Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Banshee/Dread 2 Billion Crit

Shifty9

2 hours ago, Shifty9 said:

I just got one for the exact number in the other "famous" banshee dread kill of 2,147,483,520 (no negative). Pretty sure the plus one over the max 32 bit integer that we both got has to do with two's compliment so yep, to napkin math we go..

Why not simply make HP and life pools 64 bit integers?  This may be hard is impossible but I personally have no idea

2 minutes ago, Irixa said:

Haha forgot the other details too so here: 8 level 70 brood mothers and spammed 7 sonars from atop the pillar right in front of where they spawn, then killed them all. Gotten 2,147,483,520 like 20 times but no damage cap again... yet. Will try more tomorrow because I accidentally deleted the video of it xD

6 hours ago, MillbrookWest said:

Truthfully, Sonar shouldn't really need to be adjusted. You need the stars to align, and then have a bit of luck, to pull off these kinds of numbers. I main banshee myself and repeating this isn't exactly a walk in the park. So there's no real need to nerf her, as getting numbers like this in the wild is incredibly hard.

Tell that to my Volt who used to be able to stack hitscan crits through shields into the millions.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

On 12/13/2016 at 3:20 PM, Arniox said:

Why not simply make HP and life pools 64 bit integers?  This may be hard is impossible but I personally have no idea

There's kinda no point. You need to bend over backwards to reach these numbers. Achieving it in your normal regular play is quite difficult (not impossible). So with that in mind, there is no need to dedicate any resources to it, it can merely benefit from the natural progression of the engine as (if we're honest) it's not critical to the way you play.

There is also the fact that DE itself would need to sort out some issues with having 64bit values in their 32bit engine, as that is all some people are capable of running the game in.

Also, 64bit values would be highly overkill just for the odd rouge damage spike value. You would get the 'correct' value for your damage output, but it would be a fraction of the actual values you could represent. Whereas 32bits max out at ~5billion(unsigned), 64bits max out at ~18 Quintillion... So yeah, we might get 10 billion if all the stars align and have leprechauns sitting on every squad members shoulder, but that is still insignificant to the data range you get from 64bits.

On 12/13/2016 at 5:37 PM, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Tell that to my Volt who used to be able to stack hitscan crits through shields into the millions.

Banshee is a lot less reliable than that though. You need to actually hit the sonar spots to cause an effect. It's not a free gift of millions of damage. As i said above, you kinda need to bend over backwards a bit if you want really high numbers. For the general run of play, you'll likely see a few million every now and then, and if you can't aim for S#&$ (Miragulor), it's basically wasted. 

Edited by MillbrookWest

21 hours ago, MillbrookWest said:

There's kinda no point. You need to bend over backwards to reach these numbers. Achieving it in your normal regular play is quite difficult (not impossible). So with that in mind, there is no need to dedicate any resources to it, it can merely benefit from the natural progression of the engine as (if we're honest) it's not critical to the way you play.

There is also the fact that DE itself would need to sort out some issues with having 64bit values in their 32bit engine, as that is all some people are capable of running the game in.

Also, 64bit values would be highly overkill just for the odd rouge damage spike value. You would get the 'correct' value for your damage output, but it would be a fraction of the actual values you could represent. Whereas 32bits max out at ~5billion(unsigned), 64bits max out at ~18 Quintillion... So yeah, we might get 10 billion if all the stars align and have leprechauns sitting on every squad members shoulder, but that is still insignificant to the data range you get from 64bits.

Banshee is a lot less reliable than that though. You need to actually hit the sonar spots to cause an effect. It's not a free gift of millions of damage. As i said above, you kinda need to bend over backwards a bit if you want really high numbers. For the general run of play, you'll likely see a few million every now and then, and if you can't aim for S#&$ (Miragulor), it's basically wasted. 

"Miragulor" xD

On 2016. 12. 13. at 3:20 AM, Arniox said:

On 2016. 12. 14. at 7:31 AM, MillbrookWest said:

Also, 64bit values would be highly overkill just for the odd rouge damage spike value.

Or DE could use unsigned int values, because the negative ones aren't used

Unless when an enemy takes damage, it calculates the new health value, and the enemy dies if it is negative.
When using unsigned values, it should compare the HP with the incoming damage first, decide if the enemy is killed or not, and if not, calculate the new value.

So it is not hard to program, can use all 32 bit to display the damage number, but I have no idea which code runs faster (important with high fire rate weapons and hordes of enemies on low-end PC-s)

On 12/12/2016 at 11:51 PM, Shifty9 said:

Ok I looked it up and 2,147,483,647 is the maximum positive number for a 32 bit integer and the number I got is exactly 1 higher than that (which coincides with how two's compliment works). But I'm still not 100% sure if my actual damage exceeds 2,147,483,648 and I just broke the game so it literally can't show anything higher than that.

It doesnt have to be the exact same number, it can exceed by a little

On 12/14/2016 at 7:31 PM, MillbrookWest said:

very true. And a funny example :P

They could simply cap all damage at 1 digit before that maximum value of 32 bit integers.

8 hours ago, holysnir said:

i just mean that if it exceeds by 1 or 2, it might be because of a bad calculation or the pc is doing something it isnt supposed to

It didn't make a bad calculation. 2,147,483,647 is the exact number of which a signed 32 bit integer can reach. Anything above that appears as -2,147,483,648 because of what someone else mentioned (two's compliment).