[DE]Glen

Looking for Leaks

Well I can say this much: I have a "high-end card" and don't experience this problem. So maybe it isn't related to card.

I'm using a GTX Titan X Hyrdo, 12 GB GDDR5

GTX 1080
Windows 10 64 Bit
i5 3570k
16GB DDR3
Geforce Experience version: 3.1.2.31
Driver version: 376.91

Did 2400 cryotic run on hieracon and fps eventually stayed around 30 with drops to low 20's.

I then restarted the game, turned off nvidia share and did a run with the exact same group on hieracon to 3200 cryotic and stayed at a constant 60 fps (yes I forgot to turn vsync off, sorry.)

But considering turning off share negated the issue (so far) it gives hope we can fix it or at least notify nvidia.

Share sure has been causing a lot of issues lately, first the division and now warframe too? I hope they fix it soon. FYI this seemed to have started with Geforce experience 3.0 and up.

Hope this info helped a bit. I didn't pay much attention to the frame times but in the liset they ended up at around 22-24 from the usual 16-17 (with vsync on).

Also Physx was ON in both cases.

Edited by zY_Spartan_Yz
spelling

5 hours ago, Helch0rn said:

can you provide the command line for the proc dump?

to use Procdump, you will need 'cd' (Change Directory) to the location where you have Procdump located while in Cmd.

alternatively if you put it in System32, that's where Cmd defaults so you won't have to change your active directory.
then you just need to call the application and what to target, which is as simple as 'Procdump Warframe'.

1. GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 ti SC

2. OS: Windows 10 64 bit

3. Driver: 376.19

4. Frame time before: 14.5ms

5. Frame time after: ~30ms

6: Background programs: steam, discord, razer synapse, geforce experience, evaga torq x10 gaming mouse program, msi afterburner, sentey  symph gaming headset program.

I'm not sure if my data is pertinent since I have a 1050, but I figured it'd still apply since I can normally run the game above 100fps with everything on, but then got this bug today which cut my fps to about 40 as well as the frame time increase. Also, it wasn't infested missions that triggered it, it was a relic mission on Earth against Grineer.

Edit: Also, I have the nvidia overlay and a discord overlay on WF, which I didn't enable the Nvidia overlay till last night and wasn't experiencing this issue until today, interestingly.

Edit 2: Happened again. Different tileset and mission. Still Grineer, but this time it was on the ship tile. It's making my fps and frame time increase a ton. Tried disabling Nvidia overlay and it still remained the same.

Edited by hangman401
  • Upvote 1

1. GPU Model - NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M
  2. Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
  3. Nvidia Driver Version - 364.72
  4. Frame Time Before - ~17ms
  5. Frame Time After - ~17ms
  6. Programs Running - Steam + Overlay w/ 1 Tab open in in-game Browser, Hamachi

Guess I didn't replicate it. Maybe I haven't upgraded my GFX Driver for a while now?

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2016 at 6:51 AM, Neo_182 said:

@[DE]Glen Can we get confirmation what the issue above with Neo is what we're looking for? 

Just a passing observation; a lot of people with issues seem to be running GTX 1000 series GPU's in tandem with skylake CPU's, where others with GTX 1000 gpu's are paring them with Haswell CPU's. Don't know if there is a correlation, but in Neo's case above, i'm not aware of there being much, or any, PhysX particles on Jupiter (but im likely wrong). It may help narrow down what to look for. It's seemingly hit or miss atm, even for 1000 series owners.

Additionally, is it specific to Nekros? I see a lot of people running nekros, but i don't know if this is just because the video in the op also had a nekros and people are merely trying to replicate like for like.

59 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

@[DE]Glen Can we get confirmation what the issue above with Neo is what we're looking for? 

Just a passing observation; a lot of people with issues seem to be running GTX 1000 series GPU's in tandem with skylake CPU's, where others with GTX 1000 gpu's are paring them with Haswell CPU's. Don't know if there is a correlation, but in Neo's case above, i'm not aware of there being much, or any, PhysX particles on Jupiter (but im likely wrong). It may help narrow down what to look for. It's seemingly hit or miss atm, even for 1000 series owners.

Additionally, is it specific to Nekros? I see a lot of people running nekros, but i don't know if this is just because the video in the op also had a nekros and people are merely trying to replicate like for like.

900 series cards also have seen this issue so it is also related to them, I have seen skylakes with the issue and not, same goes for the haswells.
Its more like a fluke and not sometimes its hard to say for glen at least what it is even at this point I think.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

4 hours ago, MillbrookWest said:

That was just my loadout from initial testing early on -- I upped this session to youtube because it was most noticeable near the end.
Vauban and Jat Kit-tag work fantastic. 

I don't speak for DE, but i have heard many users complaining of performance issues with 1000 series card.
I needed neural sensors and decided to do the testing there and try narrowing what the problem may be by eliminating overlays and programs as i continued thru the week.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

If you aren't 100% certain, infested 'bleed' physX when you kill them.
Vauban bastille and vortex both utilize PhysX as well as Jat Kit tag when you ground slam.
Apollodorus is suggested since it's easy but if you feel up to the task you can just as well try ODS. 

Solo of course.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MillbrookWest said:

TLDR: You're looking for performance degradation that remains AFTER you return to your liset.
Pick a spot on your ship look at the floor. 
Play a session.
If it starts being noticeably slower, extract.
Go back to that spot on your ship and look at the floor again.
If the crappy performance lingers while you are staring at the floor, congrats you've done it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Neo_182 said:

I needed neural sensors and decided to do the testing there and try narrowing what the problem may be by eliminating overlays and programs as i continued thru the week.

What was the trigger on the Corpus Jupiter tileset though? I know Infested use PhysX in abundance, i'm not too sure what Corpus unit uses any PhysX. Or indeed, if physX is even used at all. It obfuscates the matter a bit if we're looking for problems with physX but the problem lies elsewhere. Unless the video was highlighting an overlay being the problem?

I can't really say too much about the issue. I apparently don't suffer from it, and can only go off of what people are describing and what's been posted in videos.

For example, in your video, up until ~39 mins, you are rocking 130-140fps, however, after a certain SotD summon (not spawn) around 39:15 your framerate tanks to 120-130 almost immediately, and never comes about recovering. Watching at half speed, there is seemingly no evidence of any physx particles.

Just looking for a bit of clarification. 

18 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

What was the trigger on the Corpus Jupiter tileset though? I know Infested use PhysX in abundance, i'm not too sure what Corpus unit uses any PhysX. Or indeed, if physX is even used at all. It obfuscates the matter a bit if we're looking for problems with physX but the problem lies elsewhere. Unless the video was highlighting an overlay being the problem?

I can't really say too much about the issue. I apparently don't suffer from it, and can only go off of what people are describing and what's been posted in videos.

For example, in your video, up until ~39 mins, you are rocking 130-140fps, however, after a certain SotD summon (not spawn) around 39:15 your framerate tanks to 120-130 almost immediately, and never comes about recovering. Watching at half speed, there is seemingly no evidence of any physx particles.

Just looking for a bit of clarification. 

It was my second test with everything turned on (GFE + Overlay) 
Glen duplicated my account and ran several tests on his end even took out one of his 1070's to try and replicate to no avail.

The only differences were that he doesn't / hasn't installed GFE.

I couldn't tell you what the cause was for the degradation there, i'm not a dev. 

If you're looking to help then stick to what Glen asks in OP video. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

They're definitely rare on Jupiter with Nekros but there are a few -- some of the Moas' sparks are. When re-running with more PhysX-FX heavy scenes (Infested vs Vauban) Neo was able to repro much more quickly.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

They're definitely rare on Jupiter with Nekros but there are a few -- some of the Moas' sparks are. When re-running with more PhysX-FX heavy scenes (Infested vs Vauban) Neo was able to repro much more quickly.

Awesome, will try running missions with a Vauban to see if non-1000 series GPU's are in anyway affected, or if anything come to light that may be relevant. @TheRoaringLionsays he's seen it with 970's, hopefully can cause an effect on my end. 

not exactly the GPU you asked for, but on a few occasions vs infested and on 1 occasion against corpus while i was using mag I had huge performance drops on a GT940m

dropped from 70 - 80fps to 15 - 18fps this happened when I had used mag's second ability on a group of chargers and a frost used snow globe at the same time this stayed until

when i returned to the liset however. I had lower frame rates from what i normally had when standing near the nav panel.

the problem fixed it self when i restarted the game though.

not sure if i completely missed the point of this thread though.

specs: GT940M 2gb

windows 10 64bit (updated with all MS updates to date)

background programs: steam, origin, nvidia geforce experience, intel rapid storage, SCM( quick launch functions)

driver ver: 376.19 (started on previous version 369.)

I also have every set to max setting and most options like physX on 

I don't have this recorded though :/

@Romiith was kind enough to send me a series of dumps from his testing but sadly they didn't turn up a smoking gun.

If you are one of the unlucky few that can reproduce it maybe peek at NVSMI and see what else is running maybe there's a clue in the process list there?

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI>nvidia-smi.exe

Mon Dec 12 11:19:03 2016
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 375.70                 Driver Version: 375.70                    |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name            TCC/WDDM | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 980 Ti WDDM  | 0000:01:00.0      On |                  N/A |
|  0%   44C    P8    25W / 275W |    382MiB /  6144MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
|   1  GeForce GTX 980 Ti WDDM  | 0000:02:00.0     Off |                  N/A |
|  0%   44C    P8    23W / 275W |     96MiB /  6144MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID  Type  Process name                               Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0      3952  C+G   C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe                  N/A      |
|    0      6340  C+G   ...Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe N/A      |
|    0      7164  C+G   ...x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe N/A      |

Sorry for mangled formatting -- preformatted text isn't supported in this forum software yet.

There's a known issue with recent Nvidia cards, where pressing Ctrl+1/2/3 will reduce frame rates while Shadowplay is enabled, unless you completely remove and reinstall GeForce Experience.

Normally I'm good with glitches and other related shenanigans, but this one is throwing me for a loop.  Nvidia 860 here.

I ran the test Saturday afternoon and could not reproduce the bug, then I tried it again by launching Warframe from Steam and DID reproduce the bug.

Thinking that this was weird but could be a possible cause, I tried again three hours later (again from Steam).  Could not reproduce the bug.  Launched without Steam.  Reproduced the bug.

Understandably confused, I tried again last night after doing a raid (it was normal LoR if that somehow makes a shred of difference) from a non-steam launch.  Reproduced the bug, and my frame time was 10ms higher than the last two times I had reproduced the bug.

Each time I ran this test, the only other programs I had open were 8 chrome tabs and MS Excel (it was a decently large spreadsheet full of Warframe-related data, so I thought it would be appropriate to leave it open).

According to a constantly-running subroutine I have up that takes a consistent 1.3% of my computer's processing power, my CPU usage spiked from 33% to 81% for approximately two uninterrupted seconds that roughly corresponded to the post-mission loading screen after finishing Apollodorus.

No idea if any of this nonsense will help, since it's confusing me to no end, but hey, data data data.

• Upvote 1

trying to reproduce it even though I'm not affected. I've got a GTX 1080 and a GTX 970m to test with.

Note to all those who are effected. Just a question, but are you experiencing any oddities with performance in any of your other games? Similar drops in performance over time? Or is it just warframe.

7 minutes ago, OfficerBeepsky said:

trying to reproduce it even though I'm not affected. I've got a GTX 1080 and a GTX 970m to test with.

Note to all those who are effected. Just a question, but are you experiencing any oddities with performance in any of your other games? Similar drops in performance over time? Or is it just warframe.

I do. whenever Share is enabled (Geforce experience 3.0 or higher) Tom Calncy's Division will crash due to input switching (pressing a controller button and then keyboard) and from my test so far it also causes the current issue with warframe. (for me at least) I ran 2 hieracon runs, first 2400 cryotic with share on and it slowed down to 24-30 fps while the second game (3200 crytic, share disabled) was a stable 60 fps with the exact same groups (2 vauban, 2 frost).

I haven't been able to do any more tests since they take up lots of time but I suggest you try doing them with share on/off. It may not be a 100% reproducable bug from what I read but it has given me some hope at finding it.

I'm keeping my share on for now to see if it happens again though I will most likely not be doing long runs again. By the way, yes the fps stayed low in the liset too.

All this on latest drivers and software with a 1080 (see my previous post for exact specs)

On 10.12.2016 at 11:31 PM, Lerzu said:
Spoiler

1. GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
  2. OS: Windows 10 64-Bit
  3. Nvidia Driver Version (376.09)
  4. FT Before: ~4ms
  5. FT After about 20 minutes of sitting: ~21ms and still rising
  6. Programs Running: Steam, GOG Galaxy, GeForce Experience, Firefox, Waterfox, MSI Afterburner

After countless unsuccessful tries, I decided to install GFE and use the same settings as shown in those screenshots and the bug finally happened. With Instant Replay on, my performance keeps getting worse even while sitting at the starting point, looking at the floor. After walking around the Orbiter and being amazed by how much my framerate stutters, I noticed that scenes where the GPU video engine had to work harder to encode the video, the lower my GPU power dropped. Then turning to look at something that's easy to encode made the power rise again, but it never went back to full power. Even after turning off the background recording it still keeps getting worse, though maybe not as fast. Starting the game with Instant Replay already off keeps everything working perfectly so the overlay from GFE shouldn't cause any issues.

The weird part is that this has happened to me before without GFE. I often have a video playing on the second screen and that uses the GPU video engine so maybe hardware accelerated videos are at fault? I'll look at some 4k and 8k videos to see what happens.

Welp, nothing happened with those videos.

A small update to that. I got the latest driver (376.19) and Win10 also decided to update right after and I haven't been able to reproduce the bug since, no matter how much extra I try to throw at my GPU. But since 1050 Ti is a low-mid tier card it might not be possible to get the bug, the one with GFE recording in the background causing GPU to lose power probably had nothing to do with Warframe and was fixed with 376.19... or the Win10 update fixed something relating to power management.

Edited by Lerzu

I find it curious that Windows Update fixed it for Lerzu and that Neo_182 is having problems reproducing it now. Maybe the rest of you that are having problems can run Windows Update manually and see what happens?

6 hours ago, Lerzu said:

A small update to that. I got the latest driver (376.19) and Win10 also decided to update right after and I haven't been able to reproduce the bug since, no matter how much extra I try to throw at my GPU. But since 1050 Ti is a low-mid tier card it might not be possible to get the bug, the one with GFE recording in the background causing GPU to lose power probably had nothing to do with Warframe and was fixed with 376.19... or the Win10 update fixed something relating to power management.

Well it's not background recording. It's the Share overlay (which includes the recording feature) that is causing it for me. Turning share off completely fixed it for me (so far, haven't played a lot since then yet). I did get the issue on driver 376.19 but windows 10 has not attempted to update yet for me. I'll keep playing with share enabled after the update happens and hope it will be fixed that way.

So is this problem mysteriously going away? Windows Update FTW?

Neo_182 can't reproduce it any more and I can't investigate further without assistance.

Perhaps everyone should run a System File Checker:

Open an Admin rights Command Prompt or PowerShell and run: sfc /scannow. If there are errors that can't be repaired run:  dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and verify again with sfc /scannow.

...Win update might also have removed some form of malicious software.

Edited by cx-dave