Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looking for Leaks

[DE]Glen

We've spent hours and hours chasing a specific performance problem that some users are having; no matter what we try we can't make it happen which has made it impossible to diagnose.

The only common element seems to people with high-end Nvidia GPUs (1070's and 1080's) but we've tried with both of those cards and 980 Ti's too with no luck.

At this point we're running out of ideas and are turning to you guys. If you want to run the test:

1. Turn PhysX Effects On
  2. Turn Vsync Off
  3. Turn FPS display On
  4. Restart Warframe to start clean
  5. Look at the floor in that spot and mark down your Frame Time
  6. Set Mode to Solo, go to Mercury, Apollodorus
  7. Do a long run (ideally 30 or 40 minutes)
  8. Return to your ship, look at the same spot, and mark down Frame Time

If your frame time is significantly higher (5ms or more) then congratulations: You Have Reproduced the Bug!

To make it easier to hunt this down it would be great to get a few details with your report; if you run the test please respond to the thread (whether you get it or not so we can get a picture of how rare it is). It would be great if you could include:

1. GPU Model (Dual GTX 980 Ti)
  2. Operating System (Windows 7 64-Bit)
  3. Nvidia Driver Version (375.70)
  4. Frame Time Before (~2ms)
  5. Frame Time After (~2ms)
  6. Programs Running (Steam, GeForce Experience, Discord, OBS)

If you are one of the unlucky people that has the problem and you want to help us more then it would be great if you could rule out suspects: the first thing I would try is to turn PhysX Effects Off as (we've had one person report that this fixed it for them). I would also suggest turning off all other programs and leaving PhysX On (this is also reported to have worked which is strange).

Thank you for reaching out, I have this exact problem that seems to persist when more players join (70 fps average with auto vsync on, as more players join that jumps down to 60 then it just gets worse from there all the way down to 54). I'm running a GTX 970 on windows 10. I'll try to see if following those steps recreates the problem and post results.

One question before I give it a try (I got a 1060 and got to update the drivers too so I'd like to give it a run with both versions to see if there's any difference), what would be the effects of the frame time being bigger? In other words, besides the number increase are there other symptoms we could relate to this?

You might want to try Telos Boltace on infested heavy tile. I got preformance problem when all particles were on with telos boltace. Have a gtx970 win 7 64 bit usualy play with skype open and steam. Will do the frame test when i get home. It is just that telos boltace spin attack with infested might be a good stress test.

GTX 660 here. What happened to me is I had a 144hz monitor which died due to capacitors swelling. I switched to a cheap 60hz monitor and after a few sessions I noticed my frame rate dropped a ton. In a prior thread I mentioned this and provided logs. I tried everything I could, but nothing ended up working besides enabling vsync. Turns out with a 60hz monitor I could only achieve 60fps.  So a new monitor is on my Christmas list this year. :) 

It could be a refresh rate compatibility issue with their monitors and graphics cards.

To let you guys know, the problem happens when you went into mission too much, the fps getting higher and higher.

but it can be solved easily by using alt+tab out and back, it will reset to 60 fps. But the thing is, if you alt+tab too much it will says "insufficient video memory" then crashed.

my specs:

• Nvidia GT630
  • Windows 8 64-bit
  • Programs Running : Steam, cmd(googleping)

Hope that helps :)

I will post a link to my video record here later if I had time.

Edited by Gussygoose
adding specs

Jat Kittag Crushing Ruin Vulcan Blitz, 45 Minute Apollodorus Survival

1.  2 GeForce GTX 970 SLI

2.  Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit version, AMD FX 8320 Eight-Core

3.  Driver Version 376.19

4.  Frame Time Before: 3.3 ms

5.  Frame time After: 4.1 ms

6.  Programs Running: Steam, GeForce Experience, iTunes, Chrome

Edit:  I alt-tabbed (Dual monitor, Windowed Fullscreen) to write this, tried to tab back and my screen is frozen, audio still playing but can't register anything on screen or tab back to the game.  Never happened to me before.

Had to close program through task manager. I saved a copy of my EE file in another location if you want it.

Edited by Gelkor
Edit: Crashed.

gpu: GTX1060 6GB, cpu: i5-6600K@3.50Hz, monitor: 1080p@120Hz, ram: 16GB DDR3, 64-bit Windows 10 home.

With all settings maxed out apart from Blur Reflections, Ambient Occlusion, DoF, Motion Blur and Colour Correction.

Steam client with Steam and GeForce Experience overlays as well as quite a few programs running in the background (Spotify, Chrome, Discord and more).

The Initial Orbiter ground stare gave me 3.5 - 4ms.

During my 20:36 solo Appoloradus run I had 8 - 10ms.

Afterwards for the ground stare I still had 3.5 - 4ms.

Interestingly enough I have had a big spike (20 - 30ms) in my frame time before while I was hosting but I didn't pay much attention to it because I didn't know about this issue.

EDIT: The delay seems to increase when hosting.

Edited by tbeest

Overlays are one thing but, after I disabled 64 bit mode my framerate is back to gold 60 FPS with high settings on everything.
Meanwhile i get 35 FPS on 64 bit even if everything is low. So simple solution is just disabling 64 bit mode from launcher till our devs or support find what's wrong.
Cheers and I hope u make use of this ;)

Edit: Forgot to mention my specs

GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.60 GHz (3,5 GHz turbo)
16 GB RAM DDR4
Windows 10 64-bit

Edited by MKaiMana
adding specs

I know you guys have probably gone through this check anyway - but just in case.
Has anyone with this issue tried going into their Nvidia Control Panel --> Manage 3D Settings --> Global Settings and then taken a look at both the Power Management and Vertical Sync there?
Maybe try changing some of that, trial and error and see if anything changes (gets worse/better) in the game.
I have heard some cards are set to certain settings by default and it ends up being a thorn in your side.

Just an FYI:

Since it's Nvidia related I have the idea that the "Share" overlay has a very small chance to be causing the issue. I will be moving to a new house this weekend and can't test it right now (I have a 1080) but I could give it a shot next week.

Anyway here's why I think this is the cause: Ever since I updated Geforce Experience to version 3.X it has caused Tom Clancy's The Division to crash instantly whenever I switched my input from controller to keyboard (but never the first time I do so, only the second). I went through a lot of trouble with support and it turned out to be caused by the Share overlay. Not shadowplay, not recording, just the overlay itself being enabled.

I just have a feeling this Share overlay may be causing issues with Warframe too. I have not experienced the issue myself yet (haven't been playing much lately) so I don't know for sure. But it's a good starting point for anyone willing to test. To turn off the share overlay, go to GeForce Experience > Settings (gear on the top right) > General (menu on the left) > Share (you may have to scroll down). My Geforce experience is in Dutch so I apologize if any of the names are wrong.

Further relevant info I can think of: I run my games in borderless (Division and Warframe), I have 2 monitors, always run latest drivers and software and have all settings enabled except for color correction and motion blur. If you need any additional information then feel free to ask. I did not include my PC specs since I haven't run the test myself yet.

best of luck to you all!

Appears to be no issues during the test I did.

Before: 3ms

After 3.5ms

Windows 10 64bit, updated no longer than a month ago

EVGA GTX 1070 SC (Driver version 372.70)

Notable programs running were Steam, Google Chrome, Skype, and Voicemeeter Banana (a digital audio mixer)

Edited by Yolopanther

GTX 970 STRIX 4GB

AMD FX-8320E 3.20Ghz 8-core

24GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 10 64bit

Ran Apollodorus with a Saryn Prime for 30 minutes.

Started at 5.0ms

ended with 5.1ms

Not much of a difference, don't think I'm affected.

Steam overlay runs with WF.

Edited by Mr.Trill

Gave it a try, couldn't repro the bug.The only issue I've found was when I tried running without vsync, but with an FPS cap on, that caused some bad stutters.

- GTX 1070 (Asus Dual model, factory OC, post-BIOS update)

- Windows 10 64-bit, post-anniversary update

- 376.19 (12/05/2016)

- ~2.6ms both before and after

- Running Steam, Geforce Experience (with Share overlay), Skype, foobar2000, Discord

Issue replicated.

30 minute run; 1080p; borderless window.

1. GPU Model: Asus Strix 1080 OC in OC mode
  2. Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit
  3. Nvidia Driver Version: 376.19
  4. Frame Time Before: 3ms
  5. Frame Time After: 20ms
  6. Programs Running: Steam, GeForce Experience, Windows Resource Monitor, Asus GPU Tweak, Firefox, Thunderbird

I noticed my GPU usage decline over time during the run, by the end it was getting down towards 20%. GPU stayed boosted to around 2050MHz. CPU usage was around 30%, no cores maxed out.

I'll run some more tests & update.

1. GPU Model GTX 1080 Founders Edition
  2. Operating System (Windows 10 64-Bit)
  3. Nvidia Driver Version (376.19)
  4. Frame Time Before (~2.5ms)
  5. Frame Time After (~3ms)
  6. Programs Running (Steam, Skype, Curse Client)

40 minute run. Unable to replicate it.

Edited by Nate1387

3 minutes ago, Romiith said:
  1. GPU Model: Asus Strix 1080 OC in OC mode
  2. Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit
  3. Nvidia Driver Version: 376.19
  4. Frame Time Before: 3ms
  5. Frame Time After: 20ms
  6. Programs Running: Steam, GeForce Experience, Windows Resource Monitor, Asus GPU Tweak, Firefox, Thunderbird

AMAZING! I'm looking forward to what you find from killing programs -- there has to be something in common!

Hello, i've ran into this problem before, and successfully found the problem (and a solution for MY case).

In short, it's a Windows problem with AMD CPU system sleep state recovery within almost every version of Windows.

I'm busy at the moment. But I will update this post with a massive diagnostic log and some tests.

EDIT/Update: got laid off the day after posting this and competently forgot of its existence.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by YAWL

1 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
2. OS: Windows 10 64 bit
3. Driver: 376.19
4. Frame time before: ~7ms
5. Frame time after: ~16ms
6. Programs running: Steam, Google Chrome, Itunes, Discord, Uplay, Geforce Experience, Razer Synapse, Origin

4 minutes ago, YAWL said:

Hello, i've ran into this problem before, and successfully found the problem (and a solution for MY case).

In short, it's a Windows problem with AMD CPU system sleep state recovery within almost every version of Windows

No, that can't be what we're seeing here because at least 2 of the people experiencing it are using Intel CPUs.

So far, not counting the people at DE and elsewhere that tried before we made this thread, we have three people who ran the test and had the problem and 6 people that ran the test perfectly fine. 

I don't think it's a loadout issue because I cloned Neo_182's account and did tests with his exact gear on a 1070 (like him) on the same driver version. There has to be something else running that's doing this.