Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[UI: QoL Suggestion] Label individual colours in Colour Palettes

Blakrana

Greetings. Should this thread be in the wrong place, please relocate as appropriate.

The issue I wish to discuss is that the Colour Palettes provide no supporting information to what specific colour we are selecting or using beyond simply looking at it. As a Colour-blind player this thus renders it difficult to truly take advantage of the wealth of colours available, needing another person to volunteer correction and assistance just to set up a desired colour scheme. Considering the ongoing changes that have been undertaken to address Colourblind players and the accessibility of the game's features, I feel this is becoming increasingly relevant as those efforts proceed.

In response to this problem then, I believe that an optional functionality to allow us to see a colour name label for the currently highlighted/selected Cell in a palette, would not only improve the usability of the palettes, but also reduce the need to ask for a 'colour check' every time we delve into a new colour scheme. Due to customisation not being necessarily core Gameplay (Chroma's energy passive notwithstanding), I thus wish to stress this would be a solely Quality of Life improvement, but much welcomed all the same. Furthermore, such an option would not only benefit Colourblind players, but indeed anyone who has difficulty with distinguishing between the palettes' offerings, much like the Locker patterns and Mod rarity stars.

For the sake of visual aid, I've created a PDF (WIP) as a proof of concept using the Colorblind Assistant app to identify the individual colours used in each palette; whilst there is yet room to improve visually and naming wise due the heavy repetition, hopefully it at least demonstrates a way to improve the information we are given by each palette compared to how they stand currently. I am more than willing to acknowledge that there are still better ways to display such information, in particular the commonly used 'Hover label' method as found in most software and indeed this forum when selecting Font colour, and it is that system in particular I'd like to argue in favour of as it would be both largely unobtrusive and would mitigate legibility issues, able to take the space as needed per individual name.

Thank you for your time, consideration and patience.

2 hours ago, BetaDude40 said:

I think having that many details on the palettes would become confusing and cluttered very quickly. Just hovering the mouse over the color and displaying a Hex sign would be decent enough. If needed, one could just use the Hex sign to learn the other details.

The PDF lists all values just for the sake of completeness than 'include everything'.

The specific idea for Labels in palettes would be to employ the Name of the colour as a Hex string still requires third party resources, though in an ideal scenario putting the optional filter so it'd provide the label one wants would be best: So, Colour Labels=Yes, then sub menu for Name, RGB or Hex.

But the core idea is 'Hover over colour, label comes up saying Red/Blue/whatever' and anything else is just a bonus.