Forum ''leaderboards'' are only going to exacerbate an already prevalent issue.

DeMonkey

rnuW0II.png

Won the day? ''Won''.

1) This is a public forum, used for feedback and discussion. You cannot win. There is nothing to win.

2) By adding in this leaderboard you have turned the forums into a competition. One without strictly adhered to rules. In order to ''win'' you need to post whatever will get you the most upvotes, which is generally memes, vitriolic comments and taking someone's words out of context.

This is already prevalent on the forums, people posting something inflammatory or patronising or whatever in the first few comments for a laugh and upvotes. Why would you encourage this behaviour? 

3) It adds nothing to the forums, not only do I think that it will exacerbate the bad, but I don't think it will encourage the good. People aren't going to suddenly start having better ideas because they think they'll get more recognition for them. Bad ideas will remain bad ideas regardless of whether they ''win'' the day with the idea or not.

I'd like to give you something constructive DE, something you can use to build upon whatever idea you had when implementing this. But I can't unfortunately, I can't think of any way of making this into a good system. Hell, I can't think of a reason as to why this needed to be implemented in the first place.

Short thread, I know, but I can't think of much more that really needs to be said. If anyone has an idea as to why this may be a good system or any other thoughts on the matter then please share.

Edited by DeMonkey

Any system making someone special for unnecessary  reasons will backfire in some way. The forums are a place for discussion and the main goal of is to  discuss the game. If you were to implement something that would make someone more special just because he posted the most, got the most upvotes, etc, it could potentially  lead to someone who has less or don't have the same status to be view as less correct.

TL:DR

It's going to make a few individual feel like they are correct and more important than other players who didn't attain this sort of leaderboard reward. I don't want someone's post to be more valued than another just because they  attained some sort of status that doesn't really have value to it. 

You won the day! It's yours! The whole day!*

*Day may not be exchanged for equivalent plat. Holidays will be substituted with regular days. Multiple days cannot be used at once. Days will expire after one year. Using a day to exploit timed event will result in a ban until 2035.

I've gotten quite a few updanks for (what I'd like to think are) my most insightful, thoughtful posts—but my most-updanked posts are all jokes and puns. If you manage to snipe your pun into the second post of a thread, that's a 3-4x updank multiplier! First page, about 1.5-2x.

I agree with OP. This is an extremely silly idea that will only encourage bad behavior that adds nothing of value whatsoever to the forums or the game.

24 minutes ago, notlamprey said:

What purpose does this serve?

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

As I was typing this I was wondering if I was missing something obvious, something that meant this system was helpful or relevant. 

Based on the comments so far.... There's nothing.

1 minute ago, Egg_Chen said:

Here have my upvote... oh wait!

Seriously though, agreed. What next, special cosmetics for "winning" a day? Forget I even said that.

Wait wait wait.

Now I'm totally on board.

DE, where's my ''winner'' syandana? It's been over a month. 

Seriously though, you don't even get anything for ''winning''. This whole thing just seems completely and utterly pointless, am I supposed to pat myself on the back after all this?

arguing%2Bon%2Bthe%2Binternet%2Byeah,%2Bit's%2Bpretty%2Bmuch%2Blike%2Bthis.jpg

Hurray me?

48 minutes ago, Kastorius said:

I've gotten quite a few updanks for (what I'd like to think are) my most insightful, thoughtful posts—but my most-updanked posts are all jokes and puns. If you manage to snipe your pun into the second post of a thread, that's a 3-4x updank multiplier! First page, about 1.5-2x.

I agree with OP. This is an extremely silly idea that will only encourage bad behavior that adds nothing of value whatsoever to the forums or the game.

Can confirm from experience.  Hek, your comment doesn't even have to be on topic and it still gets up votes.

I have at least two honest questions here.

1How long will it take before folks begin trying in earnest to 'game' this system?   (rendering it demonstrably meaningless)

2Does DE have any sort of plan or policy in place to handle this when it happens?    (because it will happen)