Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looking for Leaks

[DE]Glen

1. Wouldn't the screen resolution have something to do with it too? If you have a low-res screen you're less likely to see the bug because you don't use as many resources? You might want to have people post their screen resolution too.

2. The manufacturers of nvidia cards apply a factory overclock to their cards. There's a little trick to disable that temporarily via the nvidia control panel. Enable: Help > Debug Mode. I've found that factory overclocked cards sometimes run into strange trouble like this (most cards are factory overclocked unless you have a founders edition). You might the debug mode to see if it helps.

Edited by mrecentric

43 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

AMAZING! I'm looking forward to what you find from killing programs -- there has to be something in common!

Just ran it again with physx off and everything was fine, for a given value of fine. Frame rate was steady during the mission. The initial test frame time was 2.7-3ms, after i returned it was 3-3.5ms.

CPU usage in the mission was higher (35-40%) and core0 was up around ~90%, which I'm putting down to the higher physics load. CPU: 4790k

Edited by Romiith

3 minutes ago, Romiith said:

Just ran it again with physx off and everything was fine, for a given value of fine. Frame rate was steady during the mission. The initial test frame time was 2.7-3ms, after i returned it was 3-3.5ms.

CPU usage in the mission was higher (35-40%) and core0 was up around ~90%, which I'm putting down to the higher physics load. CPU: 4790k

Fascinating! Would you be willing to do one more test: PhysX Effects On but quit GeForce Experience?

Unable to reproduce the issue. Specs and stats as follows:

1. GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Armor 2x (No-OC) 6 GB
  2. OS: Windows 10 64-bit Version 1607 Build 14393.479 (last updated 12/8/2016)
  3. NVIDIA Driver Version: 375.70
  4. Frame Time Before: 4.2-5.2 ms
  5. Frame Time After: 4.2-5.2 ms
  6. Programs Running:
    • Steam (with overlay) [Build: Oct 12 2016, at 17:52:48]
    • HWiNFO64 [5.32-2900]
    • Voicemeeter Banana [2.0.3.0]
    • MSI Afterburner [4.3.0 Beta 14]
    • Rainmeter [4.0.0 beta r2613 64-bit]
    • GeForce Experience (Share/Shadowplay disabled) [3.1.2.31]
  7. Additional Notes:
    • CPU: Intel i7-4770k OC @ 4.5 Ghz
    • RAM: 16 GB (2x8) DDR3-1600
    • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
    • Warframe is installed on the same SSD as the OS, as well as Steam.
    • I've noticed that there is some frame rate degradation (and increase in RAM value in the Show FPS bar) in particular rooms in the Grineer Galleon tileset if you keep traversing the map, but other times, if you haven't "fully" explored the map, the same rooms do not cause issues. Unsure if this is related though.

Test 1:

1. GPU Model (MSI 970 Golden Edition)
  2. Operating System (Windows 10 64-Bit)
  3. Nvidia Driver Version (376.19)
  4. Frame Time Before (4.2ms)
  5. Frame Time After (12.4ms)
  6. Programs Running (Steam, GeForce Experience, Discord, Avast, Foobar2000, 7 Chrome Tabs, MSI Afterburner)
  7. I had Shadow Stalker spawn at the 13:00 mark or so.

Test 2:

1. GPU Model (MSI 1080 Gaming )
  4. Frame Time Before (4.0ms)
  5. Frame Time After (9.7ms)
  6. Programs Running (Steam, GeForce Experience, Discord, Avast, Foobar2000, 7 Chrome Tabs, MSI Afterburner)

Full system specs:

i7 6700k (4.6)ghz
8x2 2133mhz DDR4
Warframe is installed on a Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
1920x1080 144hz

Something seems to be happening here, at least for me. Doesn't seem limited to the 1000 series or 980ti either.

Another thing to note, I do have frametimes of 20-30ms in places like Akkad Eris with other players.

Edited by Umbro_Excalibruh

Ran Apollodorus for about 35 minutes, but I couldn't get it recreated:

System: 2x 980TI running WF at 3440x1440

Nvidia driver version: 372.90

Frame Time Before & After: ~8.6ms

Programs Running:

• Steam
  • Corsair Link (CPU cooler app)
  • Plantronics Gamescom 780 (Headset software)
  • Avast AV
  • Display Fusion

I'll run it again with the latest drivers here in a bit.

Did a clean uninstall of the previous drivers, and have 376.19 installed fresh.

Test 2:

No changes with driver version. Still getting ~8.5ms after 30 minutes.

Edited by FaalKorum

1. GPU Model: GTX 970 (from ZOTAC)
  2. Operating System : Windows 10 Pro
  3. Nvidia Driver Version: 376.19
  4. Frame Time Before: ~3ms
  5. Frame Time After: ~7ms
  6. Programs Running: steam, geforce experience, discord, chrome, shareX, ccleaner, logitech gaming software, corsair utility engine, Windows Defender

note: cpu is I5 4460, motherboard is Asus B85 Pro Gamer, 8GB RAM, game runs constantly at over 200 fps

Couldn't reproduce. Maybe a bit overkill on the info hence the spoiler tags.

tl;dr: 980, i7, W10 64, 375.70, before and after ~6ms

Spoiler

Apollodorus 60 minutes

Frametime:
 Before: 5.9-6.0 ms
 In mission: ~7.0-11.0 ms
 After: 6.1-6.2 ms

Loadout
 Mesa
 Dera Vandal (Corrosive/Heat)
 AkMagnus (Toxin)
 Venka Prime (Corrosive - or Viral, can't remember)
 Carrier Prime (no weapon)

Mission Details
 Used:
    All weapons
    All warframe powers
    Ground slam/channeling (for particles)
    Focus power
    Energy restores

Looted:
    Vacuumable pickups
    Chests/lockers/resource nodes
    Convergence

Stats:
    1774 Total kills (169 head, 184 melee)
    37 Upgrades
    132 Abilities
    1872 Pickups
    2 Alt+Tab while paused (esc menu)

Related PC Specs
 24" IPS 1920x1200 @ 60
 GTX 980 4GB @ 1190? (stock speed)
 i7 4770 @ 3.4
 8GB DDR3 @ 1866
 375.70 drivers
 3.1.2.31 GeForce Experience
 Windows 10 64bit on boot SSD
 Warframe on storage SSD
 Steam on storage HDD

Non-default Global 3D Settings
 Anisotropic Filtering 16x
 DSR 2.00x
 Smoothing 20%
 MFAA enabled

Ingame Graphical Settings
 Display Mode - Fullscreen
 Resolution - 2715x1697 (DSR 2.00x)
 Refresh Rate - 59.95 Hz
 Aspect Ratio - Auto
 Vsync - Off (normally off)
 Max Framerate - Unlimited (normally 120)
 PhysX - Enabled
 Tessellation - Enabled
 Local Reflec. - Enabled
 Blur Reflec. - Enabled
 Volum. Light. - Enabled
 HDR - Enabled
 Adapt. Expo. - Enabled
 Glare - Enabled
 Ambi. Occl. - Enabled
 High Shader Q. - Enabled
 Geometry - High
 Particles - High
 Shadows - High
 Textures - High
 Anisotropic - Off
 Trilinear - On
 AA - SMAA(Medium)
 DoF - Disabled
 Motion Blur - Disabled
 Bloom - Enabled
 Intensity - ~1/5
 Color Correc. - Disabled
 Dyn. Lighting - Enabled
 Char. Shadows - Enabled
 Weapon Trails - Disabled
 Elemental FX - Disabled

Launcher Settings
 All enabled
 Verified/Optimized after 19.1.0 or something

Running programs
 Steam, overlay + FPS counter
 Discord, no overlay
 Shadowplay, overlay, not recording
 Firefox, 5 tabs, one being a music stream (HTML5)
 Chrome, 2 tabs
 Logitech Gaming Software, mouse, Warframe key bindings
 Corsair keyboard software, Shadowplay key bindings
 DisplayFusion, 300+ wallpapers on random shuffle

Other
 I don't know if this is related or not, but everytime I load into the orbiter my framerate drops to about 3 FPS for a few seconds.
 It happens even after a fresh launch/login. I also get a few small hitches when moving from the front of the orbiter to the
 arsenal station for the first time after loading in. I do have quite a few decorations in the transference room though.

I also tried to record something in Warframe this week and the Shadowplay overlay was bugging out a bit. It was very unresponsive at times.
 This one might be related.

1 hour ago, [DE]Glen said:

Fascinating! Would you be willing to do one more test: PhysX Effects On but quit GeForce Experience?

with physx ON and all nvidia services OFF: Before: 2.7-3ms  After:3-3.1ms

There was no sign of the degradation over time I experienced in my first test. Peak FPS was up and GPU Boost was rock steady; didn't fluctuate at all the entire run. GPU usage did not decline over time. CPU usage about 30%.

Edited by Romiith

Did my test:

GPU: Gigabyte 1060 Gaming G1 (Overclocked via MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner turned completely off)

Drivers: 376.09

Processor i5-3570K @4.0 GHz

RAM: 24 GB (2x4, 2x8)

60 Hz monitor using HDMI

Nvidia CP Settings for Warframe (both 32 and 64 bit):

• Energy control: Maximum Performance
  • Multi-threading: On

Warframe launcher settings:

• Everything on except Full Screen and DX10 (DX11 is enabled though. Just saying because I know some people may have both checked)

In game:

• Borderless Fullscreen
  • Antialiasing at SMAA+Temporal
  • Everything else on/max EXCEPT Color Correction, Constant Weapon Trail and showing the Elemental VFX

Other programs running: Discord, Windows Defender, MSI Afterburner and anything W10 may have on by OS design. I DO NOT have GFE 3.0 installed currently.

After 40 minutes of Saturn Survival with Nekros Prime, nothing too severe, at most 1.2 more ms when back at the Liset.

A couple of thoughts:

• Borderless should force V Sync so I'm not sure how this would affect the test.
  • GFE 3.0 is suspicious to me...

So, story time: I've been having for the past couple of months some weird issue where once a week my PC would randomly crash and restart saying there was no bootable device until I actually urned it off and on again. This was going on until last week, was really afraid of a dying HDD even though some programs were telling me everything was supposed to be fine.

Then I realized, that I had used DDU to update my drivers, but forgot to install GFE back on. And I haven't crashed ever since.

I'm still trying to figure out how that'd be possible, but... I can't really think of anything else right now.

Edited by NightmareT12
Forgot the drivers kek

48 minutes ago, Umbro_Excalibruh said:

Test 1:

1. GPU Model (MSI 970 Golden Edition)
  4. Frame Time Before (4.2ms)
  5. Frame Time After (12.4ms)
  7. I had Shadow Stalker spawn at the 13:00 mark or so.

This is really interesting! This is the first 9xx series card I've seen evidence of a problem with -- if you're up for it would you mind trying again? In theory each mission should get worse and worse when you're back at the ship looking at the floor. Alternatively you could try disabling PhysX effects to see if that fixes it for you like it did for others.

12 minutes ago, Romiith said:

with physx ON and all nvidia services OFF: Before: 2.7-3ms  After:3-31ms

There was no sign of the degradation over time I experienced in my first test. Peak FPS was up and GPU Boost was rock steady; didn't fluctuate at all the entire run. GPU usage did not decline over time. CPU usage about 30%.

Fascinating! So it was fine in the mission but it somehow picked up something slow back at the ship. This is most interesting!

1 minute ago, Romiith said:

Not so fast, that's me being a moron and mistyping 3.1ms. Sorry.

Ok - that's good to know. So far then we have "Everyone is on Win10" (but me) and only one person with 900-series card can do it. I really don't want to upgrade and waste a day re-installing all my stuff but...

First, my set up. 3 monitors, one window with chrome open(multiple tabs), youtube up but no videos playing, discord. One with warframe is a 27 1080p borderless window(Although I had fps issues in fullscreen as well)144hz screen.

GPU: MSI 1070 8GB Current driver 376.09

CPU i54690k OC to 4.5GHZ

RAM 16 GB

OS Windows 10 64 bit

35 minute run

Pre test- 12ms (assuming because of 3 monitor set up)

Post test - 22ms

During peaked at 33ms.

One fun issue I've been having is the screen freezing ~30 seconds into a mission, but hearing the game continue on in the background. Not sure if related. I can still use other screens normally, have to alt-f4 out of warframe. Happens normally twice before working fine. As well, if I alt-tab multiple times during a mission, fps drops down to ~24-30 until restarting warframe. Can't remember the ms

Edit: Since typing this, I went up to 27ms in my ship.

Edited by Handles
Updated info

8 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

Ok - that's good to know. So far then we have "Everyone is on Win10" (but me) and only one person with 900-series card can do it. I really don't want to upgrade and waste a day re-installing all my stuff but...

Wouldn't you happen to have a spare HDD lying at the office? Maybe the W7/8/8.1 activation key trick still works. (It's supposed to work like that because of Microsoft actually allowing it post release, not like it's illegal or something :P)

Edited by NightmareT12

Just now, NightmareT12 said:

Wouldn't you happen to have a spare HDD lying at the office? Maybe the W7/8/8.1 activation key trick still works.

Well I'd want my full dev environment to diagnose things plus there are some Win10 optimizations I've been meaning to try; was hoping to just get a new craptop and do them there though.

GPU Model: Asus Strix GTX1070 OC Edition

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607, Build 14393.479)

Nvidia Driver Version: 376.19

Frame Time Before: ~2.4ms

Frame Time After: ~2.4ms

Programs Running: Steam, GeForce Experience 3.0, Discord, Task Manager, Chrome

Side note: I am watching a video on a second monitor on Chrome too

Edited by ArcaneOrbit

1. GTX 1080
  2. Operating System (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit)
  3. Nvidia Driver Version 376.19
  4. Frame Time Before (~2ms)
  5. Frame Time After (~7ms)
  6. Programs Running (Steam, GeForce Experience 3.0, Discord, Battle.net, Uplay, Origin, Rainmeter, Logitech Gaming Software, Razer Synapse, ShareX)

i7 6700k
Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080
16 GB Corsair Dominator
installed on 7200rpm WD Black HDD

Edited by Dallagen

I haven't been experiencing issues(i dont have a 1000 series GPU), but what the hey data is data...

Ran a test on my end; 30 mins on Apollodorus: 

GPU1: GTX 970
GPU2: GTX 660 [Dedicated Physx]
Driver: 376.09
Frame Time Before: ~6ms
Frame Time After: ~6ms
Programs running: HWinfo / Fraps / Steam / Eset / Plex / Shadowplay

Previously have done really long stints on Hieracon, then jumped into sorties, and performance has not degraded over time. 

Point that may be of interest, GTX 660, not a particularly powerful card, but PhysX in Warframe does hit it all the way up to 80% - Which is an oddity for physX games on my system which will normally hit it anywhere around 30%.

EDIT:
Moving PhysX back onto my main card didn't appear to have any noticeable difference, a few hiccups, but it otherwise ran fine - ~6ms before and after (though admittedly a shorter 10 min run).

Edited by MillbrookWest