Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sortie reward pool: One relatively small tweak, one big improvement

Cray

No, I'm not suggesting we remove Nitain. Just the opposite. Leave it in! It won't be an issue if this suggestion is acted upon.

Let's face it: Some of the Sortie rewards are stirring up a bit of hate, yet there are people out there who want those items. How do we please both sides, without resorting to a token system that either takes away all the rarity or requires you not get rewards for several days while you build up enough tokens? How do you make sure people always get something they want without just throwing free sh#t at them? Like it or not, some items need to be harder to acquire, but how to ensure players don't walk away "empty handed"? Unfortunately, we'll never truly satisfy everyone. Some people just want all the best drops all the time.

But maybe, just maybe, we can relieve some of the stress players are experiencing under this system, especially considering how Pistol Rivens are expected to arrive soon.

My suggestion: A tiered token system. The reward table would consist of 5 entries: (These tokens would not be tradeable, unless DE thinks that's an acceptable prospect, which I'd doubt.)

1. Riven Token - Good for one riven, with the type (rifle, pistol, etc.) being your choice.
  2. Common Token - Good for one of the following: 2k Endo, a normal Lens of your choosing, 3xNitain
  3. Uncommon Token - Good for one of the following: 4k Endo, a Greater Lens of your choosing, Forma
  4. Rare Token - Good for one of the following: Exilus blueprint, Catalyst blueprint, Reactor blueprint (If you ask me, all 3 of these should be fully built, especially the Exilus)
  5. Legendary Token - Good for one of the following: Legendary Core, <Some other items to give players choices. Landing craft parts?>

What's more under such a system, we can now add more rewards without having to worry too much about dilution. Nezha, for instance, could have stayed in Sorties under this system.

And that's pretty much it. You go to your favorite relay, talk to some NPC, and trade the token in for your reward. The system still has RNG, there's still rare stuff, you're still going to have to work to get what you want, but now at least there's some wiggle room in your rewards. Don't want Nitain? Enjoy that Endo. Don't need any more Greater lenses? An extra Forma never hurt anyone.

So, what do you think? Good? Bad? Banana?

Edited by DeltaPhantom

37 minutes ago, DeltaPhantom said:

one small tweak

So when you say 'one small tweak' in the title its referring to an advanced currency based system with a tier system and structured rewards that isn't small or a tweak?  Or did I miss something?

Just now, Xekrin said:

So when you say 'one small tweak' in the title its referring to an advanced currency based system with a tier system and structured rewards that isn't small or a tweak?  Or did I miss something?

So maybe it isn't so small, but yes, the "small" tweak is to have tiered tokens.

I like this idea very much if the Sortie rewards are not changed. It takes into consideration that players need different items. I still need Endo, Lenses, Catalysts and Rivens. For me Formas and Nitain are an unsatisfying reward. But I can understand that Endo or Lenses are useless for others and they would rather get a Forma instead.

There are a thousand different ways how the Sortie rewards could be changed. I personally would like for some of the stuff to be removed and available somewhere else:

• Nitain = A daily mission in addition to the alerts and Sabotage caches. This would be good for people who just play a few hours per day and constantly miss the alerts.
  • Forma = Void, Derelict. Would be a reason to revisit those tilesets.
  • Lenses = Lua. The time delay between finishing The Second Dream quest and The War Within is a problem. Lenses are just rewarded from Sorties atm and are therefore unavailable to everyone who hasn't completed TWW. If the Lenses are available easily enough, the Greater Lenses could even be removed from Sorties too.

Needless to say that the Exilus Adapter and the potatoes should be fully build. A few months back I got a build Exilus Adapter from Sorties and this change is annoying.

9 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

The system is already tiered like he suggested (except having Rivens separated from common), and this could be done without even needing to add tokens simply by making use of the Relic reward system. Once you finish Sortie 3 it rolls the tier and puts the reward options on screen.

Sure actually coding this is more than just some drop chance tweaks or commenting out some items from the list of rewards, but it is a relatively small change.

1 hour ago, DeltaPhantom said:

No, I'm not suggesting we remove Nitain. Just the opposite. Leave it in! It won't be an issue if this suggestion is acted upon.

Let's face it: Some of the Sortie rewards are stirring up a bit of hate, yet there are people out there who want those items. How do we please both sides, without resorting to a token system that either takes away all the rarity or requires you not get rewards for several days while you build up enough tokens? How do you make sure people always get something they want without just throwing free sh#t at them? Like it or not, some items need to be harder to acquire, but how to ensure players don't walk away "empty handed"? Unfortunately, we'll never truly satisfy everyone. Some people just want all the best drops all the time.

But maybe, just maybe, we can relieve some of the stress players are experiencing under this system, especially considering how Pistol Rivens are expected to arrive soon.

My suggestion: A tiered token system. The reward table would consist of 5 entries: (These tokens would not be tradeable, unless DE thinks that's an acceptable prospect, which I'd doubt.)

1. Riven Token - Good for one riven, with the type (rifle, pistol, etc.) being your choice.
  2. Common Token - Good for one of the following: 2k Endo, a normal Lens of your choosing, 3xNitain
  3. Uncommon Token - Good for one of the following: 4k Endo, a Greater Lens of your choosing, Forma
  4. Rare Token - Good for one of the following: Exilus blueprint, Catalyst blueprint, Reactor blueprint (If you ask me, all 3 of these should be fully built, especially the Exilus)
  5. Legendary Token - Good for one of the following: Legendary Core, <Some other items to give players choices. Landing craft parts?>

What's more under such a system, we can now add more rewards without having to worry too much about dilution. Nezha, for instance, could have stayed in Sorties under this system.

And that's pretty much it. You go to your favorite relay, talk to some NPC, and trade the token in for your reward. The system still has RNG, there's still rare stuff, you're still going to have to work to get what you want, but now at least there's some wiggle room in your rewards. Don't want Nitain? Enjoy that Endo. Don't need any more Greater lenses? An extra Forma never hurt anyone.

So, what do you think? Good? Bad? Banana?

i think we have very different definitions of the word "small", but i'm ok with this, banana/10

Edited by (PS4)mr_chainsaw555

Not a bad idea, with one glaring issue.  
For many veterans the common/uncommon tiers offer them absolutely nothing that they would want, or cant get easier elsewhere (in the case of endo).  That is the problem with the current system.

It also doesn't address the issue that some players just don't like to play the higher tiers or don't have the gear to really offer a group much to help in them being done (few players like feeling useless), yet are forced to do all three tiers to see any rewards.

At the end of the day a singular token system is much simpler.  Players can gain 100 'sortie tokens' per day, so DE can cost things at how many days they would like to see it take players to get them.
Tier 1 rewards 20 tokens (would need 3 of these to hit cap)
Tier 2 rewards 30 tokens (would need 3 of these and tier 1, so 4 to cap)
Tier 3 rewards 50 tokens (would cap with this one, meaning 3 missions just like now).
So you have to do a minimum of 3 missions or up to 5 (will also give DE stats as to what missions players like and don't like, to improve sorties overall)

So say DE would like players to only gain;
2000 endo per day; cost it at 100 tokens;
riven mod once per 2 days, cost it at 200 tokens
3x Nitain every 4 days; cost it at 400 tokens
greater lens every 5 days, costing 500 tokens
legendary core every 2 months; 6000 tokens

Done, no RNG, straight forward and players aren't getting rewards or tokens of no real use to them, while playing the past of sorties they actually enjoy or are capable of.  There is plenty of other parts of the game players can get the 'lucky feel', without it being limited to a once per day thing.

Edited by Loswaith

On 12/11/2016 at 4:14 AM, DeltaPhantom said:

-snip-

Tokens would be pointless, if they wanted to give us a choice, they could have done so very easily by just letting us choose from a pool of rewards at the end.

However, I think you have all been corrupted by the ease the "all-so-hated" Relic system has brought upon. The more easy and lenient rewards they create at this point, people will want more and more.