Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Resource Balancing Solutions

Svardraged

Hey DE, I love warframe I've got 600+ hours in game, these recent issues with resource costs and player stockpiles or as I now dub it Stock Creep has given me a few Ideas that I think could really help DE, Warframe, & the community.

1. Add a daily loss amount to all resources and explain it as ship upkeep. This might upset some players but if it's well explained it will only be good for the health of the game. If people want a lore reason then explain It hasn't been necessary until now because of stored resources from the old war.

2. Re-balance the star charts drop tables and where resources drop from to encourage play on all planets, then re-balance recipes and research costs around this new system.

3. Change dojo research costs based on regularly active clan members rather than static clan tiers with spike just being rolled into the average over time.

What these changes will do is allow you to precisely price every item to balance fairness and platinum purchases; not wall of new players of from content with massive grind, ensure good squad distribution on all planets, remove poor systems like nitain, AND implement a new repeatable quest which I explain below.

Emergency landing: a fusion between excavation and defence triggered when certain resources are too low, the liset must land and the tenno must excavate desperately needed resources and then defend the liset as it refuels and repairs itself. Rewards a small amount of several rare resources.

Hope you'll consider these changes, Thanks for reading.

EDIT: some Fair criticism here and on reddit let me address some of it.

1.DECAY IS FRUSTRATING: I didn't mean to imply the resource drain would be fast; something like 1 neurode a week and 5 nanospores a day.

2.EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN BYREBALANCE: By rebalance I meant decrease item costs due to decreased player stockpiles, as for redistribution of resources on the star chart drop that DE already did a pretty good job.

3: THAT MISSION IDEA IS FLAWED: The mission is meant to reward a somewhat sizable amount of resources, essentially a bump for players who only play occasionally, but I can see how it can seem lame.

EDIT 2

4. Better more useful and varried resource sinks is a possible alternative to #1 perhaps temporary armor boosters and craftable only cosmetics or something?

Anyone have alternative suggestions?

Edited by Svardraged
Update

In my eyes it is balanced mostly already, problem is most peopel still complain and not understand they not "need" the resource right away, playing trough the starchart and just unlocking mostly all slowly is what people not seem to want at all and ask for taxi to this alert or that planet.

Problem in this are the players itself who not want progress apperently or are to lazy becasue tehy want to get to the "endgame" right from the start.

In other games you also need to lvl up first etc. so why is it in this game so hard for people to just play and discover stuff for themself or jsut simply ask for help instead of skipping all? Getting resources is not hard if you just are willing to unlock the map nodes so it is easier for even future content.

About 1, having resource decay or daily lost, this is will Warframe war 1, among players, specialty since the Hema thing. ( we dont need more grind )

About 2, I think its ok now...

About 3, well my point again , hema rage in disguise. If people want to have solo clans, its fine, but, the point of a clan isn't about 1 man army.

Edited by Wearnopanties

34 minutes ago, Marine027 said:

In my eyes it is balanced mostly already, problem is most peopel still complain and not understand they not "need" the resource right away, playing trough the starchart and just unlocking mostly all slowly is what people not seem to want at all and ask for taxi to this alert or that planet.

Problem in this are the players itself who not want progress apperently or are to lazy becasue tehy want to get to the "endgame" right from the start.

In other games you also need to lvl up first etc. so why is it in this game so hard for people to just play and discover stuff for themself or jsut simply ask for help instead of skipping all? Getting resources is not hard if you just are willing to unlock the map nodes so it is easier for even future content.

I disagree, costs seem to be slowly skewing upwards or requiring rare items more often, the changes I suggest just stop players from stockpiling resources which forces DE to adjust their costs, currently the system has infinite inflation.

In addition the changes I suggest it wouldn't allow players to skip right to the endgame or completely remove grinding, in fact it would incentivise players to play more often on lower tier planets, and I didn't suggest removing level restrictions or junctions at all.

35 minutes ago, Wearnopanties said:

About 1, having resource decay or daily lost, this is will Warframe war 1, among players, specialty since the Hema thing. ( we dont need more grind )

About 2, I think its ok now...

About 3, well my point again , hema rage in disguise. If people want to have solo clans, its fine, but, the point of a clan isn't about 1 man army.

I know a lot of people would be upset but it's not suggested without good reason , and If DE tunes the system fairly it wouldn't ne more grind it would be the optimal amount of grind.

And the star chart is decent but if my changes were used it would require some rebalancing.

I feel the Hema Rage is somewhat justified by the games current inflation, and yes clans are meant to be soial but there should be some adjustment to current costs because not all clans are fully active.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)RaptorianKing said:

I agree with number 2. some planets are completely useless like Sedna, however I don't like number 1.

It would prevent resource creep and be good for the game long term though, and yes it would cause some rage but imagine the benefits! Optimal grind amount, no bs time gates, no nitain, no massive cost increases!

37 minutes ago, Svardraged said:

I disagree, costs seem to be slowly skewing upwards or requiring rare items more often, the changes I suggest just stop players from stockpiling resources which forces DE to adjust their costs, currently the system has infinite inflation.

In addition the changes I suggest it wouldn't allow players to skip right to the endgame or completely remove grinding, in fact it would incentivise players to play more often on lower tier planets, and I didn't suggest removing level restrictions or junctions at all.

This idea might have sense in a perfect world where everybody has no other things to do other than play warframe, but! as it stands, this world isn't perfect. I constantly run out of some resource or another spending them on restores, formas, specters, new stuff, dodjo, and I don't have the time for more grind. Don't project your issues on other players. If you don't spend resources it doesn't mean there is inflation.

EDIT:

Mind that I've been playing this game since mid. April 2013 with only one month of forced brake, so I should fall under the category of players that have these ephemeral stockpiles of "nanospores".

Edited by Bouldershoulder

45 minutes ago, Svardraged said:

It would prevent resource creep and be good for the game long term though, and yes it would cause some rage but imagine the benefits! Optimal grind amount, no bs time gates, no nitain, no massive cost increases!

My current Warframe time, is Sorties, raids, Void traces, Primes and formas... . Having more grind to do, because of resource lost over time, (Argon style ) please no, I see no benefit on that. I do occasional resource farm if mostly pollys cause I use alot of it for pizzas. but very occasional.

Edited by Wearnopanties

30 minutes ago, Wearnopanties said:

My current Warframe time, is Sorties, raids, Void traces, Primes and formas... . Having more grind to do, because of resource lost over time, (Argon style ) please no, I see no benefit on that. I do occasional resource farm if mostly pollys cause I use alot of it for pizzas. but very occasional.

So you're saying you have few resources due to well implemented resource sinks? Hmmm.... better disposable resource sinks actually sounds like a damn good idea...

2 hours ago, Svardraged said:

Add decay or a daily loss amount to all resources and explain it as ship upkeep. 

1 minute ago, Svardraged said:

But you already kind of are, in the form of energy restores, forma, and catalysts, it's just that the loss is useful to you which is a brilliant solution.

Please, care to clarify, because I cannot see your point now....

1 minute ago, Wearnopanties said:

Please, care to clarify, because I cannot see your point now....

I'm saying there are already things draining your resources regularly, but they aren't doing it fast enough to prevent large stockpiles, so an alternative to implementing passive resource drain would be broader more varied single use items.

Even the argon, I leave the game for sometime and most of them are gone... its annoying...

I don't agree at all with that idea, Long time players should have their stockpiles, since we are playing for quite sometime, we should have that "advantage". It reach a time in warframe that the stuff you normally do, when progressing thought the game, its gone, since we no longer have the need to focus farm on a specific resource, except for the occasional stuff that players spend. I think its a part of warframe lvl progression... Like other games too.