Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A "Hacking" Warframe

xV3NOMx

There is a variety of "Offensive" and "Defensive" Warframes available for players to play solo or multi-player with, but all have combat related abilities to either harm or subdue enemies. It would be nice to have a Waframe that is not bound by combat strategies, but uses intellectual abilities for completing a mission by hacking.

My Idea: A Warframe that uses "hacking" abilities to shutdown security units (Turrets, Cameras, Sensor Regulators, Laser Traps; etc.), open "locked" security doors,  reprogram machines (Moas, Bursas, Ospreys; etc.), and to reset alarms. 

[Basically, this Warframe will be built with "Espionage" technology to enable the player to get in & out of very restricted areas without notice.]

I know many players already use Loki or Ivara for their "Infiltrating" skills, but this new Warframe will be more suitable for missions that rely on stealth than hiding.

[Mods to silence weapons will have more of a use for this Warframe in order to kill potential threats without alerting other enemies.]

What are your thoughts, Tenno?

I think it would be extremely situational and underpowered, unless we add more functionalities to tilesets that this warframe would be able to use such as mechs to take control or machinery to trap and attack enemies with. 

As it is right now it would only be useful with the corpus.

13 hours ago, Evanescent said:

I think it would be extremely situational and underpowered, unless we add more functionalities to tilesets that this warframe would be able to use such as mechs to take control or machinery to trap and attack enemies with. 

As it is right now it would only be useful with the corpus.

I already considered there will be limitations to the Warframe in some situations or missions, but it could use abilities for diversions to lead enemies away from its location or to direct them into a trap. 

[Perhaps this Warframe should have an "Shade" ability or an Passive skill that enables it not to be seen, but can only be activated when it is stationary.] 

I know there are many types of players who either use silent weapons or heavy weapons on missions. This Warframe could be well balanced, even if a player wants to "rush" a mission or take their time. 

*Warframe could look similar to this: Image result for metal gear ninja cosplay

Edited by xV3NOMx
Rephrased Sentence

I like the idea of a more mechanical frame however i think he should be focused on defense rather then stealth such as being able to deploy a turret, hacking mechanical enemy's and possibly overclocking a Warframes shields at the expense of damage or boosting there ability power or weapon damage at the expense of Shields. 

Edited by Beowulf57

7 hours ago, Beowulf57 said:

I like the idea of a more mechanical frame however i think he should be focused on defense rather then stealth such as being able to deploy a turret, hacking mechanical enemy's and possibly overclocking a Warframes shields at the expense of damage or boosting there ability power or weapon damage at the expense of Shields. 

Your idea sounds similar to the abilities of Mesa & Equinox can do in-game by boosting damage or ability power.

[I do like your idea to be able to cancel a vital resource for a booster effect. Maybe there should be a different type of Warframe that rely on its own vitals (shields & health only) for abilities that gives boosters for damage, shields and Health (a non-energy Warframe).]

Maybe this "Hacker" Warframe could use a "Defensive" skill that enables it to create an EMP (Electronic Magnetic Pulse), which could stun lifeforms and shutdown machines for a limited time. However, the "Volt" Warframe already uses a similar ability.

There was a concept posted a while back for "Cipher" or "Cypher", a frame that would be centred around hacking, wherein the design space was blinds, mind controls, and an enhanced version of the map control design space of Mirage's sleight of hand.

Even that rather struggled to feel relevant and unique, and it was a VERY thoughtful proposal.

5 hours ago, lodoubt said:

There was a concept posted a while back for "Cipher" or "Cypher", a frame that would be centred around hacking, wherein the design space was blinds, mind controls, and an enhanced version of the map control design space of Mirage's sleight of hand.

Even that rather struggled to feel relevant and unique, and it was a VERY thoughtful proposal.

The problem with creating a new Warframe concept are their abilities not to mimic current available ones. "Mind control" is already relevant with Nyx or Nyx Prime, while "blinding" enemies are consistent with Excalibur and Mirage abilities too.

[ I initially thought about how the Grineer are clones and may process their commands through a Hive Mind that controls them all (very similar idea to Science-Fiction books, movies or television stories of clones or cyborgs). Maybe by canceling that signal or by using an override they can become blinded to recognize the Warframe as a threat. ]

The problem with creating an idea. it is possible that others already had a similar one. Cipher or Cypher sounds like a nice name for a Warframe. I thought about giving a name to this Warframe (Mainframe, Interceptor, Cyber, Codec, Firewall, Protocol; etc.), but I decided it is best to just to leave it unnamed.   

Thanks for your input, Tenno. 

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

Isn't this just like General_Durandal 's Rogue 2.0 concept. 

Just saying.  :D

I checked the link you posted and read the concept for "Rogue," but only one ability (Bypass) is similar to what I have proposed. [Basically, "Rogue" is a Warframe that has abilities to shut-down power and to confuse enemies in-the-dark.] It is an interesting concept for a Warframe to enable "dark" environments, but will be handicapped on planet missions than on a Space station or shuttle.

[ I am inspired to create another Warframe concept that could create "Black" fog or smoke so enemies can't see it while it uses Thermal vision to see & fight the enemies (a "Shadow" Warframe that has abilities to conceal itself or its environment). ] ...or maybe not.

Thanks for sharing, Tenno.

Alright I actually went back and looked at the earlier warframe concept for this I quite liked, which was actually called 'Enigma' rather than Cipher or whatever.

The design space for each ability was:
1: A small stun, accompanied by disabling the special abilities of targetted units. Fusion MOA don't deploy ospreys, Eximi don't get special abilities, heavy gunners and bombards lose powerfist, etc.
2: A burst % shield restoring drone.
3: You initiate an alarm, but on your side, so to speak. Turrets and traps become allied, doors are locked for enemies but open for Warframes and Assassins, etc. enemies can counteract by hacking alarm panels. It remains active on whatever tile the frame is currently on.
4: Channelled, massive increase to the frames max shields, large boost to shield regen rate, and the #1 power chains from target to target.

As a general attempt at making the concept work, it was pretty good. The shield drone could have stood to do more, and the ult could probably stand to have some kind of ally buff effect as well as upgrading the other powers.

There are some problems with universal map control though, like penning enemies up behind locked doors to AoE kill or whatever, but I think it would make a good frame to test solutions to that sort of problem and exactly how much control players *can* be given over the map without braking the game.

Edited by lodoubt

2 hours ago, lodoubt said:

Alright I actually went back and looked at the earlier warframe concept for this I quite liked, which was actually called 'Enigma' rather than Cipher or whatever.

The design space for each ability was:
1: A small stun, accompanied by disabling the special abilities of targetted units. Fusion MOA don't deploy ospreys, Eximi don't get special abilities, heavy gunners and bombards lose powerfist, etc.
2: A burst % shield restoring drone.
3: You initiate an alarm, but on your side, so to speak. Turrets and traps become allied, doors are locked for enemies but open for Warframes and Assassins, etc. enemies can counteract by hacking alarm panels. It remains active on whatever tile the frame is currently on.
4: Channelled, massive increase to the frames max shields, large boost to shield regen rate, and the #1 power chains from target to target.

As a general attempt at making the concept work, it was pretty good. The shield drone could have stood to do more, and the ult could probably stand to have some kind of ally buff effect as well as upgrading the other powers.

There are some problems with universal map control though, like penning enemies up behind locked doors to AoE kill or whatever, but I think it would make a good frame to test solutions to that sort of problem and exactly how much control players *can* be given over the map without braking the game.

I like the concept of "Enigma" Warframe for having a "twist of events" (opposite effect) abilities that can be used on the enemies.

[ When reading the description from your comment, I was thinking "Karma" would be a better name for the Warframe than Enigma (Enigma is normally associated with puzzles, which does not apply to this concept design).]

It would be nice to see some of these "fan concepts" brought to the game just for a limited time (trial & error), for other players to experience and able to vote for their favorite to become part of the game officially.

Thank you again for sharing, Tenno.

Edited by xV3NOMx
misworded