Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riven mods and primed mods:not enough points and getting stuck with configurations

DLz47

Hello, as the title says, the new riven mods system in combination with the primed mods made the problem of having the right configuration for the right enemy a real pain and in some cases, impossible (as it was predictable).

Here an example with soma prime:

Bjt09NA4.jpg

oZ4GmZKA.jpg

as you can see, I can't have the best configuration against the corpus because there aren't enough points at my disposal ( 5 formas and a catalyst aren't anough). To be able to put primed cryo rounds I should use another forma and put a D (Vazarin polarity) in the last not forma'ed slot, BUT, if do that, I won't have enough points for a good Grineer and Infested configuration because, as you can see, there are not enough points left to put a mod with the dash polarity (Naramon) in a slot with a different polarity (the one with the Vazarin). Not only this, but if for example I want to have another configuration, with vile acceleration instead of the riven mod, I can't because, guess what, there aren't enough points.

Solutions:

I know DE said they want to get rid of mandatory mods (damage and multishot) but meanwhile we are stuck, so a solution, could be to let us change the polarity of our forma'ed slots as we want or reducing the cost of riven or primed mods or temporarily (until the change for the mandatory mods is here) increase the base points for the weapons from 30 to 40 or 45 or change the polarity for cold mods from Naramon to Madurai like ALL the others not AW elemental mods.

Edited by DLz47

5 minutes ago, Enno69 said:

What if you used the normal version of the primed mod ?

Really? I said BEST configuration. What if I use all the mods at rank 0? Even better, I could use no mods at all. Come on....

2 minutes ago, FLSH_BNG said:

Darn, looks like you'll have to use a different weapon, or build a second Soma Prime to mod against the Corpus...

I just made an example, same thing is true for other weapons, and I thought having different configurations on the same weapon (A,B,C) would mean that I could use that weapon with different configurations for different enemies in the best way possible,

1 minute ago, Helch0rn said:

you can't have your cake and eat it too

you have to decide what you want, if there were enough points to use both then that would not only mean severe power creep but also a reduction in build variety

More points=less variety? Really. I also said that if I don't want to use the riven mods and put vile acceleration (for example) I can't becaue there are not enough points at my disposal. What I want is more variety, the option to don't have the riven and/or the primed mods or to have those depending from the situations. About the power creep, it depends from the lvl of the enemies you play against.

Edited by DLz47

4 minutes ago, DLz47 said:

Really? I said BEST configuration. What if I use all the mods at rank 0? Even better, I could use no mods at all. Come on....

If you can't see the gap between "slotting unranked mods or no mods at all" and "using that special cold mod that just reeks of powercreep and isn't in anyway necessary" (or else people would have been helpless before it came out), well then... You can't have your cake and eat it too, as Helch0rn just said. Compromises have to be made. No offense

4 minutes ago, DLz47 said:

do you really need so much damage that it trivializes fighting high levels?

high level gameplay is already cheesy enough, we don't need any more cheese

2 minutes ago, Major_Phantom said:

I tihnk it's fine as it is cause it limits you on purpose so you decide what you want.

quoting because it's true

My old idea, of re-using the "unused" mods :

" Make use of unused (or almost never used mods), make them a kind of weapon aura, or stance like in melee and reduce “drain” to 5 - 6 in order for them not to give to many mod points - this has two positive sides, unused mods will have a purpose and also it will reduce a need to put 6 forma and re-forma a weapon if one wants to change the build, thus it will be good to upcoming weapon mods changes and build diversity. Examples :

Rifle:

• ammo drum    (?)
  • magazine warp    (?)
  • eagle eye
  • hush
  • rifle aptitude (make it base status)
  • sinister reach
  • stabilizer
  • continues misery
  • overview
  • terminal velocity

Shotgun:

• ammo stock    (?)
  • shell compression   (?)
  • fatal acceleration
  • lingering torment
  • shotgun savvy (make it base status)

Pistol:

• slip magazine    (?)
  • trick mag    (?)
  • air recon
  • hawk eye
  • lethal momentum
  • perpetual agony
  • steady hands
  • suppress
  • sure shot (make it base status)
  • eject magazine
  • reflex draw

Auto-reloading when holstered mods would be good here.

(?) - they might be removed from the list if you think it would be an overkill "

Edited by tocorro
added spoiler

22 minutes ago, DLz47 said:

More points=less variety? Really. I also said that if I don't want to use the riven mods and put vile acceleration (for example) I can't becaue there are not enough points at my disposal. What I want is more variety, the option to don't have the riven and/or the primed mods or to have those depending from the situations. About the power creep, it depends from the lvl of the enemies you play against.

you are not the only one that "suffers" from not having enough mod points

so currently people have to chose another, less powerful, mod and different people choose different mods

if they raise the modpoint capacity now do you really think people would not get rid of the less powerful mods to make space for the most powerful mods they have?

7 minutes ago, Enno69 said:

If you can't see the gap between "slotting unranked mods or no mods at all" and "using that special cold mod that just reeks of powercreep and isn't in anyway necessary" (or else people would have been helpless before it came out), well then... You can't have your cake and eat it too, as Helch0rn just said. Compromises have to be made. No offense

Ofc I can see the gap, but in your answer there was not evidence of you reading the words "BEST configuration". Anyway, can you see the difference between primed cryo round and normal cryo rounds? Really easy: try simulacrum against lvl 130 and use a timer. Those 2 or 3 seconds in time become much more against enemies 200+ . Also if the mod is here, why I should not be able to use it in the way I want?

7 minutes ago, Helch0rn said:

do you really need so much damage that it trivializes fighting high levels?

high level gameplay is already cheesy enough, we don't need any more cheese

quoting because it's true

Trivializing and power creep depends by the lvl of the enemies you fight as I said. At this point you could argue to nerf banshee because she can give you the ability to do 1.8 milion damage against unarmored enemies, or to nerf equinox, because he can store incredible amount of damage.

10 minutes ago, Major_Phantom said:

I tihnk it's fine as it is cause it limits you on purpose so you decide what you want.

Those limits become a problem against really high lvl. I want to be able to have the best cfg against the enemy without configurations excluding each other

24 minutes ago, tocorro said:

" Make use of unused (or almost never used mods), make them a kind of weapon aura, or stance like in melee and reduce “drain” to 5 - 6 in order for them not to give to many mod points - this has two positive sides, unused mods will have a purpose and also it will reduce a need to put 6 forma and re-forma a weapon if one wants to change the build, thus it will be good to upcoming weapon mods changes and build diversity. Examples :

Reveal hidden contents

Rifle:

ammo drum    (?)

magazine warp    (?)

eagle eye

hush

rifle aptitude (make it base status)

sinister reach

stabilizer

continues misery

overview

terminal velocity

Shotgun:

ammo stock    (?)

shell compression   (?)

fatal acceleration

lingering torment

shotgun savvy (make it base status)

Pistol:

slip magazine    (?)

trick mag    (?)

air recon

hawk eye

lethal momentum

perpetual agony

steady hands

suppress

sure shot (make it base status)

eject magazine

reflex draw

(?) - they might be removed from the list if you think it would be an overkill "

Would be nice

9 minutes ago, Helch0rn said:

you are not the only one that "suffers" from not having enough mod points

so currently people have to chose another, less powerful, mod and different people choose different mods

if they raise the modpoint capacity now do you really think people would not get rid of the less powerful mods to make space for the most powerful mods they have?

There are already so many good mods that already you must decide. For example, I had to choose (before riven) between vile acceleration and the primed bane mods and other elemental mods, and later, between those and the primed cryo rounds. And I'm not even talking about status mods that are good, or argon scope or bladed rounds. And then I had to choose between riven, vile acceration and primed cryo rounds. You already have to choose. I'm not talking about choosing, the problem here is configurations excluding each other on the same weapon.

Edited by DLz47

This isn't an issue about Warframe.

This is an issue you personally have.

Warframe is about optimising equipment in the way you personally want it optimised. Other people have said it already and they are right: you can't have your cake and eat it, too. If you want to mod your Soma P to rip through Corpus and give them a collectively new arsehole, you're going to have to sacrifice your gun's capacity to perform equally well in other areas. 

The only gun in the game - the only gun in the game - that I've seen in my experience with the ability to rip through any enemy without prejudice is the likes of Sancti Tigris and Tigris Prime, who both do so much damage with damage mods and multishot mods alone that any configuration you give them afterwards is just a bonus. Most stuff below 60 just blows up when they shoot it regardless.

Other guns, however, demand sacrifices of you. And rightly so. It's the same reason you can't have a Warframe that can spec hard into max range, max duration, max efficiency and max power. Because if you could do that, what would be the point in those mods even being options? And that, my friend, is the point of Warframe. You're asking for a gun that has enough capacity or mod slots to be able to be modded to destroy anything you point it at. And we're telling you: no, you can't have that, because if you could there would be no point in modding in the first place. See what we're getting at?

If you want a gun that reams through Corpus like a hot knife through better, you should expect it at the very minimum to not perform at the same rate against the other two factions. 

Edited by Airyllish

3 minutes ago, Airyllish said:

This isn't an issue about Warframe.

This is an issue you personally have.

Warframe is about optimising equipment in the way you personally want it optimised. [...]

If you want a gun that reams through Corpus like a hot knife through better, you should expect it at the very minimum to not perform at the same rate against the other two factions. 

I agree.

This suggestion was also very interesting :

28 minutes ago, tocorro said:

Reveal hidden contents

Rifle:

ammo drum    (?)

magazine warp    (?)

eagle eye

hush

rifle aptitude (make it base status)

sinister reach

stabilizer

continues misery

overview

terminal velocity

Shotgun:

ammo stock    (?)

shell compression   (?)

fatal acceleration

lingering torment

shotgun savvy (make it base status)

Pistol:

slip magazine    (?)

trick mag    (?)

air recon

hawk eye

lethal momentum

perpetual agony

steady hands

suppress

sure shot (make it base status)

eject magazine

reflex draw

Even if said mods don't give us extra points, make at least something like an exilus slot (maybe one that doesn't cost any point), so that we can use at least one utility mod on any given build.

@AiryllishWhere, tell me please, I said I want a weapon that can have all the good mods in a single configuration and maxing all the aspects of the weapon at once? And also tell me where I asked for more slots (more slots are not equvalent to more points)? I'm just asking for configurations not excluding each other on the same weapon. Then I will choose the mods I want. If more DPS or more status or more damage in the single bullet, etc... The problem here is that to have, what is for me, the best configuration for corpus I have to sacrifice the best configurations for grineer and infested. In the single configuration (A,B,C) it self there are already compromises. Is like having a duration loki (lets say in the A cfg) does not allow you to have in a DIFFERENT configuration (lets say B) a range loki. Right now I don't even have anough points to remove the riven, and put something else, not even a mod that requires 9 points. Switching between configurations (optimising) in not possible if you don't use formas all the times you want to change something on a weapon. I'm asking for weapons to perform equally well on different areas with different configurations and not being stuck with specific mods. And honestly I don't think that having a configuration that is good for a faction should exclude that weapon from being good for all the others 2.

Edited by DLz47

33 minutes ago, DLz47 said:

I'm just asking for configurations not excluding each other on the same weapon.

This is why the capacity system exists; specifically to exclude the best (and thus likely the most costly) combinations of mods from existing on the same weapon.  It's one of the game's few limitations upon power creep.  Sucks that you've hit the limit on a weapon, but that's just it - you've hit the weapon's limit, you're going to have to settle for second-best unless DE decides to extend that limit in some way,

If there's a flaw in DE's design here, it's that mod-slot polarity is not saved on a per-configuration basis, instead of the per-equipment basis that they use.  As a result, you cannot truly have "for Corpus", "for Grineer", and "for Infested" configurations on the same weapon unless they all use mods of the same polarity combination and have roughly the same total capacity cost.

This is a limitation you're just going to have to live with, unless you can convince DE to implement a system by which different configurations can have different polarities on forma'd mod slots.  Asking for additional capacity is more-or-less a complete non-starter.

Edited by Arkvold

1 hour ago, DLz47 said:

@AiryllishWhere, tell me please, I said I want a weapon that can have all the good mods in a single configuration and maxing all the aspects of the weapon at once? And also tell me where I asked for more slots (more slots are not equvalent to more points)? I'm just asking for configurations not excluding each other on the same weapon. Then I will choose the mods I want. If more DPS or more status or more damage in the single bullet, etc... The problem here is that to have, what is for me, the best configuration for corpus I have to sacrifice the best configurations for grineer and infested. In the single configuration (A,B,C) it self there are already compromises. Is like having a duration loki (lets say in the A cfg) does not allow you to have in a DIFFERENT configuration (lets say B) a range loki. Right now I don't even have anough points to remove the riven, and put something else, not even a mod that requires 9 points. Switching between configurations (optimising) in not possible if you don't use formas all the times you want to change something on a weapon. I'm asking for weapons to perform equally well on different areas with different configurations and not being stuck with specific mods. And honestly I don't think that having a configuration that is good for a faction should exclude that weapon from being good for all the others 2.

You have utterly misread.

I told you that one weapon CANNOT be forma'd to have all the best mods to deal with faction A and then ALSO be able to have configurations to deal just so easily with factions B and C.

That is what I told you. 

If you want a gun to be able to make every Corpus enemy blink out of existence, you can't also then complain that that same gun can't be configured to do the same to Grineer, and then to Infested. Of course it bloody well can't, because you made your choice to sacrifice loadouts that can handle Grineer/Infested when you forma'd it to have the most optimal loadout to murder Corpus.

I haven't misunderstood anything.

You, though, misunderstood me entirely.

2 hours ago, DLz47 said:

Restraints such as mod slots and points forces you to be creative with your builds. With the addition of the new mods, people are now debating whether to use x mod or y mod. The issue that Warframe has today is that people will just normally stack as much damage as possible and not really care about the other stuff. What you are asking for is not really variety, but flexibility to mod against different factions, from what I'm seeing.

3 minutes ago, Yazeth said:

The issue that Warframe has today is that people will just normally stack as much damage as possible and not really care about the other stuff. 

Slightly off-topic but related to this: Warframe's issue is that it's stuck in an endless loop of power creep. Creative builds with synergy are worthless once you reach the level of scaling where enemies destroy you in two hits or less, turning it into a game of "blow them up before they blow you up." This in turn created the trend of stacking as much damage as possible because these are the only builds that, at that high scaling, let you live. Not by actually letting you live because of how they work either, but just because they murder threats first. 

In turn, DE then promote enemies to scale at insane levels because the playerbase is consistently building for high-damage quick-results.

Variety and creativity can't happen when the environment, at end-game endless at any rate, actively promotes the very opposite in order to achieve success. 

Which means, back on-topic a little more, modding for that ridiculous heavy damage against one specific faction and going so far as to forma specifically for it to get the biggest numbers naturally means you can't then use configuration B or C to achieve the same levels of damage against the remaining two factions. Personally, I feel that's the one saving grace of an otherwise terrible sort of system; if somebody wants to achieve the highest numbers against Faction A, they have to sacrifice the ability to configure that weapon to perform at that same level against factions B or C, meaning they need to either settle for sub-par damage or they need to consider different weapons to tackle them.

On 2/12/2016 at 6:37 PM, Arkvold said:

This is why the capacity system exists; specifically to exclude the best (and thus likely the most costly) combinations of mods from existing on the same weapon.  It's one of the game's few limitations upon power creep.  Sucks that you've hit the limit on a weapon, but that's just it - you've hit the weapon's limit, you're going to have to settle for second-best unless DE decides to extend that limit in some way,

If there's a flaw in DE's design here, it's that mod-slot polarity is not saved on a per-configuration basis, instead of the per-equipment basis that they use.  As a result, you cannot truly have "for Corpus", "for Grineer", and "for Infested" configurations on the same weapon unless they all use mods of the same polarity combination and have roughly the same total capacity cost.

This is a limitation you're just going to have to live with, unless you can convince DE to implement a system by which different configurations can have different polarities on forma'd mod slots.  Asking for additional capacity is more-or-less a complete non-starter.

That would be another solution, and by the way, asking for more point as I said, should a  temporary, until the change for the mandatory mods or something else, is here. Having the ability to change polarity on the slot you forma'ed or mod-slot polarity saved on a per-configuration basis, instead of the per-equipment basis that they use are other options. Having more points was just a suggestion for a temporay solution. I could be fine with this limitation of points if one of the other solutions would be possible.

On 2/12/2016 at 7:34 PM, Airyllish said:

You have utterly misread.

I told you that one weapon CANNOT be forma'd to have all the best mods to deal with faction A and then ALSO be able to have configurations to deal just so easily with factions B and C.

That is what I told you. 

If you want a gun to be able to make every Corpus enemy blink out of existence, you can't also then complain that that same gun can't be configured to do the same to Grineer, and then to Infested. Of course it bloody well can't, because you made your choice to sacrifice loadouts that can handle Grineer/Infested when you forma'd it to have the most optimal loadout to murder Corpus.

I haven't misunderstood anything.

You, though, misunderstood me entirely.

I didn't misunderstand you, in fact, I wrote: " And honestly I don't think that having a configuration that is good for a faction should exclude that weapon from being good for all the others 2." We just have different opinions.

Edited by DLz47

1 minute ago, DLz47 said:

I didn't misunderstand you, in fact, I wrote: " And honestly I don't think that having a configuration that is good for a faction should exclude that weapon from being good for all the others 2." We just have different opinions.

You certainly started off misunderstanding me, but regardless.

Differing opinions is one thing, but the problem is that you aren't making a particularly good justification on why your opinion should be implemented or even considered. On the flip side, I've told you that the problem with your opinion is what it would effectively destroy: the whole modding system.

You want to be able to configure your gun to do the best damage possible - and by best I mean literally using every maxed good mod you have that pumps the damage numbers to as high as that weapon can go - to every faction. You want to be able to do that with your mods without any consequences to your decisions. And I told you that if this was implemented then why bother with mods at all?

The mod system is there to force you to make choices and decisions. Live with them. If you want your gun to pull out the top-tier damage numbers on Corpus, live with your decision that it cannot and should not be able to do the same to the other factions. If it could, mods would be rendered useless. The choices you are currently forced to make would no longer exist, because you could just swap configurations and bam, there you go, now you can exterminate Infested with top-tier damage numbers with no consequences. Your suggestion actively destroys why the capacity system exists.

And you have failed to present a reasonable justification for why your suggestion should be taken seriously, nor have you presented a reasonable suggestion that keeps the functionality of the mod system in the first place if your idea was implemented. You want a system that lets you blow up everything without forcing you to make choices on which faction you blow up harder, faster. You just want everything dead. What would be the point in mods at all if that was something that you could do? Might as well just get rid of mods entirely and say "Once your gun gets to R30 it just deletes any enemy you point it at." 

On 2/12/2016 at 7:48 PM, Yazeth said:

Restraints such as mod slots and points forces you to be creative with your builds. With the addition of the new mods, people are now debating whether to use x mod or y mod. The issue that Warframe has today is that people will just normally stack as much damage as possible and not really care about the other stuff. What you are asking for is not really variety, but flexibility to mod against different factions, from what I'm seeing.

Flexibility would imply variety because if we had the chance to swap polarities on forma'ed slots we could actually test and discover various configurations and adapt in the best way possible. Right now we just go with the highest damage possible because if we customize the weapons for other stuff then we will be stuck with that specific configuration not being able to change it because of mismatching polarities. As I said there are actually really good mods that are not damage mods but most of us don't use those because we must have the highest damage possible all the time on to being able to fight against high level enemies.

Example: against medium level enemies, I would like to have a weapon that does not have the highest damage possible because is not needed, I would like to have more utilities mods but I can't have those because If i do that, when I will need highest damage possible, against really high level, I will be stuck because polarites aren't  matching.

On 2/12/2016 at 7:56 PM, Airyllish said:

Slightly off-topic but related to this: Warframe's issue is that it's stuck in an endless loop of power creep. Creative builds with synergy are worthless once you reach the level of scaling where enemies destroy you in two hits or less, turning it into a game of "blow them up before they blow you up." This in turn created the trend of stacking as much damage as possible because these are the only builds that, at that high scaling, let you live. Not by actually letting you live because of how they work either, but just because they murder threats first. 

In turn, DE then promote enemies to scale at insane levels because the playerbase is consistently building for high-damage quick-results.

Variety and creativity can't happen when the environment, at end-game endless at any rate, actively promotes the very opposite in order to achieve success. 

Which means, back on-topic a little more, modding for that ridiculous heavy damage against one specific faction and going so far as to forma specifically for it to get the biggest numbers naturally means you can't then use configuration B or C to achieve the same levels of damage against the remaining two factions. Personally, I feel that's the one saving grace of an otherwise terrible sort of system; if somebody wants to achieve the highest numbers against Faction A, they have to sacrifice the ability to configure that weapon to perform at that same level against factions B or C, meaning they need to either settle for sub-par damage or they need to consider different weapons to tackle them.

On 2/12/2016 at 8:09 PM, Airyllish said:

You certainly started off misunderstanding me, but regardless.

Differing opinions is one thing, but the problem is that you aren't making a particularly good justification on why your opinion should be implemented or even considered. On the flip side, I've told you that the problem with your opinion is what it would effectively destroy: the whole modding system.

You want to be able to configure your gun to do the best damage possible - and by best I mean literally using every maxed good mod you have that pumps the damage numbers to as high as that weapon can go - to every faction. You want to be able to do that with your mods without any consequences to your decisions. And I told you that if this was implemented then why bother with mods at all?

The mod system is there to force you to make choices and decisions. Live with them. If you want your gun to pull out the top-tier damage numbers on Corpus, live with your decision that it cannot and should not be able to do the same to the other factions. If it could, mods would be rendered useless. The choices you are currently forced to make would no longer exist, because you could just swap configurations and bam, there you go, now you can exterminate Infested with top-tier damage numbers with no consequences. Your suggestion actively destroys why the capacity system exists.

And you have failed to present a reasonable justification for why your suggestion should be taken seriously, nor have you presented a reasonable suggestion that keeps the functionality of the mod system in the first place if your idea was implemented. You want a system that lets you blow up everything without forcing you to make choices on which faction you blow up harder, faster. You just want everything dead. What would be the point in mods at all if that was something that you could do? Might as well just get rid of mods entirely and say "Once your gun gets to R30 it just deletes any enemy you point it at." 

You Answered yourself and at the same time you found the reason why I'm asking for more variety / flexibility so I did not fail. But anyway: as you said, DE promote enemies to scale at very high level (and they scale quite fast in some cases) if they do that why at the same time they should not allow me to have the best possible configuration for each faction ? The game is designed to fight against high level mobs otherwise the highest level would not be 9999 but 100 or anyway way lower than 9999. Fighting against high level mobs is the ONLY challenge we have in this game (except defeating RNG, but that's different). So, having best configurations excluding each other on the same weapon to me seems contradictory with the game design. Also, having a rank 30 weapon that just kills everything and still having slots limitation and capacity limitation are two different things. Never asked for a god mode. My opinion and suggestion wuld not destroy the mod system: the ability to swap polarities on forma'ed slots or, as someone else suggested, mod-slot polarity saved on a per-configuration basis, instead of the per-equipment basis, would just give us, as I already said in different posts here, the ability to actually have more creativity. If we all go for the highest damage is mostly because if we choose other mods, then to swap mods, we should use a forma and leveling again the weapon all the times we want a different polarity.

Edited by DLz47

6 hours ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

threadlink

Shameless selfpromotion is great! :v

If you'd rather keep the value of individual Forma but futureproof against any new mods and balance changes which might restrict you (or dissuade you from investing in the first place), then support my rework.

Polarise the items, don't polarise slots, letting you freely assign and reassign all the unlocked polarities in any combinations you want without ever limiting you down from the capabilities of whatever options you currently have.