Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt 8.3: Feedback Thread

[DE]Rebecca

overload animation is not new its just longer

I'd noticed.

I was just saying that it's now unacceptable.  As has been mentioned, it's just a "please kill me, I'm immobile and spazzing like all hell" mechanic anyway.  It'd be nice if it didn't spell my doom to use my Uber.  Kinda the reverse of what Uber means.

Probably a timer glitch on the skill.  I hope it's fixed soon.

Edited by Cytobel

Shock: still useless. At least it finally works properly now.

Speed: nerfed for rushing. Solo rush will always be faster than team rush. Buffed for normal melee swing speed slightly, which isn't much of a buff at all.

Overload: cast animation is as long as sound quake, but doesn't stagger in a huge radius. Good way to get yourself killed. Removal of ancient immunities helps it a bit, but ancients were never the target of this skill anyway.

Electric shield: looking forward to the day when this thing works reliably.

This Volt change has been for the worse, significantly. I'm shocked by the amount of people who believe this seems to be a great change. Do you people even understand Volt at all?

Let me explain.

Shock

-went from useless to, almost useless. It's better but not much. Sure it arcs now but it does piss damage to infested and Grineer. Multiple casts (4+)to kill a lv 25 Grineer Lancer is unacceptable. Why? When we have other frames which have outstanding 1's in either damage or utility. Slash Dash, Venom, Rhino Charge, Pull, Decoy, Sonic Boom etc etc. All STILL significantly better than Shock, even with this buff. Perhaps if the stun duration was longer than the cast time, it might have some utility, but as it stands outside of corpus this is still crap. Again this isn't as big of a deal as the next change.

Speed

-this was a major nerf to Volt. This made Volt the fastest class, spending energy to be fast. Now Loki and Ash will outstrip Volt...yet again. I'm not sure how intentional this was but the momentum from wall runs transferred into the jump made Volt able to cross large distance and reach very high ledges. I can do that less now. There was absolutely nothing wrong with how speed was before. The entire argument that volt could rush through the level is a design oversight for the overall game, not for his ability. If anything Loki can rush ahead almost as quick, i don't see his base speed or switch teleport getting stomped. The melee bonus is nice but it feels out of place. I don't see how Volt plays as a melee character. Speed was either for mobility, and utility, or if you can react quickly meatshot things as you run by. Speed was one ability that really set Volt apart from the rest and now it gets slammed into the ground because he has mobility edge over other teammates. Redesign game modes and tile layouts if you want to stop rushing. This just made Volt that much more worse.

-There is also a bug that it doesn't last as long as it's supposed to.

Electric Shield

-not quite sure if this is bugged or whatnot, but the entire idea for this ability did not need any changes whatsoever. Provide cover while being able to shoot through. Great utility. I hope to see the day when this works properly.

Overload:

-or I wanna die button now. If you don't absolutely slaughter everything in the area you can quite easily drop. Focus fire from Grineer? Check! Swarmed by ancients and infested? Check. Only corpus you will crush, but its not like you didn't do that before. Overload at least wasn't as much of a risk as it is now.

Again, Volt needs to be looked over again, because this made it worse, not better.

I theorized over what I would've seen as an ideal buff (before this announcement), and for Speed it would've been less Depth of Field effects, a not-too-high chance of deflecting bullets back to their shooters, in tandem with a base speed buff. This would give volt some more protection when "going in", as well as passively soften up the enemies because of the deflecting, fitting the "alternative to normal combat"-label perfectly. But oh well...

And see, this is much better than a nerf-skill-to-group-buff idea.  It would mean the whole Speed thing would stay mostly the same, but actually get something more out of it.  As it stood, the Speed was only useful for the group in a handful of situations in which a party was divided for some reason.  Now it's a generic "Charge them!" command.  Volt isn't a command-type 'Frame, so why should he get a leader move now?

It just lacks focus.

Volt was my second favortie Frame *before* 8.3. When they said they were looking at Volt I was sure they were going to nerf him to uselessness inthe name of the all mighty 'balance'. Thank you so much for proving me wrong, the new Volt has shortened the already narrow gap between himself and my all time favorite Loki.

Shock

-went from useless to, almost useless. It's better but not much. Sure it arcs now but it does &!$$ damage to infested and Grineer. Multiple casts (4+)to kill a lv 25 Grineer Lancer is unacceptable. Why? When we have other frames which have outstanding 1's in either damage or utility. Slash Dash, Venom, Rhino Charge, Pull, Decoy, Sonic Boom etc etc. All STILL significantly better than Shock, even with this buff. Perhaps if the stun duration was longer than the cast time, it might have some utility, but as it stands outside of corpus this is still crap. Again this isn't as big of a deal as the next change.

This is the nerf to Electrical damage as a whole, not just to a Volt skill.  Electric damage is the most useless type right now, and I haven't seen that being addressed by any of the Hotfixes.

Speed

-this was a major nerf to Volt. This made Volt the fastest class, spending energy to be fast. Now Loki and Ash will outstrip Volt...yet again. I'm not sure how intentional this was but the momentum from wall runs transferred into the jump made Volt able to cross large distance and reach very high ledges. I can do that less now. There was absolutely nothing wrong with how speed was before. The entire argument that volt could rush through the level is a design oversight for the overall game, not for his ability. If anything Loki can rush ahead almost as quick, i don't see his base speed or switch teleport getting stomped. The melee bonus is nice but it feels out of place. I don't see how Volt plays as a melee character. Speed was either for mobility, and utility, or if you can react quickly meatshot things as you run by. Speed was one ability that really set Volt apart from the rest and now it gets slammed into the ground because he has mobility edge over other teammates. Redesign game modes and tile layouts if you want to stop rushing. This just made Volt that much more worse.

-There is also a bug that it doesn't last as long as it's supposed to.

I mostly agree.  I just don't think a speed boost is the answer.  The Speed skill needs to be pulled.  It wasn't the right skill before (apparently), so how does a nerf and group effect tweak make anything better?  The melee swing speed is like putting frosting on a used condom.  No amount of frosting makes that condom any more edible.  Pushing melee swing up to the max cap isn't the answer if you die faster because you're in the wrong part of combat w/o supporting abilities.

Speed is now for other players, and screw the one who has to actually equip and spend valuable energy on it.

Electric Shield

-not quite sure if this is bugged or whatnot, but the entire idea for this ability did not need any changes whatsoever. Provide cover while being able to shoot through. Great utility. I hope to see the day when this works properly.

Agreed.

Overload:

-or I wanna die button now. If you don't absolutely slaughter everything in the area you can quite easily drop. Focus fire from Grineer? Check! Swarmed by ancients and infested? Check. Only corpus you will crush, but its not like you didn't do that before. Overload at least wasn't as much of a risk as it is now.

Again, I agree.  I think this is a bug on the levitate timer.  If it's not, then I just lost my only real move on the 'Frame.  I can't throw this move without clearing the room first to ensure that I survive tossing Uber.  Isn't that kind of the opposite order of operations?  I thought you toss your Uber to clear a room so that you survive.

Urgh.  Can't believe this, but I miss the old Shock.  Fixing that one move seems to have spurred messing up the other most used ones, and it's still not killing anything like it should.  What gives?

Now Vauban and Frost have to battle it out for the title of main.  I think Volt just got relegated to the scrapheap of nerfed uselessness.  It's a shame too, as this was the first 'Frame I ever owned in-game, and it was the factor that drew me into the game to begin with.

He'll balance out if electric damage is allowed to do more than mildly irratate anything other than the Corpus (and the "shoot me, I'm just a HUGE target" thing is fixed.

Edited by Cytobel

Urgh.  Can't believe this, but I miss the old Shock.  Fixing that one move seems to have spurred messing up the other most used ones, and it's still not killing anything like it should.  What gives?

I do have to say i noticed shock one shotting level 40 crewman and even higher level moa and osprey, and the chain has a stupid range. Shock and volt in general would be better but electric damage is just meh on things that aren't corpus

Was excited when I saw the thread title, as Volt is my only frame, but now I'm a bit sad after reading the replies..

SHOCK: The changes seem nice, atleast it's a step in the right direction.

SPEED: Well, now I'll have to give up killing & looting since I now need to focus on not being left behind. 

ELECTRIC SHIELD: Kinda sad Volt still has the skill, was hoping for a replacement skill to help with Volt's dream of become a high-damage alternative to guns.

OVERLOAD: Seems like the animation just needs to be fixed.

Man, hopefully this'll all get sorted out.

Edited by Flackenstien

I do have to say i noticed shock one shotting level 40 crewman and even higher level moa and osprey, and the chain has a stupid range. Shock and volt in general would be better but electric damage is just meh on things that aren't corpus

You're correct.  It kills Corpus just fine, but then that wasn't the issue with it before.  And I do like the chaining. Maybe Shock is more in line with other "elemental caster"-type 'Frames now.  I don't play Ember, and I haven't gotten the blueprints necessary to build a Saryn, so I can't say.  And Frost's 1 move is more a lockdown than a damage move, so I can't get a feel for number balance here.

Okay. Speed. Some picks from the thread:

just tested:  speed is imo his best ability now.

I like the change to speed because now everyone can be annoyed at the FOV change.

gonna take time for my friends to get used to.

they always run into walls / fall down platforms whenever i used it.

The visual effect on Speed needs to change.  I had a Volt in my party spamming it and it makes precise aiming much more difficult.  The zoom level gets pulled back and the mouse sensitivity gets changed as a result making snap shots have a totally different feel.

= the sudden Field of View change needs to be changed atleast. Personally I don't want a volt in my squad with this current change.

Was excited when I saw the thread title, as Volt is my only frame, but now I'm a bit sad after reading the replies..

● SHOCK: The changes seem nice, atleast it's a step in the right direction.

● SPEED: Well, now I'll have to give up killing & looting since I now need to focus on not being left behind.

● ELECTRIC SHIELD: Kinda sad Volt still has the skill, was hoping for a replacement skill to help with Volt's dream of become a high-damage alternative to guns.

● OVERLOAD: Seems like the animation just needs to be fixed.

Man, hopefully this'll all get sorted out.

I think you're not the only one hoping for a sorting-out. Oh, and by now we just need to accept that the whole "alternative to gunplay" thing is a lie. Volt isn't about speed or damage now, so he brings nothing to the fight other than his weapons load out. I suggest new players use ANY OTHER 'FRAME. This one just doesn't hold up. That may change, but don't believe the "alternative" label. Until electricity is turning out damage to things other than Corpus he won't stand a chance of living up to that label.

Edited by Cytobel

Someone notice that you can't shoot behind eletric shield anymore ? Plese Fix it, shoot behind the shield is pretty usefull 

Thats a bug.  It happens off-and-on for some, and all the time for others.

At least I hope it's still a bug, and not a permanent feature.  That would render Volt utterly useless as anything put a buff-boat, and a horrible one at that.  I bet we see more fixes tomorrow on this.

Alright, I've tested him more.

- Overload hang-time is either a warframe-breaking nerf, or a hideous glitch.  I can't tell which.

- Speed melee swing speed buff is based off the base speed of the weapon before Fury mod is calculated.  This means that Speed has lost potency, without any gain to the player.  It buffs other 'Frames, but that doesn't help Volt turn out damage in proportion to the energy cost.  Ditch the move, re-Forma the slot for Steel Fiber.  With as much time as you're getting wailed on now (thank you, Overload), you need the defence.

- Electric Shield is just the same, I think.  I got some shots through, but it blocked others.  It needs fixing still.

- Shock is much better.  It still suffers from being Electric damage, but what can you do, right?

Overall, his best skills were broken.  He has a 1 button that finally sort of does something (read: kills Corpus), his 2 button buffs other people (for 50 energy base, not worth it), his 3 move gives you some cover (while blocking your own shots intermittently), and his Uber is suicidal.

Horray.  :p

Edited by Cytobel

Volt's Shock is amazing to use. Very balanced in the sense that you only want to use it in a group,otherwise you're not maximizing your damage output. Also has a limit to how many enemies it can kill, so it's not going to replace your Overload.
Speed is now taking back its place in my loadout. I used to simply swap it out for a Rush mod, but now it has positive effects for your team.
Overload is kinda yes kinda no. It's still the same Overload as before, and the DOT is great, but being damaged by enemies whilst using it is kinda annoying at times, especially when the electric stun doesn't stun them long enough for the next tick (which allows the enemy to attack you). Increased casting time add to this. Still, it's a great ult. 

Edited by JimJam_

Again, Volt needs to be looked over again, because this made it worse, not better.

Volt is *supposed* to be a specialized Corpus specific Frame. If you're using him against the Grineer or Infested you're using him wrong, That's why he was taken out of the starting line up, becasue he's not an all around frame. Think of him as a resistance mod, except you'd actually *use* Volt sometimes.

Edited by Neuhnee

Speed is now taking back its place in my loadout. I used to simply swap it out for a Rush mod, but now it has positive effects for your team.

I'm glad to see someone disagreeing with the "new Speed is worthless" verdict.  I think its a major waste of time and energy now, but others thought that before the change.  It doesn't feel like a worthwhile use of energy right now.  50 energy for a 50% speed boost.  Whoop-de-doo.  Slight melee attack speed bonus.  Oh joy.  The thing that got my attention was the fact that it helps your teammates too.  I think that's a nice idea, but I'd rather use 50 energy for killing foes that are hurting teammates rather than making other players disoriented as hell and angry with me for killing them.

Sidenote: Speed is now an amazing tool for griefing.  Just wait for someone to try to jump a ledge, then boost them off into oblivion.

THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING.

Still, it's nice to see someone thinking that buffing other players is a good focus for a damage-output 'Frame.  It adds variety to the ideas for developing each of the playable classes past stereotypical boundaries set by the MMO's of the past.

Sir, I disagree with you, but I'm happy you looked to the team benefit before making a call.  It's good to have somebody like you in the community.

If Volts shield doesn't get fixed and allow me to resume my hitscan with my Dera, I will seriously quit this game.............. All that time to craft then waste money to rush builds on all resources plus build for Dera just to use my shield for hitscan, then it get removed -_- 

That 'X to Hitscan' was a bug. It was an exploit that has been fixed. However, now NO bullets go through it. SO it's broken in another direction.

Volt is *supposed* to be a specialized Corpus specific Frame. If you're using him against the Grineer or Infested you're using him wrong, That's why he was taken out of the starting line up, becasue he's not an all around frame. Think of him as a resistance mod, except you'd actually *use* Volt sometimes.

Ah, so he should be useless at least 66% of the time.  Hmmm, why didn't the rest of us see that before now?  Lolz.

Sarcasm aside, you're probably correct at the present.  Using him against non-Corpus is suicidal.  Then again, I don't remember him baing billed as a failure against everything that isn't robotic.  What I'm trying to say is that no Warframe should be utter crap against most of the enemies, and God vs the remainder.  That spells bad balance and a broken character option.

P.S. any character that can be screwed by a random enemy-type shift in a level is not playable.  And it isn't as if Frost suffers the same drawbacks.  Or Saryn.  Or even Ember, for christ's sake.  Just Volt.  The others can adapt to multiple enemy types.  Volt can't.  "Stick to Corpus or don't play if he's your only 'Frame" isn't the answer, it's just a symptom of his problems.

If you couldn't tell, this is irratating me far more than it should.  It's just another stupid game, after all is said and done.

Edited by Cytobel

Ah, so he should be useless at least 66% of the time.  Hmmm, why didn't the rest of us see that before now?  Lolz.

Sarcasm aside, you're probably correct at the present.  Using him against non-Corpus is suicidal.  Then again, I don't remember him baing billed as a failure against everything that isn't robotic.  What I'm trying to say is that no Warframe should be utter crap against most of the enemies, and God vs the remainder.  That spells bad balance and a broken character option.

P.S. any character that can be screwed by a random enemy-type shift in a level is not playable.  And it isn't as if Frost suffers the same drawbacks.  Or Saryn.  Or even Ember, for christ's sake.  Just Volt.  The others can adapt to multiple enemy types.  Volt can't.  "Stick to Corpus or don't play if he's your only 'Frame" isn't the answer, it's just a symptom of his problems.

If you couldn't tell, this is irratating me far more than it should.  It's just another stupid game, after all is said and done.

Not entirely correct. Whilst I agree the resistances against electricity is generally too high, this is not a Volt issue. Before this disastrous excuse for a buff, we had the shield that would amplify our damage output, as well as enable us to tank most bosses/hordes and hordes of Grineer head on, even though Volt only has 50 armour. Then there was Speed, which enabled us to move a lot more freely across the map than any other Warframe. Of course, now that's a different matter. 

On the other hand Saryn -which is supposed to be a middle ground elemental, doing decent damage to every faction- out DPS's me against Corpus... Hm... (I'm comparing skill n.4's here)

Edited by Ratiasu

That 'X to Hitscan' was a bug. It was an exploit that has been fixed. However, now NO bullets go through it. SO it's broken in another direction.

The fact of the matter is that the basis for the entire strategy was around this 'exploit'. Most weapons are hitscan. Making one of them so is a clever tactic, and if it was a glitch before, it should be made into an actual thing now.

Edited by Illuminatus51

Not entirely correct. Whilst I agree the resistances against electricity is generally too high, this is not a Volt issue. Before this disastrous excuse for a buff, we had the shield that would amplify our damage output, as well as enable us to tank most bosses/hordes and hordes of Grineer head on, even though Volt only has 50 armour. Then there was Speed, which enabled us to move a lot more freely across the map than any other Warframe. Of course, now that's a different matter. 

Please forgive my inability to communicate.  I meant to say that as of 8.3 he is not a viable warframe.  He used to be acceptable, although his Shock did nothing.  And I've said before it was the electrical resistance to blame for most of the Volt woes, rather than out and out bad mechanics.  The bad mechanics are a thing as of today.  He was limited but good when I played him before 8.3, and now he's just weak.

Basically, his damage element is the weakest one possible, his utility is sidegraded, and his Uber turns him into a target.  He is broken, and the "buffs" he recieved are to blame (with the exception of Shock, which works now).

Heck, Frost is now better against Corpus, because his Snow Globe makes most of them ineffective.  Ember can pop armor to tank, and Saryn presses 4 to delete face.  Volt just levitates in one spot, eating shots from enemies too distant to be hit by Overload, and then goes down to a sniper.  And that's just against Corpus.  Action vs Infested leads to unfortunate dealings with tentacles and orifices; the Grineer just mow him down if he Ubers.  He's forced to hide behind a shield that only occasionally does what it's supposed to do and buff other players.

To think that I used to solo with him against things on par to his level...

Edited by Cytobel