Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller Settings Overhaul

Novaseta

The key bindings system is broken. The fundamental challenge of any game should be within its antagonists, its content, and its progression, not in how poor the controller setup is. 

The problems:
Inability to use certain functions in different game modes, while having a comfortable, and customized controller setup in another. As an example; because there is no dedicated controller bindings menu for archwing, optimizing controller bindings for warframe mode, can sometimes make it impossible to use things like afterburners and boost. If I bind crouch to left thumb, and sprint to left stick, this creates the aforementioned effect, and with some research this is actually quite a common issue, forcing a lot of players to just avoid Archwing missions altogether, in favor of a more comfortable setup in warframe mode. 

No way to unmap a key that isn't convoluted and confusing. The game almost tries to force you to map a button. This prevents the player from simply mapping with a third party program like xpadder, and even causes issues for mapping without such programs. 

The Solutions that developers could take to resolve this issue:

1. (The ideal choice) Total and complete, separate keybinding options, for controllers across the board for ALL modes. With all due respect, that is kind of a no-brainer nowadays, with games that have multiple formats of play rolled into one. Why this wasn't implemented to begin with is baffling. In hybrid missions the control mode switches automatically, so simply provide a means to customize each mode, separately and completely. And add a "clear" or unbind function for keys. As a way to simplify this for players who like the default configuration, simply map the defaults accordingly. 

2. Simply add the bindings for the arch wings into the current controller bindings option, and unbind archwing abilities from warframe abilities (like sprint, and crouch)

3. (The workaround fix) The easiest and most cost effective solution... Set things up in a way that the player can find their own means of programming the controls. This is literally as simple as providing an in game option, to disable controller support... This would allow the player to map their own keyboard controls to their controller via programs like Xpadder. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't have ever been able to write this. It explains most of the problems that I'm thinking about with the archframe mission + a controller. May not be easy to transmit several input configurations through the same systems, so I'd be patient but I don't think I'll be clearing the time and finishing it on something I'm simplifying in a comment. You might know sooner than I do.