Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

what are Snipers good for ??

Vicious_Vipa

The only good thing about snipers would be high single bullet damage. Otherwise the zoom and small tiles accompanied by the lack of punch through all contribute to making snipers one of the least satisfactory weapon classes.  
I don't see anything changing tile scale wise any time soon, unless they add a new mode that specifically rewards and benefits long range game play. There is not much aside from that which could be done to change snipers without directly kicking them out of the sniper category. Unfortunately it's become something set aside and perhaps a "mistake" for introducing a weapon class that conflicts with the flow, size and theme of the game. 

7 hours ago, HalfDarkShadow said:
  • Are you aiming correctly?  YES
  • Are you going for headshots or body shots? HS. always
  • Are you taking advantage of Punch Through mods (they are there for a reason thanks for the lecture) and any other utility to help you perform better?  sometimes but the damage of most Sniper Rifles is already much inferior to other "high damage - low fire rate" guns in the game and I absolutely need the mod slot. That's why I made the suggestion to give them innate punch-through.  this is just a slight change that'd hurt nobody and even would make sense because why would such a high velocity-damage rifle NOT have punch through ??

Many people seem to dismiss them all together before even considering some of these factors. Of course there is always room for improvements for the class, but they are far, and I mean far from being unusable. It takes practice and using one for barely hour wont cut it. Not assuming that's the OP but making a general statement for those kind of mindsets.

For Sortie-level heavies and similarly tough enemies, I prefer my Vulkar Wraith over pretty much everything else. It can fairly reliably take high-level heads off and it can fire eight rounds before having to be reloaded. Aim sway isn't really a problem if I only scope in briefly.

I can see why some might prefer shotguns or bows, though: shotguns are easier to use and are also much better at close range, while bows never have to go through the 3 second reload that my Vulkar Wraith has to, plus they come with punch through built in.

Snipers are pretty effective against super-strong enemies. If you play some CC frames it is the one of the best choices around. Lanka for instance is a single most damaging gun in the game against armored foes (Tigris Prime is pretty close at point-blank-to-mid range). Sarpa made snipers a good choice even if the area is saturated with Nullies. Being able to pop the bubbles without switch-button-mashing is super handy. Even against hordes a good sniper rifle could be pretty effective for picking priority targets at range while you are orthos-ing thrash units (ancients are pretty annoying to deal with using AoE melee).

Edited by tutzdes

13 hours ago, motorfirebox said:

HUH absolutely nothin'

(Seriously though. They're awful. They don't have a role in this game that can't be better filled by another weapon class. If they're going to be useful, we need maps and missions that are large enough for snipers to be useful. Nothing else will fix them.)

We need an objective where killing single targets halfway across the map is a viable method.

Lanka and Snipetron Vandal are the only two real sniper rifles, innate punch through makes a BIG difference. The combo mod is also another game changer.

Should be able to remove those god-awful-UI-masker scopes instead, so I could actually land my shots and see what's around me.

And no, the setting disable-scope doesn't do that, it keeps the awful zoom/FOV. We should be able to remove the entire scope on the gun and turn it into a Rifle.

Edited by CookingFood

43 minutes ago, CookingFood said:

And no, the setting disable-scope doesn't do that, it keeps the awful zoom/FOV. We should be able to remove the entire scope on the gun and turn it into a Rifle.

That makes no sense, if you want a semi-auto rifle, use a rifle not a sniper.

It's like asking to hold a rifle by the barrel, club mobs over the head with it and call it a hammer.

I use two snipers on a more regular base.

The Lanka when im playing with Mag.
And the Vectis Prime when playing with (slow) Nova.

The amount of damage they deal is good enough for me.
However i sometimes get the feeling i cant kill things fast enough.
I need to aim and shoot each enemy separate.
And when a horde of infested i rushing in my direction im happy i can use some cc with my Warframe ability's.

So indeed as many as suggested for a while now,
A buff to the innate punch trough of snipers would be welcome.

It doesn't have to be as crazy as bows.
But it would be nice to hit two or tree enemies with one shot.

Anyway that's my opinion at least. :wink:

4 hours ago, ChuckMaverick said:

That makes no sense, if you want a semi-auto rifle, use a rifle not a sniper.

It's like asking to hold a rifle by the barrel, club mobs over the head with it and call it a hammer.

no? It's asking to treat sniper rifles as rifles. Sniper rifles don't belong in this game at all

2 minutes ago, CookingFood said:

no? It's asking to treat sniper rifles as rifles. Sniper rifles don't belong in this game at all

And if you had asked for sniper rifles to be removed, that would have made much more sense.

A wide variety of rifles already exist in the game, there's no need to turn sniper rifles into even more mid-range rifles when some people enjoy the gameplay that snipers provide.

They may not be optimal or efficient in terms of mission completion times, but if they allow others to play the way they want to, where's the harm?

On 12/9/2016 at 7:36 PM, HalfDarkShadow said:

Many people seem to dismiss them all together before even considering some of these factors. Of course there is always room for improvements for the class, but they are far, and I mean far from being unusable. It takes practice and using one for barely hour wont cut it. Not assuming that's the OP but making a general statement for those kind of mindsets.

I mean, here's the thing. With a lot of practice and skill, you can do as well with a sniper as with any other weapon. But there's not really any gameplay situations where you can do better. There's no gameplay that favors taking out targets with precise shots from the kinds of ranges that sniper scopes are suited to.

And that is what needs to change if snipers are ever going to be a good option. We need enemies that attack from ranges that other weapon types have a hard time dealing with. We need maps where these long-range enemies can appear. And we need missions that use these long-range maps.

To get through my first accidental derelict run, the only reason I survived was because of my patent pending "Pull ancients to the floor and snipe them in the head with my Vulkar." ad-hoc panic style of combat. To this day, I still use this tactic on special occasions to honor the memory of that accidentally fun day where I went alone as a Rank 3 Master 15 Mag with a Rank 20 Vulkar on a Derelict. . . and won. Beyond this, I have no real input that isn't tainted by my strange love for this breed of firearm.

1 hour ago, motorfirebox said:

I mean, here's the thing. With a lot of practice and skill, you can do as well with a sniper as with any other weapon. But there's not really any gameplay situations where you can do better. There's no gameplay that favors taking out targets with precise shots from the kinds of ranges that sniper scopes are suited to.

And that is what needs to change if snipers are ever going to be a good option. We need enemies that attack from ranges that other weapon types have a hard time dealing with. We need maps where these long-range enemies can appear. And we need missions that use these long-range maps.

We'd have to change the entire style of this game if we were going make snipers in their current state a practical choice in combat. Warframe is first and foremost a horde shooter, which means the most important thing when it comes to combat is being able to kill quickly, and snipers just aren't built for killing large numbers of enemies at the moment. So either we have the change the game from a horde shooter, or change snipers to somehow really pick up their killing speed, if they are to have a genuine place in the game. 

On 12/9/2016 at 1:59 PM, SHIR0B0N said:

Personally I use them a lot. When modded correctly, they can easily one shot high level enemies, maybe two shots for the 100+ level (headshots required of course). Punch through is not the holy grail of dealing damage. Yes it's useful, but not necessary. I don't use punch through on any of my snipers.

As for Tigris Prime doing a better job, well, different categories of weapon. Your Tigris won't do a good job for long distances. But it will do better up close. It's what it was made for.

One of my most hardest hitting weapons is the Snipetron Vandal (thanks to a good Riven mod), and it chews through level 100+ enemies very easily. 

But we are talking about a game where quantity of kills is the order of the day not quality, while you are sitting waiting and watching for the heavies your team has already probably either killed the heavy with multiple focus fire and killed all the enemies as well.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:53 AM, motorfirebox said:

HUH absolutely nothin'

(Seriously though. They're awful. They don't have a role in this game that can't be better filled by another weapon class. If they're going to be useful, we need maps and missions that are large enough for snipers to be useful. Nothing else will fix them.)

Good god, y'all.

Kidding aside, give sniper rifles punch-through on nullies and arctics already. Bursas even. Then at least a sniper can play like a sniper, taking out priority targets.

7 hours ago, Cubewano said:

We'd have to change the entire style of this game if we were going make snipers in their current state a practical choice in combat. Warframe is first and foremost a horde shooter, which means the most important thing when it comes to combat is being able to kill quickly, and snipers just aren't built for killing large numbers of enemies at the moment. So either we have the change the game from a horde shooter, or change snipers to somehow really pick up their killing speed, if they are to have a genuine place in the game. 

I honestly think that we could make snipers an... acceptable choice, if not a great choice, without any really major changes. The easiest one to introduce: on outdoor levels, put in a handful of archwing enemies sniping from a klick away, buzzing around the edge of the tile. Give them the laser sight warning thing that other sniper enemies have, so that if you don't have a sniper yourself you can still avoid them. It wouldn't make sniper rifles a great choice, but it'd give them something to do.

Beyond that, there are possibilities like mortar pits—a couple guys with a mortar tube way off in the distance, dropping 'splosions on you until you take them out. You can rush across the battlefield dodging their fire (again, some kind of warning-to-dodge indicator would be in place), or you can pop their heads with a sniper rifle from across the map.

And beyond that, DE could just plain have sniper mobs start acting like snipers. Instead of tromping across the map towards you, sniper mobs should hole up in a nice, well-defended nest and take potshots. Again, you can fight  your way up to the nest, or you can outsnipe them.

Additions like that would at least be a step in the right direction. And honestly, while Warframe is primarily a horde shooter, it's been chafing under the yoke of being just a horde shooter basically forever. There's a lot of room for other kinds of gameplay.

Edited by motorfirebox