Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

what are Snipers good for ??

Vicious_Vipa

in a game where 100 brainless enemies at once rush at you?

I believe that most players only have them for special sortie conditions ;)-

most sniper rifles don't even have innate punch through which would give them at least a little bit of utility.

Maybe they'd have a right to exist if they could penetrate Nullifier Bubbles or something like that, and therefore help the team by taking out these specific threats.

It really is a mystery for me why DE does not give them more love.

Edited by Vicious_Vipa

6 minutes ago, Naftal said:

They're good for killing high level enemies fast.

You can mod for punch through if the weapon doesn't have it innately and kill multiple enemies.

well - can't a Tigris Prime do this better?

And I might have seen a mod that gives punch through... my meaning is that you'd save a mod slot of course ;)
this would make these weapons a little special and give them a reason to exist. 

Edited by Vicious_Vipa

HUH absolutely nothin'

(Seriously though. They're awful. They don't have a role in this game that can't be better filled by another weapon class. If they're going to be useful, we need maps and missions that are large enough for snipers to be useful. Nothing else will fix them.)

Edited by motorfirebox

2 minutes ago, Vicious_Vipa said:

well - can't a Tigris Prime do this better?

And I might have seen a mod that gives punch through... my meaning is that you'd save a mod slot of course ;)
this would make these weapons a little special and give them a reason to exist. 

Tigris prime can do it better but it has limited range while snipers work the same way on any range.

Better question these days is what use do bows have? Lanka is better than any bow there is.

Bows even got a stealth nerf on their hipfire accuracy with the sniper "buff".

Personally I use them a lot. When modded correctly, they can easily one shot high level enemies, maybe two shots for the 100+ level (headshots required of course). Punch through is not the holy grail of dealing damage. Yes it's useful, but not necessary. I don't use punch through on any of my snipers.

As for Tigris Prime doing a better job, well, different categories of weapon. Your Tigris won't do a good job for long distances. But it will do better up close. It's what it was made for.

One of my most hardest hitting weapons is the Snipetron Vandal (thanks to a good Riven mod), and it chews through level 100+ enemies very easily. 

Hmmmm ... for a few things, killing high priority targets such as napalms or ancients if you bring a sniper to an infested mission. And just for the giggles.

But other weapons excel more in those things. 

We need a real buff to snipers to be honest, we sorta/kinda got one when update 18 arrived ... but it is not good enough. I remember in an older post that a thing that could help sniper rifles is to 1 shot nullifier bubbles, that could be a good start.

I love my Lanka for solo runs, but it's a pain to try to snipe anything if allies are around. The Lanka, at least, is a pretty solid multi-target damage dealer that has amusing synergies with Mag and Saryn. Is it my best weapon? Not by a long shot, but at least it's fun.

That said, high single-shot damage weapons, including sniper rifles, are good for taking down sentients and Shadow Stalker.

they are mostly good for large scale interception maps. just find a good spot where you can see all eight (two per objective) enemy capture consoles. your team will not need to worry about defending consoles so much.

however, you may only find a spot were you can see a limited amount of consoles, and there is a chance frost may be using his Snowglobe to slow enemies down, denying any long range fire from allies. there is also an time when enemies can shoot you meters away, and the fact that you will only receive affinity for your kills due to your distance from your allies. other issues include the orokin interception map that has too many walled off areas, and situations where your team may need you to revive them.

Nah, there are plenty of players I run into a daily basis that use Snipers.

And personally, with my 6 forma, [red] crit Rubico build (dat 15x Critical Damage multiplier though~), I never once had any real issue with it, but I suppose that's because I try to aim and not a fan of spray-and-pray automatic rifles. But that's just me.

Also a handful of them have a much faster fire-rate than any bow, and you actually have a magazine (since not every sniper is a Vectis/Vectis Prime), but in all it seems more that you and some others are just trying to fit it into how you play and not understanding, just like bows, have a different purpose.
So instead of blaming the class that it's somehow inherently broken (because again, there are plenty of players who are very successful in using them), first really sit and think if it's yourself is the issue.

• Are you aiming correctly?
  • Are you going for headshots or body shots?
  • Are you taking advantage of Punch Through mods (they are there for a reason) and any other utility to help you perform better?

Many people seem to dismiss them all together before even considering some of these factors. Of course there is always room for improvements for the class, but they are far, and I mean far from being unusable. It takes practice and using one for barely hour wont cut it. Not assuming that's the OP but making a general statement for those kind of mindsets.

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

Must... resist... the urge... to rant about snipers...

Basically nothing at all. Every single sniper out there has worse accuracy than your average rifle and deal less damage. They have aim sway when I can hold a bloody Opticor or Ogris just fine. They have hipfire inaccuracy with spread that are worse than shotguns, and some of your shots will seemingly disappear for no reason. Here's a video that showcases the problem with snipers. And worse is that they're not on top of DE's to-do list, so enjoy your ultra niche Sniper-only-Sortie weapons for another year.

And before anyone says anything along with the line of "You just need to use them properly, I can do well enough in missions with them" -NO. It doesn't matter. It doesn't fix the actual problem snipers have. It doesn't excuse the random mechanic they're randomly throwing at snipers. I've did well on a mission with a Skana, no, it's not a good weapon. 

Edited by TotallyLagging