Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nidus discussion Post Devstream 84

Domesticon

I don't like it's Chroma shape and it's giant dinosaur dong is even more

2 hours ago, AntoineFlemming said:

Idk, I think it's abilities are a bit too tame. Kinda wish one of the abilities could turn an enemy into it's corresponding infested version ( e.g. Grineer turn into Chargers; Corpus turn into Runners, Leapers, or Crawlers; MOAs turn into Mutalist MOAs; and Ospreys turn into Mutalist Ospreys).

Also, it should be called Typhus.

. Typhus looks cooler though. :o

3 minutes ago, NativeKiller said:

I am expecting a weaker version of Inaros.

...Mastery is always welcome though.

I Nah not really, this guy is no where even close to the same as inaros, sure he has no shields like inaros but he is a caster frame not a tank.

32 minutes ago, zNightWolfz said:

my god people its not even out yet give it a dam chance what you dont like someone else will...

And, what you like, someone else won't. Maybe that fact will help you cope with some other people not being impressed. No one told other people not to like it to begin with. The frame does not have to be out to  be able to judge it's look and abilities shown anyway.

People are speaking in present tense obviously. Hopefully this thing goes through remarkable changes prior to release if it hopes to appeal to me, but that's doubtful when it is supposed to come out this month.

Edited by UrielColtan

40 minutes ago, Smilomaniac said:

(I don't remember the ability names, so bear with me. Also, I was playing Warframe at the time so I might've missed some details, feel free to let me know.)

He's way more appealing than Titania from a "what am I actually going to use this guy for" in the form of his tentacles and cree... I mean infestation circle, which both have good crowd control possibilities. His symbiotic link will likely also be important for taking down priority targets, so that's great, especially if we'll see syndicate mods for it. He looks fun to play in those regards.

I do not like the combo-ability-counter mechanic for a few reasons:

1. It's reminiscent of DOTA/LoL/MOBA's where you pace back and forth getting stacks for something, to unleash it at the right time. Warframe gameplay is much quicker and practically requires on demand skills.

2. When you actually play Warframe, people run through missions in a blur. How often are you going to get a chance to actually stack something before a synoid simulor/tonkor/world on fire has already cleared everything? Obviously this isn't always the case, but it's where a lot of your gameplay time goes, leaving little room to use any non-instant effect abilities. I feel there might be a conflict of intended gameplay vs. actual gameplay if you play with randoms (as much as I do anyway, which is every single alert and most invasions).

3. The requirement of this ability is in stark contrast to other ones, such as avalanche, chaos or molecular prime which are capable of having huge reach and are instant crowd controls on demand. While these particular abilities might be borderline gamebreaking in terms of battle field control, Nidus' 4 is hard to justify having this requirement. Additionally, I don't believe this infestation circle will have a particularly large reach, possibly not even larger than what we saw, but that's just speculation based on the thought that it might be performance impacting. Basically I don't think the ability will be so good that it requires a build up, but we'll see.
    Even if it's so amazing as to warrant a build up, it's still in contrast to the rest of the game in that it's so rarely available, so you'll effectively be playing a 3-ability frame.

4. All of this is assuming there isn't any drop-off on that counter, so that it'll tick downwards at some point, making the usage of it even rarer. Also, while I assume he uses energy like everyone else (otherwise lol tentacles), does his 4 also use energy? If so, that's another thing that might make this ability hard to use when you need it. Unfortunately some doofus decided that the "development build" bar was more important than actually showing this. 

His tentacle ability is visually odd - I didn't notice any arms grabbing anyone as much as enemies just being flung into the pod, as if it was a black hole. It might just be the stream, but the feel of it seems way off. *shrug*

All in all, if I don't have to scan plants for hours I'll be happy to get this guy and mess around with him a bit.

One more thing... if the infested door was just to signal his coming and doesn't have anything to do with Nidus and it just gets swept up/removed, I'm going to be slightly perturbed. I want to see what's actually behind there.

---

Did they say when he'd be released by the way?

He's very impressive, aesthetically (and will be even better), and I very much like watching him executing his powers.

However...

He doesn't INFEST anything, really. He uses Technocyte to Morph into melee weapons.

He has a Street Fighter-esque stomp-strike, a cool tentacle grab, a slimy but limited (?) immobilization CC, and a visually cool 4 that seems...ok.

For all the hype, I expected the maggots of his 4 to spread technocyte infection with their bite and create infested minions...basically spreading like a slow acting Spore Build...a  combo of Inaros, Nekros, and Saryn.

Actually, I expected ANY contact he made to start infecting enemies, or at least a % chance to.

But really, he's a high-health melee-damage-morpher with some leech abilities, and a low-mid-tier CC power.

12 minutes ago, 45neo said:

I Nah not really, this guy is no where even close to the same as inaros, sure he has no shields like inaros but he is a caster frame not a tank.

I just glimpsed at the new frame's abilities so I could be wrong but their skill sets seemed to have quite a few similarities.

Sure, they would have differences but I personally get the feeling that the new frame might not be as effective as Inaros.

I personally found the recent Titania to be nothing but 6000 mastery points so just hoping that Nidus doesn't turn out to be something like that as well.

Edited by NativeKiller

3 minutes ago, HerpDerpy said:

his 4 looks incredibly underpowered for something that requires us to get a big charge to use.

"okay iv spent the past 3 min getting the charges i need let me activate my ult. *5 maggots spawn that do no damage*"

Agreed. Although take a closer look, maggots do nibble on enemies that they don't or can't latch on, doing very negligible damage. Plus they explode after a while, some damage there.

Nidus' stack thing is like a unique resource, which is a pretty big deal.

Now we can have Warframes that don't solely use energy as a resource. Inaros was a step closer to this, but Nidus' infested stack thing is essentially a new resource, meaning you can do so many more things with ability design that you can't do with the default "mana" system. You can have the ever-popular build/dump cycle, where you build up the resource and then dump it all into a nuke or other spenders. You could have a charging resource that fuels a different ability type, like Hatred/Discipline with D3's Demon Hunter. You could have a Warframe that steals souls from slain enemies, and then uses them to augment or cast other abilities.

I dunno, I think this is a big deal. There's a lot of possibilities with a system like this, with a bit of work.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Just now, Etan-gK said:

you mean like titania and her soul stealing/self buffing powers

No. I mean like you absorb it, and it goes towards another resource bar, or charges of that resources. Not just enemies dropping buffs when they die. That's really not even close to being the same thing.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

So we saw the infested warframe, Nidus, being shown off in the latest devstream. Some of his abilities reminded me a lot of a game called Prototype, which gave me an idea for his third ability, Symbiotic Link. Now for anyone who didn't see the devstream, Symbiotic Link is a single target ability that attaches a cord to an enemy, putting them to sleep and redirecting all the damage that Nidus would have taken to that enemy. With all that in mind, my idea is to make a stealth augment mod for that ability. For now, let's call it...Symbiotic Flesh.

Using Symbiotic Flesh on an enemy opens them up to finishers. If you perform a finisher on a humanoid enemy, you will...wear them, disguising yourself as the enemy. While you are disguised, enemies won't be alerted when they see you. Bullet jumping will make enemies suspicious, but not hostile. Enemies will only become hostile if they notice you using any weapons/abilities. The disguise will wear off after time has run out. I'm not sure how long Symbiotic Link normally lasts, but for now let's say Symbiotic Flesh will last about 20-25 seconds without any duration mods.

I have a few other ideas, but this already sounds like it might be a bit much for a single augment mod, so I'll leave it there for now. If anything like this ever actually gets implemented, I hope it turns out as disgusting as it sounds :satisfied:

21 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

A big deal to me, anyway.

Now we can have Warframes that don't solely use energy as a resource. Inaros was a step closer to this, but Nidus' infested stack thing is essentially a new resource, meaning you can do so many more things with ability design that you can't do with the default "mana" system. You can have the ever-popular build/dump cycle, where you build up the resource and then dump it all into a nuke or other spenders. You could have a charging resource that fuels a different ability type, like Hatred/Discipline with D3's Demon Hunter. You could have a Warframe that steals souls from slain enemies, and then uses them to augment or cast other abilities.

I dunno, I think this is a big deal.

I think so too.

It's also a male frame with a unique concept and design setup which is long awaited by me.

Lastly, it sounds like a JoAT which tend to be my preferred frames.

That and the shotgun announcement made me quite happy.

12 minutes ago, maj.death said:

TBH the maggots as a 4th ability seemed underwhelming as all hell. But I'll wait to see how it does myself when it's out.

Agreed. They never really seemed to mention that you do gain health rapidly within the mass. However, the build up takes time, the cast time is horrendous, and all you really get is a faster health regen and a crowd stun. Mind you, it was only on two enemies when they showed it, so it might just get better with the more enemies it takes in. And, since his three looks really good, you could safely hunker in a crowd and use four.

Edited by R34LM

this is too soon for augment mods lol... the frame isn't even out yet and they only gave the demo of it's abilities... there could be some last-minute changes before he's out so for now leave the augments out of it for some time until at least the majority of players gets to try the new frame out

Edited by NobleParadox96

Without having played with it, its hard to speculate. As you said Inaros kind of went into an extra requirement for a power but health is an easier resource to manage then even energy. If the "mutation" resource is to simple to gain it becomes a non-issue because in the end the only thing that matters is the limiting factor in any system. If its you're getting enough stacks in a couple casts of his 1st (coupled with his 4th also giving stacks), energy is still the limiting factor (even though its interesting iirc that Scott said energy refund and possible generation on number of targets hit with his 1st). If its too hard to get stacks his 4th power just wont be used (which is a waste). I'm more interested in the strength/effectiveness of the skill because of the addition more than the system itself.

Personally I am waiting for the forums to devolve (as it always does) when he is released and no one can get stacks because Mirage/Ember/Equinox/<insertAOEmonster> kills everything before he can see them to even start.

I watched a bit of Prototype gameplay so I have an idea what you mean. That would be pretty awesome and seems plausible to program with TWW's system in place.

Would be funny running around as an infested Feral Kubrow, Drahk, Hyekka or even Sand Skate x)

the problem i see is that it involves hitting enemies and in this game where people nuke like maniacs you can end up not touching anything.

This setup also means that you need to actually focus on power casting instead of powers being an additional weapon that you pull out whenever you want. Yes, this means that this frame isnt stuck with just pressing two or maybe just one ability over and over, but it means that you need to go through a cycle that may not rank up well. Each power in this frame NEEDS to be top rank effective if you are going to have to go through that cycle.

This system was used for Warhammer Online and it worked in that game because the system was build on by using several powers. It wasnt just a built up of just power 1 to 2 and 3. There were several tier 1 powers you pick from a few 2nd tier, etc, until reaching the finisher. So you had the option on how to build up the combo meter.

Edited by Mak_Gohae