Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forum ''leaderboards'' are only going to exacerbate an already prevalent issue.

DeMonkey

OK I've given it some thought.

Given that the main purpose of a forum is to provide feedback, the top liked "should" be an opinion/ idea / contribution that resonates with the community. This information could then be relayed directly to the developers.

However,  the forum's topic are just too vast, and people can upvote the strangest of things.

Not to mention it's less helpful compare to system we already have: the top contributor flag.

Maybe this is a bit crude in words, but this winner system feels more like a ego stroker than anything else.

13 minutes ago, 321agemo said:

OK I've given it some thought.

Given that the main purpose of a forum is to provide feedback, the top liked "should" be an opinion/ idea / contribution that resonates with the community. This information could then be relayed directly to the developers.

However,  the forum's topic are just too vast, and people can upvote the strangest of things.

Not to mention it's less helpful compare to system we already have: the top contributor flag.

Maybe this is a bit crude in words, but this winner system feels more like a ego stroker than anything else.

Indeed. 

I don't know if this system is really designed for helping the Devs, if it were they could have it running on the down-low, out of the public eye. That way they can still get the benefits from it, and the community doesn't devolve into 11 year olds on the internet for the first time.

Part of me is wondering if this is an escalation of the ''loser'' thing, now they're perfectly justified in calling their userbase losers when 99.9% of you can't ''win''. I dunno. If it is an escalation of that joke, I'm pretty disappointed. 

Edited by DeMonkey

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, quick update on this. 

Our Forum hosts update with new features that we can sometimes tinker around with after release. We have reviewed leader-boards and have heard your feedback. Badges on profiles have been disabled and we have limited overall leader-board visibility on the Forums as we feel it does not accurately represent the community and has limited use on our day-to-day. 

Thanks as always for your constructive feedback! 

On 09/12/2016 at 10:27 PM, DeMonkey said:

I'd like to give you something constructive DE, something you can use to build upon whatever idea you had when implementing this. But I can't unfortunately, I can't think of any way of making this into a good system. Hell, I can't think of a reason as to why this needed to be implemented in the first place.

I don't think it was "implemented" since the forum is built using a forum framework that provide many feature including this one. It was rather not removed than implemented.

I think it has some interest for opening post (and opening post only) in the users concepts sub-forum as this is the only place I can think of where people would actually up vote something interesting (and maybe feedback too). But aside from that most posts have no value for the game and shouldn't be awarded.