Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Snowball Showdown Feedback

CephalonHibiya

Just now, Soul-scar said:

If the event was a team orientated alert called "CLEM'S REVENGE" where team members get to play as a Clem clone to take revenge on the Grineer bosses using a modified toknor that fires snowball nukes I think everyone would get involved.

I think everyone would probably enjoy that.

2 minutes ago, Phasedragon said:

Except the rewards are just copies of last year's sigils. Wreath, evergreen, and the like. Stop overreacting.

It's not about overreacting and I don't think I am, it's about having a constructive conversation about what this event did right and wrong. And Stratos Emblems receive an additional counter for each Tactical Alert you complete. So if you're working on that one, then you have to go through this event. Hallowed Nightmares is a repeated Tactical Alert and yet it's still fun for most people. 

2 hours ago, pauli133 said:

Mandatory PvP is never acceptable in a PvE game.

It's not at all mandatory, there's no need to play it.

That being said though, this is a Co-Op PvE game. It draws people who are interested in playing Co-Op PvE, not PvP. People simply are not interested in competition in this game, that's not why we're here, even for people that enjoy PvP. Hardly anyone participates in PvP and is a waste of development resources and they should be focusing on improving aspects of the game that more people participate in.

Edited by Ceryk

I think a lot of people forget that the conclave was not originally part of the game, which is why it doesn't feel organic to many players. As someone who goes to the conclave once in a while, but doesn't play it very much because of constant balance, connection and player match-up issues, i think it is fair to have issues with a tactical alert being in the conclave. The conclave has always been a niche area that only certain players of warframe enjoy or can participate in. It is highly competitive and not matched appropriately due to a lack of a consistent player base. There is a lot of wait time between matches and often not enough players. It was brought in by demand, and many of those who asked for it have left it alone because it wasn't exactly as they expected, not because DE initially had planned on it, or at least, delivering it to us when they did, which is why it has gone through so many reworks and overhauls.

While this event doesn't have some of the inherent issues of balance and the like, it still has the connection and player match-up issues that conclave has been plagued with since its inception. And while players do not have to play the alert, the incentives are locked behind it and many people want it and will have to struggle against players who are frequent attendees of the conclave. I am by no means denying it isn't fun or something that shouldn't be in the game, it just probably shouldn't have been linked to a tactical alert that affects not only individual players but their clans as well

5 minutes ago, xochild said:

I think everyone would probably enjoy that.

It's not about overreacting and I don't think I am, it's about having a constructive conversation about what this event did right and wrong. And Stratos Emblems receive an additional counter for each Tactical Alert you complete. So if you're working on that one, then you have to go through this event. Hallowed Nightmares is a repeated Tactical Alert and yet it's still fun for most people. 

Except nobody here has said anything positive about it. In fact, it's not even valid criticism of the mode itself, only criticism of the fact that it's pvp.

In a snowball fight there is no score, you just hit each other with snowballs that's it. Instead this tactical alert just brings out the PvP players with it's scoring system. And who brings a melee into a snowball fight? If this was suppose to be fun like a real snowball fight it's done poorly.

Edited by NekroArts

1 hour ago, xochild said:

Yes, I did. And to be honest, at the end, I just gave up, stood there, and let the enemy kill me a few times to mercifully end the match prematurely.

Yes, I know, I was on the other team, xochild. Maybe you don't remember my name, but I remember yours. We wanted to have fun, but you just went in the middle of the map to die or waited to be spawn killed. It ruined the game for both teams, since it was competely unfair. Your teammates lost because of you, and I'm sure they were mad because losing due to an afk player is not fun at all. I didn't enjoyed this game either, just like my teammates, because it wasn't a fair victory, and so we did not deserve to win this way.

They made a Tactical Alert so we can throw snowballs to each other and have fun, but you ruined the fun of everyone. 

"Your actions have consequences."

Edited by Blade_Wolf_16

My only complains until now are:

- Why there is melee on a snowball fight. The melee hit detection is already pretty bad on P2P, people permasliding around killing you in one hit isnt fun.

- How people are being able to bring PvE stats and weapons to the event? How did this even got past unnoticied? Just saw a game were 3 players had hundreds of health, gorgon, penta and a Mirage could spam her prism with max range. The carnage ended in 2 minutes.

- Why skill divisions still dont exist

I haven't played the alert and there's one thing that will determine whether I play it or not.

Are Snowball Showdown matches counted among your Conclave stats?  if yes, then it can go die.  If no, I might give it a try, since it's about as fair and evenhanded of an environment as possible.

I totally agree with the original poster. I felt compelled to do it just for the sigil, I didn't have fun and I'm glad I'm over with it. If you think about it, people like me are ruining the experience for the people who actually like it. Personally I haven't stood still waiting for the kills, even if I could have done it, because I really wanted to try it out and give it a chance, but what if a player wants to have fun and finds the other squad standing still? Just give us an event that everyone can enjoy, and it won't happen.

It sucked lol. For me it was just about waiting for the time to run out so I could be done with it and being so gleeful that once I entered a match about to end--only to find out it didn't count towards completing it so I was forced to play two more times to finish it off. I got all I wanted out of conclave and only bother to come back if they release a new skin I want. I would have had more fun if this was some PVE thing giving you snowballs to throw at some enemy. Hell, reward me with the snowball with horrid damage just so I could forma the hell out of it just for fun. 

16 minutes ago, Arkvold said:

Are Snowball Showdown matches counted among your Conclave stats?  if yes, then it can go die.  If no, I might give it a try, since it's about as fair and evenhanded of an environment as possible.

nope, you are given a snowball and a candy cane, and can't use warframe powers, its basic and pretty fun though the meele is a bit OP compared to the snow balls, 

far as I can tell your team doesn't even need to win for it to count! you just need to play three matches to get it, (I won two and lost one but all three matches counted) so it doesn't matter how well you do, just run around a bit and have fun. 

I don't know what the OP is complaining about, its not like the Grineer is going to play snowball fights with you, making it tenno v tenno makes most sense. 

and no ones forcing anybody to play, its not even an amazing looking sigil. 

Edited by morningstar999

I think with regard to the standard conclave rewards, most of them, apart from the mods, (which are, in my opinion doing more harm than good, but that isn't the issue) are minuscule and rarely worth unlocking. The skins you can earn are not extravagant but rather a re-skin of existing skins in the market or rather plain and a reward for devotion, and the warframes you can earn there can be earned in the PvE. So apart from the leveled sigils, and the syandana, there really isn't much incentive for players to participate excessively in a PvP system to earn typhoon, especially when it isnt a balanced system or full of players. I enjoy PvP games, and i enjoy the challenge of them, but i find that the conclave isn't a challenge as much as a place where connection and standing have rule. Most PvP games, a new player can take out a veteran player if they have some skill, most rewards for long term play are quality of life improvements rather than quality of game improvements like some mods and frames are. The conclave however promotes veterans rather than use and does not properly commit to the type of combat PvP it wants to be.

None of this though is relevant to the discussion, the discussion is the aspect of a less popular, add-on game-play, that isn't critical to the main game, being part of the main game's primary system in such a serious manner. Tactical alerts affect more than you think, i highly doubt the original argument was solely about the sigil, as tactical alerts affect clan standing, clan rewards, personal standing and personal rewards. Then with this alert you now have conclave standing that may have been added to. Again, taking the enjoyment aside which is subjective, especially since it is based on the team you are with and your personal interest in the mission, this event probably shouldn't have been a tactical alert but a separate event with a less unique reward. (Like a bundle of 10 forma or something)

This is a cute idea, but executed poorly.  I've never played Conclave and its not fun getting massacred by people clearly in a group of sorts (they were constantly grouped together mowing us down) while try hards on my team were raging at me for having the most deaths.  It would have been fun to have had an even match, but it seems to just throw whoever shows up together.  Just glad I didn't have to win, so I did my three and was done.  Real shame since, done right, this could have been loads of fun.

Also, melee hit detection is really wonky with those candy canes.  There was a number of times where I got mowed down from one to two warframes away.

I will not take part in the tactical alert for that reason. 

DE needs to learn that the vast majority of us do not want PvP in a PvE game. We certainly don't want it forced on us. That is for sure. 

So I won't be doing it. It's just a sigil anyways. DE will only learn to not do PvP tactical alerts if we boycott them. If we don't do the alerts, DE will realize they are a bad idea. So I will be sitting this one out. 

I suppose the problem is though that PvP is in the game because there were people that wanted it in a PvE game. There are players that want PvP. The PvE is definitely a major draw for a lot of players and they leave the game when they have exhausted themselves of it. I think for those that did want it, it was a way to continue enjoying warframe after they had done everything they had wanted to do in the PvP.

Personally, I think the problem is the execution and integration of the PvP. If it was better integrated and balanced like Destiny's PvP (which has its own flaws, but is one of the few PvP games that has similar types of abilities as warframe). If it was executed better, on multiple fronts, i think it may have become a bigger part of the game.

It still doesn't mean though that a PvE system like the Tactical Alert should have pulled in the Conclave. As much as bringing up comparisons is something i shouldn't do, especially this comparison, Destiny is the game that can be used as a building block and reference point for warframe. It has a co-op system as well as a PvP system, and it meshed rather well when it came out. Nether effected the other in significant areas, and you could play and earn the same rewards on both sides, even if you chose to play one exclusively. I think waframe does the co-op better in a lot of respects, but it still has some work to do if it wants to integrate all its systems together, and have it be organic, not forced. Archwing and conclave are almost seperate games as it stands right now because they are tacked on as an after thought and are woefully incomplete or not completely polished in comparison to the co-op.

1 hour ago, xochild said:

There are a lot of Tenno that maybe haven't played Conclave before, don't like Conclave, or are new players that are being forced into playing this Tactical Alert and are going up against Tenno that have loads of experience with Conclave. To say matches can end 1:50 isn't an exaggeration.

You think that is only happening now with just the Tactical Alert? Bruh, thanks to how small the Conclave playerbase is, this s*** happens daily and I mean it.

Keep in mind that I myself somehow got to rank 5 in Conclave...and I still ain't got no skill to show it, yet I am still getting matched with people who have been playing Conclave sence...I don't know, based on how good their aim is (their brains have turned into aimbots), I think it's safe to say that most Conclave veterans who are still around have been playing sence Conclave was added to the game.

11 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I will not take part in the tactical alert for that reason. 

We certainly don't want it forced on us. 

So I won't be doing it. 

Since you won't participate, it means they aren't forcing us to. You don't want to play for the sigil? Fine, but who cares? 

That's you opinion, I have mine, and people have their own too. Some players like it, some don't, and unless we all vote if PvP Tactical Alert are good or bad, it will always be a draw. Boycotting those alerts won't help anybody, nor will it change anything.

I agree boycotting probably wont help anybody, though it may change some of DE's stats when it comes to running another one and they do really check those stats. You did bring up something interesting though, and i think they should probably implement it for the next tactical event, regardless, is have a voting system on what type of gameplay should be involved, conclave, archwing or PvE, long enough in advance that any necessary changes to what they have in mind can be put into effect.

The other option is having an equivalent amount of missions offered of standard missions of either type that can be turned in for the reward so those who do not want to participate in, say the conclave, have another avenue to earn the reward

PvP and team PvP always brings out my inner salt, probably since I'm still not good at this game. I have mixed feelings about this alert, but the fact that you get something no matter if you win or lose is always a bonus (in mods or standing, and in this case a sigil). For a PvP event, this was fairly fun. Everybody has the same weapons (though the cane was much better than the whip), the maps were cool, and I didn't play with jerks. However, the parkour mechanics felt a little wonky and I can never figure out how to ground slam as opposed to aerial melee (for the game in general), where it feels important here. If only we got some festive skins to distinguish teams while we played (like one for sun and one for moon that only show in the match)

Edited by LabMan95