gemenai said:

For example a nikana that gets "excited" upon killing an enemy, granting it increased reach and slash or toxin damage.

Or as example for a greatbow, the bow could fire infested arrows, which would consume a killed enemy to create something like the pods of the upcoming infested frame. The pods could either spawn tendrils which grab near enemies and choke, or spawn maggots with a short life span, which latch upon enemies to deal continually damage and have a small chance on "infesting an enemy corpse on kill.

i REALLY like the idea of a ranged infesting bow. like holy cow thats fantastic. a high enough damage output could ohk an enemy and effectively add to friendly units. thats honestly better than the synoid heliocor in my eyes.

1 minute ago, (XB1)InfernusXcanis said:

Synapse does amazing when banshee uses it....but then again....banshee makes all weapons OP

what we're talking about here is upgrades for existing infested weaponry. they should be able to stand up entirely on their own merits, not due to warframes interactions with them.

so, in that regard, what would you like to see, or implemented?

2 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

what we're talking about here is upgrades for existing infested weaponry. they should be able to stand up entirely on their own merits, not due to warframes interactions with them.

so, in that regard, what would you like to see, or implemented?

Possibly make all infested weapons have 100% status, and give them innate extra power against non infested enemies, like 150% extra power.

this would allow infested weapons to dish out decent dmg against non infested.

another idea is to allow infested weapons to auto reload(reload time is a split second) to allow for continuous fire, infested melee could extend for impressive range(increased by reach/prime)

just a few ideas.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)InfernusXcanis said:

Possibly make all infested weapons have 100% status, and give them innate extra power against non infested enemies, like 150% extra power.

this would allow infested weapons to dish out decent dmg against non infested.

another idea is to allow infested weapons to auto reload(reload time is a split second) to allow for continuous fire, infested melee could extend for impressive range(increased by reach/prime)

just a few ideas.

100% status would be broken, and therefore op. we're looking for slight-medium upgrades, similar to primes/vandals/wraiths. anything more would break the balance more so than it already is. same thing applies to the reload time.

we're trying to aim for bumps in power for newer versions of old infested weapons, not power creep - the unrestrained.

so, what mechanics would you suggest, in lieu of rampant stat increases.

1 minute ago, ObviousLee said:

100% status would be broken, and therefore op. we're looking for slight-medium upgrades, similar to primes/vandals/wraiths. anything more would break the balance more so than it already is. same thing applies to the reload time.

we're trying to aim for bumps in power for newer versions of old infested weapons, not power creep - the unrestrained.

so, what mechanics would you suggest, in lieu of rampant stat increases.

Multi targeting.

example: infested braton can fire at multiple enemies at once w/o splitting dmg. Crit/status chance is split however.

example2: infested weapon 1 will heal the user based on dmg dealt and the enemy's dmg resistance.(70%DR would heal you for 30% of your dmg dealt)

9 minutes ago, (XB1)InfernusXcanis said:

Multi targeting.

example: infested braton can fire at multiple enemies at once w/o splitting dmg. Crit/status chance is split however.

example2: infested weapon 1 will heal the user based on dmg dealt and the enemy's dmg resistance.(70%DR would heal you for 30% of your dmg dealt)

well, the multi targeting could possibly be a thing, but it'd have to be limited to a singular weapon that would be able to adequately house the mechanic, so say....infested amprex. but again, we're focusing singularly on already existing infested weapons, like the synapse, phage, embolist. things of those nature. the healing would need a higher level of mitigation to prevent infinite health regen, as we already have that issue to a degree on inaros with rage and life strike. 

and before anyone says "inaros doesn't need lifestrike" yes, you're right he doesn't. that doesn't remove the fact that he immensely benefits from it due to melee damage output being bonkers if used/modded properly, and a single channeled strike in passing will fill your hp to max, with almost no downsides as rage refills your power based on incoming damage to hp.

so, what we're getting at, is if you're wanting a non-infested weapon infested, thats fine so long as it's not A: broken af. and B: has interesting mechanics that would support a validation of use. See below quote for solid example.

2 hours ago, Gemenai said:

Edited by ObviousLee

3 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

well, the multi targeting could possibly be a thing, but it'd have to be limited to a singular weapon that would be able to adequately house the mechanic, so say....infested amprex. but again, we're focusing singularly on already existing infested weapons, like the synapse, phage, embolist. things of those nature. the healing would need a higher level of mitigation to prevent infinite health regen, as we already have that issue to a degree on inaros with rage and life strike. 

and before anyone says "inaros doesn't need lifestrike" yes, you're right he doesn't. that doesn't remove the fact that he immensely benefits from it due to melee damage output being bonkers if used/modded properly, and a single channeled strike in passing will fill your hp to max, with almost no downsides as rage refills your power based on incoming damage to hp.

so, what we're getting at, is if you're wanting a non-infested weapon infested, thats fine so long as it's not A: broken af. and B: has interesting mechanics that would support a validation of use. See below quote for solid example.

I know the healing would need higher mitigation, those were an example.

also...i like that "excitement" concept.

example: Synapse passive: as this gun deals damage, it becomes excited. The higher its "excitement " gauge, the more it heals. After about 10 seconds in, the gun enters a cool down period of 30 sec.

infested orthos: once excitement has built up, whips extend from the blades, increasing range.

how's that?

I know the healing would need higher mitigation, those were an example.

also...i like that "excitement" concept.

example: Synapse passive: as this gun deals damage, it becomes excited. The higher its "excitement " gauge, the more it heals. After about 10 seconds in, the gun enters a cool down period of 30 sec.

infested orthos: once excitement has built up, whips extend from the blades, increasing range.

how's that?

honestly? very interesting. we doing any kind of force procs or no? open up that noodle and show me whatcha got inside

2 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

honestly? very interesting. we doing any kind of force procs or no? open up that noodle and show me whatcha got inside

On the synapse, i was thinking something along the lines of toxin, to sort of simulate the gun consuming its target and healing you(dmg ramps up as the gauge does)

orthos? Corrosive, to compliment it's slash damage.

and theoretically, the procs could be altered based on elemental mods or even add more procs by doing so(as we are now, several elemental weapons aren't very powerful...this would make infested versions more viable)

and depending on the proc, it's effect would start off low and build up as the weapon deals damage.

Example: synapse heal/toxin rate.

first level: heal; 10% toxjn dmg: 10% of weapon dmg.

2: hp: 15%, toxin: 15%

etc.

5 minutes ago, (XB1)InfernusXcanis said:

On the synapse, i was thinking something along the lines of toxin, to sort of simulate the gun consuming its target and healing you(dmg ramps up as the gauge does)

orthos? Corrosive, to compliment it's slash damage.

and theoretically, the procs could be altered based on elemental mods or even add more procs by doing so(as we are now, several elemental weapons aren't very powerful...this would make infested versions more viable)

and depending on the proc, it's effect would start off low and build up as the weapon deals damage.

Example: synapse heal/toxin rate.

first level: heal; 10% toxjn dmg: 10% of weapon dmg.

2: hp: 15%, toxin: 15%

etc.

so basically overheat mechanic with a side heal. not bad at all honestly.

Of course, it wouldn't scale off powers that boost dmg(sonar....halls, eclipse) this would prevent abuse of banshees running around with infinite hp.

overheat would prevent this as well though 

agreed. it would also add an interesting mechanic to a weapon that's been sidelined for many a year.

Infested weapons are my favorite kind of weapon. Most are difficult but rewarding to use in some way, which I really love. The ones I've tested don't need buffs, but I wouldn't be, at all, opposed to some more monstrous versions of them. (My favorite loadout uses Paracyst, Tysis, and Caustacyst, and my Oberon wears the Apoxys Syandana.)

24 minutes ago, (PS4)Darth-Escar said:

Infested weapons are my favorite kind of weapon. Most are difficult but rewarding to use in some way, which I really love. The ones I've tested don't need buffs, but I wouldn't be, at all, opposed to some more monstrous versions of them. (My favorite loadout uses Paracyst, Tysis, and Caustacyst, and my Oberon wears the Apoxys Syandana.)

my favorite has been the phage since it's release in update 12. but, with the passage of time power creep has rendered it ineffective in comparison to more modern bangbangs. still my absolute favorite primary in the game mind you, but i'd rather see a beefier version of it, than relying on a single mod(riven) to eventually possibly improve its performance.

pox? favorite secondary period. 

melee? caustacyst baby, all the way. things a straight up destroyer of worlds with gas and a blind/sleep frame.

12 hours ago, ObviousLee said:

i REALLY like the idea of a ranged infesting bow. like holy cow thats fantastic. a high enough damage output could ohk an enemy and effectively add to friendly units. thats honestly better than the synoid heliocor in my eyes.

Like Mutalist Daikyu...