Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TAA vs. SMAA vs. Pre-Patch Temporal

Extroah

Heya DE and fellow Tennos.

I'm probably not the only one who brought that up, but please bring back the pre-Patch Temporal + SMAA Option.

I'm running forced 128x Mixed Sample AA through NVidia now just to make TAA look somewhat okay, but i still have very weird glitches with it which i've never had with the previous Temporal Option. For example, when looking at the Starchart, the Kuva Fortress starts flickering weirdly and the whole game itself seems to get so pixelated that it's not good to the eyes. I'm running SMAA now with my 128x MSAA and it's fine again, but i prefered the blurred style of the previous one by a LOT.

Everything else is set as high as it can get.

My Rig if it's of Interest/Importance : i7 4790k OC to 4.8GHz and Watercooled, 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600MHZ RAM, Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark1 Mainboard, 2x Gigabyte GTX970 with slight OC.

For comparison :

SMAA :

http://imgur.com/a/a9gc1

TAA :

http://imgur.com/a/MvKI5

Temporal (without additional 128x MSAA) :

http://imgur.com/a/gd9gU

Edited by Extroah

It looks as if DE implemented a Post process sharpening filter to compensate for the blur from TAA.

Don't know if it's in the pipeline to introduce adjustable sharpness, as i've been wondering myself what DE are referencing with the "8x".

Certainly, it's highly unlikely they are using data from the previous 8 frames (~8ms), i can't imagine the frame-buffer would be very happy, and it would be weird to label TAA as taking 8 samples per pixel (makes it worse than MSAA as memory footprints go).

So it looks as if DE are still experimenting with how they want their AA implementation to work. Given DE are on holiday, we'll likely need to wait for them to come back to get any real changes. The fact 'Motion Blur' is currently required(is it still?) should be indicative of its current state.

That being said, TAA is superior when in motion, and in that regard, it is still the best method for AA in game. Every other method creates horrible pixel crawl with even tiny movements. 

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Geraaltix said:

I can't even tell if anything has changed if I enable SMAA. Is it because I'm on Intel HD graphics? SMAA and No AA looks exactly the same to me, while FXAA looks as it should and TAA looks terribly blurry, so I don't use it.

I think you need to configure your graphics card to use the AA from the game. Sometimes the card's config overlap the game's config and it don't use any method of AA or supress the SM and ML AntiAliasing.
Also:
The game tell you by a quite big box that you need to restart the game to AA make effect. Some people don't see it and think that the SMAA is broken.