Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My personal Apology to the Fans

IgnusDei

15 minutes ago, C3-BANAKANI said:

hahaha Never expected to see the Kojima drama in Warframe. Has DE fallen so low to Konami level? (Hope I will not get banned for this comment)

There's just a little bit of difference between "concept artist on contract" and "lead franchise designer."

6 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

What sucks is that most of the DE deluxe skins are rather meh, honestly. Excalibur Proto wasn't exactly gorgeous, Nxy's Deluxe looked bad, Saryn's Deluxe looked like a deformed orchid, Nova's Deluxe looked like a fly monster thing... And chroma's upcoming deluxe is kinda meh. All in all, De doesn't have a particularly flawless track record when it comes to their deluxe skins.

Chroma's Deluxe skin doesn't look bad at all - in fact I think it looks pretty good. It does make me crave for lobster, for some reason ;p

As for Saryn's Deluxe skin, I'd ask all of you not to let this whole thing sour you against purchasing it if you like it: Sean Bigham's work is pretty awesome. That goes for Chroma, too. Love it? Buy it!

56 minutes ago, C3-BANAKANI said:

hahaha Never expected to see the Kojima drama in Warframe. Has DE fallen so low to Konami level? (Hope I will not get banned for this comment)

...Wait, does that make me Hideo Kojima in this comparison? Because as flattering as that is, I just want it on the record that I'm nowhere near as brilliant as Kojima. :nerd: Heck, I'm not even a game designer.

On 12/17/2016 at 5:08 PM, SicSlaver said:

I noticed and adamantly complained about how they missed it in their modelling and attention to that detail. I don't understand how they don't even notice her dress is supposed to be torn and should have kept that theme going for the back of her dress as well. I can understand your frustration.

That's actually something I've been meaning to address: that's actually my fault. I sent in a sketch of her back with an intact skirt that appeared symmetrical but wind-swept.

Edited by IgnusDei

I feel sad about the whole situation. 

Yes creative differences and points of view will clash in life. But the universe that we have now has evolved and grown with each new layer adding something and changing something. 

What ignus designs did was break the mold, break out in new ideas and new directions, directions that Mynki or the others had not even considered.

I am sure that these new ideas have rubbed off and created ripplewffects on many fronts.

The fact that Rhino palatine have Lore that revealed that the best and most trusted Tenno were honored to work as Temple Guardians for the Orokin, expanded what warframes are and how they are used and built.

As a fan of Lore this is really cool, and that aside both Oberon and Ash changed to a fantastic extent.

Remember that this is a game of very weird and awesome designs that just keeps pushing forward.

I hope this break  can be mended one day, ignus. I really do.

8 hours ago, DefekteDelfin said:

This post is full of assumptions that may not even be true.

For all we know, Ignus could have been the one in the wrong. Maybe Ignus was verbally abusing DE over this, maybe DE was overreacting by firing him. No one knows and theres no need for assumptions.

Saying that DE feels threatened by Ignus is just false and asinine. Why would a team of artists that created things like "Orokin moon, Kuva fortress, The Primes, the void, 100+ weapons, enemies like the manic, scrambus, ospret etc. Grineer forest, sealab etc. Etc." Be scared of someone they hired to create a few extra skins?

Everyone has different opinions. I personally love the Saryn Orphis skin. I dont like the upcoming frost skin, but its my opinion and i wont go around saying "Nobody likes the frost deluxe skin"

Or

"The orphid skin is widely regarded as one of the best skins"

From my perspective, the changes DE made were 100% justified. The head blade might look bad but its there to keep the "ember has a mohawk" theme. The Skirt is there to balance the sides. Having one side be extremely detailed and the other side be essentially plain white looks bad in 3D and is extremely unbalanced. The blunting of the spikes was to reduce the amount of faces on the skin so modelling would be easier.

Changes have to be made so the skins can be turned from a 2D design to a 3D model. Most of Ignus's art is ambitious and either dont use the same body type in game, or have impossible features like tons of spikes and torn dresses.

To address your last point, stop making assumptions and treating the assumptions as facts. You are making DE out to be evil insecure villians and Ignus to be a poor artist who is being trampled.

To show you how ridiculous your assumptions sound, i will make some up as well but targetting Ignus instead of DE.

"Jeez Ignus, why did you throw a tantrum over DE adding small stuff to the skin? You could have discussed like adults but you chose to argue over email. Good job losing your job over Small stuff"

Tl;dr Dont make assumptions

I know I will get flack over this, but, the manic was a fan creation that was completely and totally ripped right off of the artistic page and placed firmly into the game, all artistic assets intact. While it's largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, I still want to correct this mainly because. . . well. . . actually. . . where was Igo AHA! Because it provides an excellent example of when customer-to-corporate interaction works! I really wanna remember the creator's name, just so I can ask them how things worked out with them and Digital and compare it to Mr. Fire God's (Thankfully, he appears to still be with us, thank you sir!) current experience. Was the tussle ongoing, or spur of the moment? Was it something specifically about his breed of art, some manner of shape or form that grated against Digital's eyes where the manic maker just so randomly made a choice that synchronized extremely well with Mr. . . uh. . . Myniki, there it is, Mr. Myniki's own.

I would love to have every single detail laid out before me (given my friendlessness and quant ability to forget large blocks of information at random, whatever corporate secrets that might be divulged would likely get shoved between the newspaper and wet tuna that is my mind or go straight into the paper shredder that is neural overridance). However, seeing as Digital likely has the equipment on hand to peruse anyone's private message bins and that I am a terrifying stranger with a disjointed stream of consciousness writing  style, I doubt anyone would consent to tell me anything, so,. . . uh. . . yeah. 

I am. . . so sorry.

Edited by Unus
Double quotation remorse= achieved.

6 hours ago, DefekteDelfin said:

This post is full of assumptions that may not even be true.

For all we know, Ignus could have been the one in the wrong. Maybe Ignus was verbally abusing DE over this, maybe DE was overreacting by firing him. No one knows and theres no need for assumptions.

Saying that DE feels threatened by Ignus is just false and asinine. Why would a team of artists that created things like "Orokin moon, Kuva fortress, The Primes, the void, 100+ weapons, enemies like the manic, scrambus, ospret etc. Grineer forest, sealab etc. Etc." Be scared of someone they hired to create a few extra skins?

Everyone has different opinions. I personally love the Saryn Orphis skin. I dont like the upcoming frost skin, but its my opinion and i wont go around saying "Nobody likes the frost deluxe skin"

Or

"The orphid skin is widely regarded as one of the best skins"

From my perspective, the changes DE made were 100% justified. The head blade might look bad but its there to keep the "ember has a mohawk" theme. The Skirt is there to balance the sides. Having one side be extremely detailed and the other side be essentially plain white looks bad in 3D and is extremely unbalanced. The blunting of the spikes was to reduce the amount of faces on the skin so modelling would be easier.

Changes have to be made so the skins can be turned from a 2D design to a 3D model. Most of Ignus's art is ambitious and either dont use the same body type in game, or have impossible features like tons of spikes and torn dresses.

To address your last point, stop making assumptions and treating the assumptions as facts. You are making DE out to be evil insecure villians and Ignus to be a poor artist who is being trampled.

To show you how ridiculous your assumptions sound, i will make some up as well but targetting Ignus instead of DE.

"Jeez Ignus, why did you throw a tantrum over DE adding small stuff to the skin? You could have discussed like adults but you chose to argue over email. Good job losing your job over Small stuff"

Tl;dr Dont make assumptions

It's rather hypocritical and ironic you should say all that.. because you're making assumptions in your post. Two stand out.

1. That Ignus is a childish, unprofessional idiot and completely in the wrong here and DE is the victim here. You don't know what either party has said to each other at all. You didn't read their emails or hear their phone convos (or whatever medium they communicated with). No one knows exactly what was said and done. You don't know what kind of people Ignus and whoever he dealt with really are. All we know is what we've been told and infer based on that. Ignus hasn't said much on this issue - a good idea I may add - except to say "X happened and I apologize to you guys because I can't do this anymore." But even that little thing speaks volumes. He feels bad about the situation and how it has and will affect everyone and kept low key about it. He could easily drag DE through the mud with whatever details - but has clearly chosen not to.

DE? They haven't said squat. Mind you they don't have to - that's their prerogative. But their silence also speaks volumes.

Ignus came out and said he butted heads with DE...and they butted back harder. He even admitted that he's passionate about his work and that he could have possibly handled it better. He's a freelance artist, so it's a given that DE's not the only client he's done business with (check out his DeviantArt page - some of that artwork's for book covers he was commissioned to do). As such, he ought to know a thing or two about how to engage with deal with clients of varying temperaments and tastes. And I'm sure he's aware of how to give the client what they want while at the same time offering his own suggestions while being civil

I feel what happened here is a clash of minds - that of an artist and their vision, trying to make a client happy and trying to earn a living doing so, and that of a client with a large but fragile ego that feels threatened by someone with possibly enviable skill and style. Oh I agree that Ignus could have probably handled that situation better...I don't what exactly went down of course...but it takes two to tango. Even though Ignus rubbed someone at DE the wrong way, they should have had the maturity to step back and let cooler heads prevail. Instead, a talented artist - whose work the community has liked and helped make DE a bit more money I may add - got thrown under the bus. And for what? Petty stubbornness? A sense of jealousy? Who knows. But he was definitely thrown under the bus.

DE really shot themselves in the foot here. The sheer amount of salt being generated by this one thread here - and on Reddit - is proof of that.

2. That everyone defending Ignus are nothing more than unreasonable DE haters who are posting knee-jerk reactions. You know...whatever. Believe what you want to believe. Your mind's already made up.

That being said, your bias against Ignus / for DE really shows mate. At least have the decency to try and play Devil's Advocate and try to look at both sides.

6 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I could never understand how a fanbase can build such a disdain for the creators of the product they are a fan of. And it's not just WF either. It's a weird phenomenon. 

The very reason you are here is because of the creators and artist and the choices they made when creating this game. This isn't your product, its theirs. How can people act like they don't know what they're doing?

You're either terribly naïve or you refuse to admit that the game dev studio you love so much is incapable of doing wrong.

Here's a pro-tip: It happens. Don't take my word for it though...Have a look at Digital Extreme's entry on Glassdoor.com. The comments by present and ex-employees there speak volumes of the kind of work environment that employees have and have had to deal with. They speak of bad communication. An "Old Boy's Club" mentality. Big egos and inflexible attitudes. That's it's not a good place for an artist to work for. 

What makes you think that Ignus is incapable of realizing that the concept art he's doing is for someone's else's product? You think he's some stupid kid or something? He's clearly done professional-level commission work before DE. People like Ignus know all about having to compromise their vision to make a client happy.

Also, if DE is so perfect...why would they contract a freelance artist to do conceptual work? Answer: Because their art department was running out of ideas. Not so perfect eh?

To Ignus, your work with DE will be missed. You contributed much to the community. It's a shame you and DE couldn't get along in the end, but all things considered, it was probably for the best. It's regrettable that bridges were burned here and things ended on as sour a note as they did.I wish you luck in your future ventures and hope you can find a company that you can really work with well. Your talent as an artist and ability to make a person's vision come alive is undeniable.

21 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

It's rather hypocritical and ironic you should say all that.. because you're making assumptions in your post. -

He could easily drag DE through the mud with whatever details - but has clearly chosen not to.

And I'm sure he's aware of how to give the client what they want while at the same time offering his own suggestions while being civil

I feel what happened here is a clash of minds - that of an artist and their vision, trying to make a client happy and trying to earn a living doing so, and that of a client with a large but fragile ego that feels threatened by someone with possibly enviable skill and style.

Even though Ignus rubbed someone at DE the wrong way, they should have had the maturity to step back and let cooler heads prevail. Instead, a talented artist - whose work the community has liked and helped make DE a bit more money I may add - got thrown under the bus. And for what? Petty stubbornness? A sense of jealousy? Who knows. But he was definitely thrown under the bus.

2. That everyone defending Ignus are nothing more than unreasonable DE haters who are posting knee-jerk reactions. You know...whatever. Believe what you want to believe. Your mind's already made up.

You're either terribly naïve or you refuse to admit that the game dev studio you love so much is incapable of doing wrong.

What makes you think that Ignus is incapable of realizing that the concept art he's doing is for someone's else's product? You think he's some stupid kid or something? He's clearly done professional-level commission work before DE. People like Ignus know all about having to compromise their vision to make a client happy.

Also, if DE is so perfect...why would they contract a freelance artist to do conceptual work? Answer: Because their art department was running out of ideas. Not so perfect eh?

We sure do live in an ironic world eh?

- At least have the decency to try and play Devil's Advocate and try to look at both sides.

Huh...

Disregarding my snark, I do believe you are being fairly unreasonable in your reply that clearly is perpetuating the issue in this discussion.

Edited by Goodwill

3 hours ago, VxeR said:

To people saying that they rounded the spikes to decrease polygon count, take a look at palatine then come back... Those spikes are nothing

Err... even the Palatine was streamlined compared to the original concept. Albeit not as much due to already being fairly optimized outside of a few outliers. Disregarding the spikes, the detail in the armor is mostly texture and the polygons are used for the silhouette of the model rather than the detail. Warframe is one of the few games I think really abuse the use of normal and bump mapping (which I think is awesome, looks cool most of the time but other times can look out of place).

I guess I should have been paying closer attention, but I had no idea that all my favorite deluxe skins were made by the same artist, freelance at that. I swear, I have bought all your deluxe skins, and the only other one I own is the Excalibur Proto. Truely, your work will be missed. I have absolutely no doubt you will find great success in whatever you decide to tackle next. Yours is truely a rare talent, and honestly, I'd be possessive as hell over my work too, if I was in your shoes! With luck, maybe the certain decrease in deluxe skin sales will encourage some fence mending in a few months......

11 minutes ago, Goodwill said:

-snip-

Interesting that you needed to cherry pick my post there to try and make a point against me. And no - I'm not disregarding your snark and sarcasm. In fact, I'm very much taking it into consideration when assessing what you have to say.

I'm the person "perpetuating the issue"? Right. I guess you didn't see the other posts before mine. Including one rather blatant example of "white knighting" I may add. If you have anything else to say to me, take it to PM. I'm done with you here.

2 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

It's rather hypocritical and ironic you should say all that.. because you're making assumptions in your post. Two stand out.

1. That Ignus is a childish, unprofessional idiot and completely in the wrong here and DE is the victim here. You don't know what either party has said to each other at all. You didn't read their emails or hear their phone convos (or whatever medium they communicated with). No one knows exactly what was said and done. You don't know what kind of people Ignus and whoever he dealt with really are. All we know is what we've been told and infer based on that. Ignus hasn't said much on this issue - a good idea I may add - except to say "X happened and I apologize to you guys because I can't do this anymore." But even that little thing speaks volumes. He feels bad about the situation and how it has and will affect everyone and kept low key about it. He could easily drag DE through the mud with whatever details - but has clearly chosen not to.

DE? They haven't said squat. Mind you they don't have to - that's their prerogative. But their silence also speaks volumes.

Ignus came out and said he butted heads with DE...and they butted back harder. He even admitted that he's passionate about his work and that he could have possibly handled it better. He's a freelance artist, so it's a given that DE's not the only client he's done business with (check out his DeviantArt page - some of that artwork's for book covers he was commissioned to do). As such, he ought to know a thing or two about how to engage with deal with clients of varying temperaments and tastes. And I'm sure he's aware of how to give the client what they want while at the same time offering his own suggestions while being civil

I feel what happened here is a clash of minds - that of an artist and their vision, trying to make a client happy and trying to earn a living doing so, and that of a client with a large but fragile ego that feels threatened by someone with possibly enviable skill and style. Oh I agree that Ignus could have probably handled that situation better...I don't what exactly went down of course...but it takes two to tango. Even though Ignus rubbed someone at DE the wrong way, they should have had the maturity to step back and let cooler heads prevail. Instead, a talented artist - whose work the community has liked and helped make DE a bit more money I may add - got thrown under the bus. And for what? Petty stubbornness? A sense of jealousy? Who knows. But he was definitely thrown under the bus.

DE really shot themselves in the foot here. The sheer amount of salt being generated by this one thread here - and on Reddit - is proof of that.

That being said, your bias against Ignus / for DE really shows mate. At least have the decency to try and play Devil's Advocate and try to look at both sides.

Here's a pro-tip: It happens. Don't take my word for it though...Have a look at Digital Extreme's entry on Glassdoor.com. The comments by present and ex-employees there speak volumes of the kind of work environment that employees have and have had to deal with. They speak of bad communication. An "Old Boy's Club" mentality. Big egos and inflexible attitudes. That's it's not a good place for an artist to work for. 

To Ignus, your work with DE will be missed. You contributed much to the community. It's a shame you and DE couldn't get along in the end, but all things considered, it was probably for the best. It's regrettable that bridges were burned here and things ended on as sour a note as they did.I wish you luck in your future ventures and hope you can find a company that you can really work with well. Your talent as an artist and ability to make a person's vision come alive is undeniable.

Where do i make assumptions?

The one at the bottom was made as an example to show the ridiculousness of assumptions.

If you are talking about the first paragraph

"For all we know, Ignus bla bla bla ...."

Then i can say you completely misunderstood my comment. That was to say that we currently know very little about the situation and as such, For all we know, DE or Ignus could have been in the wrong and that we should not speculate about it as doing so will lead to a lot of false assumptions.

Again, stop making assumptions. Really, your assumptions are just so asinine. Saying that DE have fragile egos and the art team is running out of ideas are just assumptions. It really is ironic that you call me out on making assumptions when i only made some as an example, then proceed to assume that DE is insecure, egomanical and thoughtless. You are forgetting that DE is hiring ignus to create deluxe skins, DE have designed almost everything else.

Your favourite weapon? DE

Your favourite tileset? DE

Your favourite warframe? DE

This entire game? DE

Your favourite deluxe skins? Ignus and even then, Ignus only comes up with the concept, DE tweaks and models it so DE still does work here.

Its really odd to see you call me out on making assumptions about Ignus that he is childish and ignorant, then proceed to say "Ignus could drag DE out in the mud". We all know what this means.

A) you already think DE is in the wrong here and ignus did nothing wrong.

B)Your mind is already made up and whatever anyone says wont change it.

There is no point in assuming what happens. You have already come to the assumption that DE is in the wrong and everyone who tries to point out stuff in DEs favour is a white knight.

Where in my comment have i said that i think DE is perfect? This is so ironic seeing that you think Ignus is perfect and DE is the villian in this story. I admit, i like DE, however, i dont think they are perfect. Bringing out stereotypes is not needed and will only escalate the situation.

I believe that yes, DE has faults and rather large ones at that, like refusing to listen to the community, and i have been fustrated by many things like increasing ducat prices, respurce sinks, conclave, the vacuum within and much much more but that still doesn't mean DE is a villian. I am no whiteknight if you can believe it, im just tired of so many people insulting DE for something like this when they clearly do not know why changes were made and how concept art works. Tweaks have to be done, i said it once in my main comment but ill say it again.

Ignus is overly ambitious for his skins. The reason why most people hate DE's tweaks and talk about how DE ruins the skins is because Ignus creates skins that are ambitious. Most of the stuff like details and the figure are borderline impossible to add to the game. So when Banshee soprano gets her figure tweaked and her spikes replaced, everyone is angry at DE for not following Ignus's art even though its impossible to. Similary, the spikes on ember posess a lot of faces, making it challenging to model so they blunt some out. The skirt is there to balance Ember as having one side be extremely detailed but another side be essentially plain white looks good in 2D but bad in 3D. The head blade, while i agree that it does not look good, is there to keep up with the Mohawk theme that ember has.

Some of the changes, like i said in my original post was completely justified. There is a difference between creating 2D book covers and converting those 2D drawings into a 3D model. Many adjustments have to be made to the anatomy to make it fit. Im sure that Ignus knows how freelancing and concept art works, but not how concept art has to be converted into a 3D model and edited themetically to fit in with the game. 

Tl;dr im not a whiteknight, stop making assumptions.

Edited by DefekteDelfin

I happen to be on youtube tonight listening to why someone was leaving Warframe just out of curiosity and he happen to mention that the person who created the beautiful new Ember skin that was shown in the last DSev stream Ignus Dei was let go over creative differences. I had not seen anything on the forum about that. What a loss, my understanding is he designed quite a few skins for some of the original Warframes. Being an artist myself I know we can sometimes be territorial about artwork, but to have someone of such talent lost is a pity.  In any case I'm sure someone with his talent will scope him up quite quickly. Thank you Agnus Dei for all your designs you will be missed:) 

Yeah not sure what specifically happened and it was probably a matter of professional courtesy as to why exactly he left the scene.

Basically he said that he butted heads with the art team.  Not sure specifically how it played out but of course that just raises more questions that will probably never be answered.

Either way a fairly massive loss of creative talent in a game that literally lives or dies by said creative talent and the content they bring.

Not sure what exactly went down to get to this point so just going forward:

We're gonna miss what you brought to the table Ignus, goodness knows there's a good number of us who still want what you brought to the table.

Edited by Irorone

1 hour ago, Pendragon1951 said:

As a fellow artist I know we can be very territorial about our artwork, but I would have thought after all the great work he has done DE could have met him somewhere in the middle?

Well... in terms of changes to the designs... I think that's pretty middle ground. Compare what they changed to what they kept the same or similar. Also as an artist, I'm the opposite, although I will admit I don't think I speak for a lot of artist's when I say this, but when I do work for someone else, I do it to their specifications because they are the ones paying me. Not saying I'm professional, but I do like to get paid and to extend the contract/partnership as much as I can.

2 hours ago, Pendragon1951 said:

As a fellow artist I know we can be very territorial about our artwork, but I would have thought after all the great work he has done DE could have met him somewhere in the middle?

But why? He just made the concept drawing (note : CONCEPT) and DE made it 'Game-Ready' by adding her Mohawk etc. (like seriously, how can you not give her a Mohawk when that's her thing?) and smaller adjustments. There really is no middle in this case. The Skirt? Probably to prevent Drama (you know this Forum, just look at how long this Thread has been going on ffs) like with the Prime Operator Suits (like wtf people..wtf, its just a damn suit). Mohawk is self explanatory. That arm thing and the minor body changes.. meh. That might have been a topic to discuss, but as far as i can tell the major Problem for him was the Mohawk... so yeah, can't blame DE.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:15 PM, Hypernaut1 said:

A huge majority of players won't care about this nitpick and will buy the Ember skin anyway.

I don't remember anyone complaining about the mowhawk during the dev stream.

DE cared enough to fire Ignus over it, thats a problem. A swift and slipshod one that I hope not to see again, if not initially resolved.

Edited by UrielColtan

From what he said he didnt want DE to add the Mohawk on the Helmet so it's his own fault imho. The Mohawk is her thing just like the Tophat is Limbos thing, or Novas Void'ish looking Helmets, can't expect DE to change the 'style' of a Warframe just because you don't like her thing and then blame them. Also, he only did Concept drawings.. it's in the Name..Concept..ever seen a Concept Car that got released 1:1 the way the Concept looked like? It's like somebody making a BMW Concept Design without the 2-Grille design and then blame BMW for adding said Grille design.