Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion for the new Shotgun

Drufo

Hi! After watching the DEvstream I searched a bit about pump action shotguns out of curiosity, and I found that they can use special ammos called "Dragon Breath", which shoot a long fire burst ( you can see it on youtube). I think it would be nice if the new weapon could have a secondary fire which switches to those ammos, shooting with improved range/spread, low fire damage and a lot of status chance. It's just an idea to differentiate it a bit more from all the shotguns already in game

Edited by Drufo

I'm okay with special mechanics, so long as the weapon can compete with the other 7* major shotguns. The concept art looks absolutely beautiful (can't quite make out the name in the image, but you sir, "done good"), and I really don't want it to wind up like the Stradavar did, where it was underwhelming, declared by many to be mastery fodder, and eventually found itself on the low end of the usage charts. (Proof: See Riven disposition)

*In no particular order: Boar Prime, Kohm, Strun Wraith, Vaykor Hek, Sancti Tigris, Tigris Prime, Sobek

Edited by DeltaPhantom

Just now, DeltaPhantom said:

I'm okay with special mechanics, so long as the weapon can compete with the other 7* major shotguns. The concept art looks absolutely beautiful (can't quite make out the name in the image, but you sir, "done good"), and I really don't want it to wind up like the Stradavar did, where it was underwhelming and found itself on the low end of the usage charts.

*In no particular order: Boar Prime, Kohm, Strun Wraith, Vaykor Hek, Sancti Tigris, Tigris Prime, Sobek

Make it a crit shotgun. Problem solved.

It doesn't have to directly compete. It just has to be good on its own.

3 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Make it a crit shotgun. Problem solved.

It doesn't have to directly compete. It just has to be good on its own.

Vaykor Hek is a critgun already, so we aren't filling a void, really. 'on it's own' can work, so long as it's still viable in sorties, even if only slightly so, I'll be happy.

Edited by DeltaPhantom

4 minutes ago, DeltaPhantom said:

Vaykor Hek is a critgun already, so we aren't filling a void, really. 

Yes we are. Of the fifteen shotguns in the game, ONE of them is a crit shotgun, unless I'm forgetting one.

It fills the niche of not having more options. We don't need fifty status weapons and one crit weapon. If this new one was a crit shotgun it wouldn't overlap since it works differently.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Just now, AdunSaveMe said:

Yes we are. Of the fifteen shotguns in the game, ONE of them is a crit shotgun, unless I'm forgetting one.

It fills the niche of not having more options. We don't need fifty status weapons and one crit weapon.

Fair enough.

I can see this shotgun being fairly unique: Dragon's Breath is not exactly necessary though.

* Alternate fire: Switch shell type
Types could be
* Regular - Basic, powerful shotgunswarm with average spread. Slash-biased damage. (EDIT: Also, this should have the highest damage per shot, but with falloff like other shotguns, making it the shortrange attack)
* Flechette - Narrower swarm of "bolts", these bolts have traveltime, but also innate punchthrough and bodyragdoll. Better for lines of crowds. Puncture-biased damage. (EDIT: The damage should be very slighttly lower than the regular shot, but with no or lesser falloff, making this, along with its narrower spread, better for longrange shots)
* Explosive - Launches minigrenades with moderate AoE, but with slightly weaker overall damage and selfharm capabilities. Better for clustered crowds. Impact-biased damage,

* Reload shell by shell (and both this and Strun Wraith really ought to reload 2 shells per reload instance, to reduce massive reloadtimes)

* Critbiased. This is different, considering we only have Vaykor Hek right now as a truly viable critshotgun.

Rather unique, I must say.

Edited by Azamagon

2 hours ago, Misgenesis said:

I just wish its slash. A shotgun that doesnt gib isnt a shotgun.

Honestly, I think a non-IPS shotgun (besides the Phage) would be a relatively nice change of pace. Maybe have it hold explosive shells (blast damage) or something along those lines. Aside from that, I really want it to be crit viable...

5 hours ago, Azamagon said:

I can see this shotgun being fairly unique: Dragon's Breath is not exactly necessary though.

* Alternate fire: Switch shell type
Types could be
* Regular - Basic, powerful shotgunswarm with average spread. Slash-biased damage. (EDIT: Also, this should have the highest damage per shot, but with falloff like other shotguns, making it the shortrange attack)
* Flechette - Narrower swarm of "bolts", these bolts have traveltime, but also innate punchthrough and bodyragdoll. Better for lines of crowds. Puncture-biased damage. (EDIT: The damage should be very slighttly lower than the regular shot, but with no or lesser falloff, making this, along with its narrower spread, better for longrange shots)
* Explosive - Launches minigrenades with moderate AoE, but with slightly weaker overall damage and selfharm capabilities. Better for clustered crowds. Impact-biased damage,

* Reload shell by shell (and both this and Strun Wraith really ought to reload 2 shells per reload instance, to reduce massive reloadtimes)

* Critbiased. This is different, considering we only have Vaykor Hek right now as a truly viable critshotgun.

Rather unique, I must say.

I'd rather not have weird mechanics like that. I don't want to see a crit shotty be like the stratavar.

Here's an idea for the new shotgun. Since DE is aiming to have a "pump-style" shotgun, the way you could achieve a pump effect is to have the weapon modeled after the Vectis. The shotgun could have a single round in the magazine, you shoot it, and the reload could be a very quick pump. This would be similar to the Vectis in that it needs a reload between each shot, but each shot could be very powerful, possibly comparable to the Tigris with it's two-shot mechanic. Albeit it won't be as powerful as the Tigris or it's prime variant, It should still have viable DPS, regardless of it's damage type, be it IPS or an elemental of some sort.

You could also go the route of having a 6-8 round magazine and have a small animation between shots, similar to how the Marelok works. Instead of having a pistol flip, it could just be a quick animation to emulate a shotgun pump. There are many ways to achieve a pump shotgun, but these two ways are the two most viable ways to achieve it mechanically in-game. Just throwing out my two cents out onto the forums.