Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Spear Makes me a bit Angry

ensignvidiot

Yes the fire spear is cool.

Yes it has an interesting mechanic.

My only problem with it?

Part of its mechanics grants it INSTANT WEAPON SWAP SPEED.

Please watch the devstream, you will see that each time Rebecca throws the Spear the game IMMEDIATELY puts her Lex Prime in her hand, and if she picks up the spear, it IMMEDIATELY swaps back to it.

0 delay, 0 penalty. 

Wait, I spoke too soon, if you 'lose' your spear it will reappear on your back after 10 seconds. and then it will be subjected to normal weapon swap speeds.

Allow me to paint you a picture that many people are familiar with:

*Edit*: self quote from reddit got messed up. can't fix it

Too many times have I quick melee'd, decided that I should actually just stay in melee....

Only to be treated to my operator acting The Dumbass by slowly putting away the melee weapon, switching to primary, attempting to reload the primary weapon, switching to 2ndary because the game didn't register my holding the button long enough, firing my 2ndary in bleed out, waiting to be revived, being forced to switch back to my primary when I stand up, and then finally drawing my melee weapon to channel on the pile of bodies that used to be a room full of enemies.

But yeah, the super nifty spear weapon gets instant switch times because it's the New Hotness.

Of all the mechanics in warframe, I wish weapon swap speed wasn't a static slow thing that requires either an Aura, or a green Chroma in PvE, or farm for one of the special Conclave mods for PvE.

So your three options is to use an Aura. Build one warframe completely around it. Or to just enjoy conclave.

I understand Warframe is different from other shooters both first and 3Rd person... but I liken it to a 3rd person shooter on the 360 called Vanquish.

You player a dude in a cybersuit that basically turns him into a ninja commando, and all of his reflexes become near-super human. so he can swap from pistol, to rocket launcher, to sniper rifle and back again all within a second and a half.

But the technocyte meatpuppets require effort to digitize and undigitize their weapons.

TL:DR a long runner has salt because a new weapon doesn't get the action-stopping swap speed everything else is cursed with.

Edited by ensignvidiot
Quote was messed up. Can't fix it.

It was a pre-view, the weapon was in a dev build and specs and stats are still liable to be changed.

Expecting the final product to be exactly like you saw it in a preview is jumping to conclusions. Not to mention complaining that something that doesn't exist yet isn't working just the way you like it reeks more than slightly of some misplaced sense of entitlement.

Let's wait until the thing actually comes out before we try to deconstruct its alleged flaws.

having to replay Animations unnecessarily for actions that you're going to do again or wish to change ofcourse is annoying and poo. and ideally shouldn't be that way.
so you shouldn't need to bother to Holster your Melee Weapon before Switching Weapons, because then you're doing it twice, if you want to cancel switching Weapons you shouldn't have to switch twice, if you want to switch to Melee after having used Quick Melee Holstering is pointless since you want to switch to that anyways, Et Cetera.

i do not see any problems with having to switch Weapons however - there is just not that much for options on speeding that up as a playstyle choice or Et Cetera. there's a few Conclave crossover Mods that are available.
i haven't tried them as of yet, haven't really thought to as the time span of switching isn't really what's sometimes problematic about it. i'm sure they help, but i'm questionable as to how much, as this stat type in the past did not seem to be incredibly useful, even 4 Speed Holsters didn't seem like a significant speed increase, while a single Speed Holster was a mild improvement. i haven't considered using Holster Rate Bonuses since then, but perhaps they're more useful now.
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Reflex_Draw
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Soft_Hands
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Twitch

1 minute ago, Serinexxa said:

my computer "conveniently" refusing to work on the day of a catalyst alert.

(meanwhile i got two Catalysts within the past week from Sorties - in a row)

19 minutes ago, ensignvidiot said:

Yes the fire spear is cool.

Yes it has an interesting mechanic.

My only problem with it?

Part of its mechanics grants it INSTANT WEAPON SWAP SPEED.

Please watch the devstream, you will see that each time Rebecca throws the Spear the game IMMEDIATELY puts her Lex Prime in her hand, and if she picks up the spear, it IMMEDIATELY swaps back to it.

0 delay, 0 penalty. 

Wait, I spoke too soon, if you 'lose' your spear it will reappear on your back after 10 seconds. and then it will be subjected to normal weapon swap speeds.

Allow me to paint you a picture that many people are familiar with:

*Edit*: self quote from reddit got messed up. can't fix it

Oh well game mechanics. This is what we complain about now?

11 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

They think giving us better weapon swapping will turn the game into DMC. Because that's clearly how it works.

This nowhere near Devil May Cry.

They'd have to get rid of ammo, mods, long reload times, damage types, status effects, make

mode nearly god-like, and have a combo meter expressed in cool lingo instead of numbers.

12 hours ago, FLSH_BNG said:

Let's wait until the thing actually comes out before we try to deconstruct its alleged flaws.

My primary issue isn't the weapons balace with damage or CC, two things we have to wait and see on, it's yhe circumventing of a system put into place that DE swears by to Keep Warframe Unique.

12 hours ago, brytur said:

Oh look at that, it says "development build" at the bottom, which is another way of saying "subject to change" or "Work in progress."

You make it sound like that's the way the weapon is going to be when it's released. Wait until it comes out before jumping to conclusions, please.

There have been SEVERAL times where what they've  demo'd or previewed, have been EXACTLY what has been delivered to a live build.

Generally speaking, the only thing that separates live build from the dev build most of the time is the days of QA and Bug Hunting that go into makING sure it doesn't tank the whole game.