Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Issues with Nidus' 1

Sky_

Nidus' entire kit practically revolves around getting stacks to use his abilities - his only non-mutation abilities reflect this. One sticks players to the ground, and the other is his stack builder. They pair perfectly in theory, but not in execution.

However, his only way of actually getting stacks - His 1 - is filled with flaws that make it all but a situational tool; and when his entire kit relies on it - situational is not what it should be. From my matches, the only times I've successfully landed his 1 are on players who are stuck in melee swings, and are completely unaware of my presence. Or when they are chasing me (while flying low across the ground, as it has a lack of a vertical hurtbox) and I can turn around and  have them run into the wave itself. This happens maybe once per match. Note on maybe, I've gone matches where I haven't been presented an opportunity where using the ability would even seem like a good idea. 

What makes Nidus' 1 so difficult to execute?

While not (probably) the ability, it's straight up buggy. I can't figure out a cause for this case of it not working properly 

Two direct strikes - but no stack nor damage done. You can see that latency is not a problem in this match - shots immediately hit the target and his shields are damage - same is true when he shocks me. And this isn't a one-off case. Same situation, an attacker is approaching me as I use the ability. Yet no hit occurs.

Another case of a buggy cast - this one likely being a problem latent with ground-limited abilities. As in, it cannot be casted while airborne. Note the text above the energy bar, stating that it cannot be cast while airborne.

These problems make the ability clunky, and awkward to use inside the highly mobile and airborne setting that is conclave - and again, Nidus has to land this ability to even consider his passive, or his 3 and 4.

The actual hurtbox of the ability is slow and narrow, this is extreme enough where a player could watch Nidus preform the cast animation, and just walk sideways and be completely safe. Even with a 2--> 1 combo they can do this.

Bear in mind that was sixty five energy spent in order to pull the combo off. And it hardly guarantees a single hit. For that kind of investment, something should be in return. And even then, the player could have rolled and be even more sure of his safety - but he was blinded by the Larva ability. He didn't even know it was coming, but it couldn't catch him slowly backing up.

Outside the actual execution of his 1, the ability is fine. Damage isn't severe unless used with many stacks under Nidus, and with the current situation of his 1 - that almost never happens in anything but extremely specific situations. So specific that I haven't been able to experience it once to report on it. Even just getting one requires special circumstances. 

Possible Solutions

• Fix the general bugginess of the ability. From the hurtbox seemingly not existing on some casts (gfy 1&2) to it's grounded limitation (gfy 3)
  • Allow the 2-->1 combo to be a consistent way of getting stacks, with just using his 1 as the situational method of getting stacks. This could be achieved by have the 2 lock a person in a certain field of movement - the tendril latching onto the player gives that appearance. You can't run further than the leashes' length. It shouldn't do this for long though - a long lasting CC ability with just a 25 energy cost would be too much. The current duration works well if the 1 if followed up immediately after.
  • Increase the range and speed of the cast time and "wave", allowing it to more consistently be used as an ambush tool. This will also make it generally a better experience, as the delay from cast time to the wave is long enough where an unaware enemy could stumble to safety.

Edited by Sky_

With great frames, comes great... Glitches.

49 minutes ago, Sky_ said:

Allow the 2-->1 combo to be a consistent way of getting stacks, with just using his 1 as the situational method of getting stacks. This could be achieved by have the 2 lock a person in a certain field of movement - the tendril latching onto the player gives that appearance. You can't run further than the leashes' length. It shouldn't do this for long though - a long lasting CC ability with just a 25 energy cost would be too much. The current duration works well if the 1 if followed up immediately after.

Or reduce its energy consumption to make it easier. Maybe reducing the leashes' length too would make it easier to compensate the energy spent?

50 minutes ago, Sky_ said:

Increase the range and speed of the cast time and "wave", allowing it to more consistently be used as an ambush tool. This will also make it generally a better experience, as the delay from cast time to the wave is long enough where an unaware enemy could stumble to safety.

Not the range, but more the cast speed and the wave speed. Increases in range would make it way too strong.

Just now, Kyoketsu said:

Not the range, but more the cast speed and the wave speed. Increases in range would make it way too strong.

I can agree with that, one would be best, but both would be too much. At the moment it could use either of em'.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be honest I've been playing Nidus in conclave and I love him, you just gotta think more along the lines of luring people to where you want them to go or predicting where they're going to land. It takes some getting used to but it's so satisfying to just tank a full magazine, go undying and end up killing the other person. In terms of the bugs, I've personally never experienced them but I hope they get fixed soon.